• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 344 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I just have a question for Remco's fans : what were his main goals before the start of the season ?
If I just look at the way the team built his calendar, I would be tempted to say :

1. Vuelta
  2. LBL
  3. A major one week stage race : between Tirreno/Iztulia/Suisse
Or is Iztulia only preparation for LBL ?

Has he made any statements about this ?
Algarve, Norway San sebastian and Burgos are the races he can win

• Haha
Reactions: Salvarani
Roglic to me seems above the rest (as usual), but I would wait for when the road goes uphill to evaluate Remco's level. We never doubted his TT ability.

well... rog is supposedly the better TT-er and remco actually had the best time at the top of the hard climb, so...

certainly not much to go on, but it seems like it was in the TT and technical part of the course that Remco lost time.

and the real gap is between the two of them and the rest, not rog and remco, let's be fair now.

Reactions: Extinction
Roglic to me seems above the rest (as usual), but I would wait for when the road goes uphill to evaluate Remco's level. We never doubted his TT ability.
And yet a more comprehensive analysis would need to be done to understand where he lost those 5 sec. If, as I suspect, it was mostly due to marginally slower cornering, this means he climbed just as fast as Primoz. Sure that won't necessarilly translate into same strength on the climbs during the stages, but it still means something. If Remco just doesn't get psyched out during the rest of this race's climbs, he may yet surprise himself. And if he surprises himself, he will really know if he can take it to the best on the climbs in stage races of this length, which would be the necessary first step to being able to do it for 3 weeks on end. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
I don't really think cracking in Tirreno was anything psychological.

Now Itzulia might however give him a chance to make a decision between riding conservatively and trying some very aggressive moves.
I think on the double-Carpena, yes. Because he wasn't even in the game the first go up, when he had been attacking Pogi on the previous days' albiet shorter climbs. I don't think a simple drop in level can explain it on the first Carpena ascent. There I really think he got psyched out or at least that was part of it.

I think on the double-Carpena, yes. Because he wasn't even in the game the first go up, when he had been attacking Pogi on the previous days albiet shorter climbs. I don't think a simple drop in level can explain it on the first Carpena ascent. There I really think he got psyched out.
Dropping like a brick before overtaking a bunch of guys is something he's done numerous times. Twice in the Giro last year, Lombardia last year. It's like he can't stay above threshold for much longer than 10 minutes

Dropping like a brick before overtaking a bunch of guys is something he's done numerous times. Twice in the Giro last year, Lombardia last year. It's like he can't stay above threshold for much longer than 10 minutes
Yea, well, the way he came into the Giro I don't think allows for drawing a definitive conclusion. And the rest of last year, not always mind you, was conditioned by his lack of proper preparation due to the massive injury he sustained.

Granted, he also has not shown being able to stay above threshold for a sufficient amount of time to compete against the very best. It may be for these very reasons, however, that he I think was also psychologically defeated on the first Carpegna. I still say it remains to be seen if he can or cannot do it in the future. He needs a healthy year, without injury, and a solid Vuelta, then we shall have a better idea me thinks.

.....if he climbs at his rate rather than chasing small gaps. He needs to ride to his strength.
That is it indeed. Tadej and Primoz are both blessed with having a stinging accelleration. Remco, as you say, is a diesel. At the same time he will have to learn how to react to the brutal changes in pace at the top of long climbs deep into a race. Not every rider has the same trajectory or capacities. Clearly Remco rose fast into being able to win as a pro, but not as meteoric as Tadej's rise into the pinacle of the sport. It may be that the Belgian simply needs more time to develop and, again, he had a major setback at Lombardia, the effects of which he could still be dealing with. That made him delay his grand tour debut. In the meantime Pogacar went from 3rd at the Vuelta to winning two Tours all in succession. It could thus also be that Remco will not be able to arrive at that level, but surely he needs to get through this season demonstrating that he has the potential to get there. If not, set new goals. But let's see.

Last edited:
He has done it numerous times and always in cold conditions. Somehow I still believe the cold impacts him more than others. At least, it's the most plausible explanation to me. When he got dropped at the first Carpegna climb he wasn't above his normal threshold at all. He actually said that he could't reach his normal power level at that time. His explanation was that he had a bad day and was just not good enough that day so he couldn't compete. However, he was very competitive prior to that moment and also said that he was not feeling bad so there was no indication that he was in a bad shape. Even in Lombardia he said he was feeling good prior to stalling at that climb. He won a race prior to Lombardia in a typical Remco attack so there was a good reason to believe that he was competitive.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Remco with some praise for the fellow man :)

Evenepoel: I couldn't do anything more against 'idol' Roglic in Itzulia TT
'You needed a lot of balls to take risks' on technical course, says Belgian

"He won three times the Vuelta," he added, referring to Roglič. "So I think together with Tadej [Pogačar] he's the best GC rider in the world. He's a big idol and I'm looking up to him but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed to be second today."

"He won three times the Vuelta," he added, referring to Roglič. "So I think together with Tadej [Pogačar] he's the best GC rider in the world. He's a big idol and I'm looking up to him but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed to be second today."

probably reading too much into it, but i wonder if some of the pressure has actually come off after the setback in T-A and the unquestionable superiority of Pog.

now perhaps he can just focus on his growing his career at a normal rate and being the underdog in many races and enjoying when he has successes without just expecting them.

probably reading too much into it, but i wonder if some of the pressure has actually come off after the setback in T-A and the unquestionable superiority of Pog.

now perhaps he can just focus on his growing his career at a normal rate and being the underdog in many races and enjoying when he has successes without just expecting them.
This. He needs to just focus on his own performances and watch he'll surprise us against the Bigs. For if he get's cought up with what they are doing, he defeats himself.

PS. It is nice that he says Roglic is an idol, but he needs to sporting wise believe he can also "slay the Badger" in a manner of speaking. Perhaps not now (which is unlikely), but he isn't going to be just "the kid" forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lequack

I actually think he underestimates himself on the last climb, because he was .5 sec. up on Primoz at the first time check, then -8 at the second, which means he shipped time on the descent and technical part of the course. He then finished just 5 sec. down at the finish. This seems to indicate that he actually gained a couple of secs. on the final cobbled climb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie