• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Holy sh*t. It actually is
ksE0C0im_o.gif

Hugely important final in terms of the future GOAT discussion. Rafa can equal Roger, whilst Novak can draw within one of Rafa and two of Roger.

Rafa may only realistically win one more French Open next year, and that's probably only if he continues with his mental edge over everyone with victory in this final. Novak maybe has two more potential GS winning years in him. I don't see Roger winning another one.

It's really on a knife's edge.

Hugely important final in terms of the future GOAT discussion. Rafa can equal Roger, whilst Novak can draw within one of Rafa and two of Roger.

Rafa may only realistically win one more French Open next year, and that's probably only if he continues with his mental edge over everyone with victory in this final. Novak maybe has two more potential GS winning years in him. I don't see Roger winning another one.

It's really on a knife's edge.
I'm not entirely sure how much this RG is affected by it being in October compared to the change in balls, but with the old balls in May/June I'd still blindly back Nadal for the forseeable future.

Nadal won't be the favorite anywhere but RG, but he's the 2nd best HC player in the world currently IMO. In hindsight he made some mistake not going to the USO.

Djokovic remains enigmatic to me. Somehow he's always simultaneously looking like sheet while bailing himself out by playing godly for 10 minutes in at the right time. I think he's more susceptible than Nadal to losing to the Nextgen, but he owns Nadal so badly off clay he'll easily be the favorite anywhere.

Dunno what will happen to Federer tbh. Not completely writing him off yet but if he loses another half step due to age/injury it's gonna go downhill for him quickly IMO. If he doesn't have the footspeed to hug the baseline and play ultra aggressively + keep matches short, etc he won't keep his ranking up and with tougher draws he'll be in for a super hard time, etc. COVID times have kept his ranking floating but he's probably looking at dropping a huge load of points next year. I think Fed will hang it up in 2021 if he doesn't make any deep runs at Grand Slam.

As for GOAT arguments. It's kind of a sad state how it's the only thing keeping tennis interesting for so long. Djoko is all but guaranteed to get the #1 record, but that's the most overrated record in tennis. I gues we'll see a lot more 'there's no goat' or takes influenced by recency bias than when Fed was clearly in the lead, but it hasn't been a fun way to watch tennis tbh.

In my opinion, Nadal is the favorite for tomorrow, but most of the pressure should be on him. For Djokovic to win this, beating Nadal in the RG final after what happened at the USO now that would be a bigger achievement than 40-15ing Federer three times.

I think that whether Nadal skipping the US open was a mistake or not will be decided by the outcome of this French Open final. Fully rested, not having to travel, quarantine and stuff, probably helped him a little, especially at his age.

Any of the 3 can be argued as the GOAT, depending on what angle you want to take. I have seen it said that Nadal had it hardest, because the first half of his career he had to face peak Federer, and in the second half peak Djokovic. But winning 'only' one AO is a problem, where Novak has been lethal. The narrative is that Federer had it comparatively easy, early on, but even when he'd win 2-3 slams a year routinely, he still had to beat Nadal in Wimbledon finals (06, 07), and defeat the likes of Safin and Roddick also. It's so even, that basically it's a case of pick your favourite.

TRENDING THREADS