• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 524 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Here's my guess for Remco's schedule (days)

46 race days.

January
San Juan (5)

February
Kuurne Brussels Kuurne (1) ?

March
Tirreno Adriatico (7)
3/18/23 - Milan San Remo (1)

April
4/2/23 - RvV (1)
4/16/23 Amstel Gold (1)
4/23/23 - LBL (1)

May
Giro (21)

June
Belgian RR (1)
Belgian ITT (1)

July
Classica San Sebastian (1)

August
WC ITT (1)
WC RR (1)

September
GP Quebec (1)
GP Montreal (1)

October
Lombardy (1)
I don't see him riding San Juan, Kuurne, MSR, and RvV. I also think he'll do more 5-7 day stage races here and there

He's just 22 years old. It's too much for him.

I wouldn't mind a Giro-Tour double if he rides it like this:

• Ride Giro all-in for GC
  • Ride Tour not for GC but:
    • Prepare for the Worlds (perhaps not even finishing the Tour)
    • Target some stages
    • Help Jakobsen in the sprint train
    • Experience the stress of the Tour for the first time without GC pressure.

The thing is that when Remco enters a race it's always for the victory. I don't think he would experience "the stress of the Tour" unless he was going all in for the victory, Hunting for stages is not his bag. Specially if he gets off to a good start and wears the yellow...his hunger for glory and his magnificent strength would push him to go all the way. I could be wrong...I've often been.

If he's going to ride the Tour, big if imo, he won't ride it completely. Since he wanted to go for a WC TT win, which is in the beginning of August next year.

Would be ridiculous if they think he could go for a win in all 3 in a timespan of 3.5 months. If he would ride the Tour, he should only ride the first week, and just ride attractively in the Bask country. Then stop after the first weekend.

No it isn't.

Ride both for GC, see where it gets him.
Two GTs in a year for a such young guy, could not be beneficial for his career. Look at the reasons why they don't let pogacar and other young riders do more than a GT per year. It's better for his career that he does just one GT, to have a more long career at the high level.
When he has 25/26 years, then, he can do 2 GTs.

Reactions: yaco
Giro is tailor made for Remco next year so the victory is in the bag. In the second half of the race he will already be resting ahead of the Tour. July will be more difficult as Pogi, Vinge and Rogla are not weaklings: this time Remco should state he's just there to learn while soloing his way to GC victory on some rolling stage - but he will win by less than 5 minutes and he has to be ready for ET days by Vinge and Pogi. And then Vuelta - fatigue will be a factor but Lefevre will find a way to motivate Remco i.e. by saying that Pogacar is the new Merckx. Historical year is on the cards.

Last edited:
Two GTs in a year for a such young guy, could not be beneficial for his career. Look at the reasons why they don't let pogacar and other young riders do more than a GT per year. It's better for his career that he does just one GT, to have a more long career at the high level.
When he has 25/26 years, then, he can do 2 GTs.

He broke through when he was 19, believe you me, he is old enough.

• Target some stages

Yep. Team should be all in for the giro. This would mean Alap as a dom there as well. For the TDF, the goal should be stage wins and maybe a top 10. Jakobsen would be on the TDF team. Alap would have a free role However, IF Remco somehow would be in it with a chance at the win late, the sprinter, Alap, and their doms would be expected to perform donkey duty at that point

I agree with those that say going for Giro-Tour double as a 23 year old is risky but to acheieve greatness one often has to take risky bets. I think the mountain train should be at the Giro, although on paper its a good route for Remco, the Giro should not be underestimated especially if someone like Roglic also rides it and then a free-role at the Tour together with Alaphilippe, trying to win a stage or maybe even the polka-dot jersey . I can't see him not finishing the Tour though under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobydawq
Look, QS has Jakobsen and Ala for the Tour, going for stage wins. They're going to support those riders, particularly Jakobsen. They're not going for GC at the Tour. If Remco wants to ride the Tour without GC ambition, I think that's fantastic, particularly with a Giro win (I hope) under his belt, but either way. He can learn, he can see what the pressure is like, he can ride for a stage or two.

If he's going to the Tour with ambitions that would be lunacy. I have more faith in those around him than that, and I can't see why they'd go back on the commitments they've previously made to Jakobsen and Ala at the Tour.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Look, QS has Jakobsen and Ala for the Tour, going for stage wins. They're going to support those riders, particularly Jakobsen. They're not going for GC at the Tour. If Remco wants to ride the Tour without GC ambition, I think that's fantastic, particularly with a Giro win (I hope) under his belt, but either way. He can learn, he can see what the pressure is like, he can ride for a stage or two.

If he's going to the Tour with ambitions that would be lunacy. I have more faith in those around him than that, and I can't see why they'd go back on the commitments they've previously made to Jakobsen and Ala at the Tour.

It wouldn't be lunacy at all.

Why people continue to underestimate him is beyond me. The only lunacy surrounding him is the extent of his level.

• Target some stages

Exactly as I said a month ago. It makes a lot of sense. Target the giro and gain experience by entering the biggest circus without GC ambitions. The early stages (Basque country) fit him so a stage win would be a good start to get the feeling of what it all means. Also, if for some reason the giro is a failure, he can make the tour his new target. It's not a bad strategy because past seasons showed that he is also a bit a diesel when it comes to reaching his top level and the giro is relatively early in the season. The colder weather is also something that has hurt him more than once.

It wouldn't be lunacy at all.

Why people continue to underestimate him is beyond me. The only lunacy surrounding him is the extent of his level.
His level is phenomenal. My comments are partly about him and partly about the team. From a team perspective it makes zero sense for him to go for GC. Regarding his abilities, I don't think he'll be in a position to compete for both Giro and Tour GC this year, and I'm as big a Remco Stan as there is in here. If you think any suggestion that he's not ready for the Giro/Tour double is underestimating him, well...you're welcome to that viewpoint.

The thing is that when Remco enters a race it's always for the victory. I don't think he would experience "the stress of the Tour" unless he was going all in for the victory, Hunting for stages is not his bag. Specially if he gets off to a good start and wears the yellow...his hunger for glory and his magnificent strength would push him to go all the way. I could be wrong...I've often been.
It's ironic how it's out that Remco will do, if there is any basis to it, which I highly doubt (as the CN statement seems off), the Giro-Tour double next year. That's because half kidding I previously wrote he should do just that. Not that I would mind, mind you. It would take us back to the era I started with cycling, when it was routine for guys like Hinault, Fignon, Lemond, Roche and others to do so. And they did with great strength in both, at times even winning both. I'd love for that cycling to come back and for Evenepoel, a Belgian, to be the catalyst in making it return. Just think Tadej and others would be induced to take up the challenge. Since at the time cycling (as anyone who was following will surely attest) was so much more engaging than the overly cautious and calculated sport of today, Thankfully, whatever takes place next season, guys like Tadej and Remco are breaking this mold.

I'll only believe it, however, when Remco announces his intention to ride both the Italian and French GTs in January. Although I agree with you that if he does, despite writing he could do his first Tour following the Giro without pressure, he just isn't the rider to race for experience. His talent and determination are such that they wouldn't allow it, which, in any case, would be unseemely to his nature and an ugly sight for his fans. And as you point out the only way to feel the full stress of the Tour, which he needs to grow, is to be in the GC battle.

At the same time I respect Reds take, which doubtless is the wiser approach, namely that Remco doesn't overextend himself at such a tender age. Yet the romantic and nostalgic in me would so love to see his team throw caution to the wind, brake free from this over-programmed and hyper-specialized/robotic sport once and for all, and say fook-all let's just give it a proper go! That would be thrilling, however improbable.

Now one thing to consider is, as has been noted, Remco held top form from San Sebastian to Worlds, but that still isn't doing two GTs back-to-back, the second being the Tour no less. On the other hand, as Patrick has said, in one respect the Tour is easier to go for the win, because the race is the most controlled of GTs, as teams fight to maintain their riders' GC positions. Hence "all" one has to do is follow the train of the leader's team and then beat him to the line. In this sense QS could start with a multi-faceted approach in Remco's first Tour, satisfying both Jacobson's and Ala's stage ambitions, whilst setting him up on the key stages to go with Jumbo and UAE if he is able. It would be tremendous, like opening the windows of a stuffy room shut closed for decades finally to get the stale air out and let in fresh air.

I realize, however, that today's cycling has mastered its own pragramatic formula, for which, given the overall level of the sport this has caused, science and economic interests will likely prevail over heroic, swashbuckling adventure.

Last edited:
His level is phenomenal. My comments are partly about him and partly about the team. From a team perspective it makes zero sense for him to go for GC. Regarding his abilities, I don't think he'll be in a position to compete for both Giro and Tour GC this year, and I'm as big a Remco Stan as there is in here. If you think any suggestion that he's not ready for the Giro/Tour double is underestimating him, well...you're welcome to that viewpoint.

If a team has a rider who can win the Tour, it will always make sense to go for it...

Reactions: Extinction and KZD
If a team has a rider who can win the Tour, it will always make sense to go for it...
Easy to say if you’re not trying to balance disparate ambitions on the team and keep riders who win big races for the team. He’s extremely unlikely to win both. They have a plan, they’re not going to abandon it for some remote chance at a Giro Tour double against the likes of Pogaçar and Vingegaard.

A Giro win would be a fantastic result.