• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 602 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Well, interesting insights at least. Thanks for that. I do still believe there is a clear advantage for Dutch speakers, be it also accent wise. But yes it has more parameters than only - or even not at all - the origins of the languages. And those, we covered quite well in our previous messages.

Sorry for the linguistics side trip lads, although I'm always interested in these kind of backgrounds. Anyway, let's head back to this Schepdaal kid.
I’ve learned a lot from the linguistics insights and debates here, but I’m probably in a small minority in that regard :)

Well what Bruyneel first said is that Remco is 4kg above his lowest ever weight. I think this may actually be true but we need to bear in mind that allegedly his lowest ever weight was around 60kg in the Giro 2021 while in the Vuelta last year he was 63kg or just a bit lower so if his Vuelta weight is target he won't shed more than 1-2kg.
Yes, according to one interview prior to the 2021 Giro, he said he was a bit below 60kg. Next day he was already above 60kg, lol. They've blown smoke about his weight a few times. If he is now indeed 64kg, then he could be close to his Liège '22 weight which was also said to be 64. In that case he could actually lose 2-3 kg according to how much he claims he lost for the Vuelta.

4 kg heavier? That sounds absurd.

According to their own claims, he was nearly 67kg at the start of last season, 64kg at Liège and 61kg in the Vuelta. But like i said, they have blown smoke concerning his weight quite often.

I remember being ridiculed last year by another forum member because it was my opinion that he (Evenepoel, not the other forum member) needed to lose more weight, and that 63 which was said to be his target Vuelta weight was still too much. After the Vuelta it was revealed he actually lost considerably more weight than that and he lost 3 extra kg compared to his Liège weight, which was (according to him and the team) around 64kg. He also looked considerably skinnier during the Vuelta than Liège.

Anyway, i think he is now already skinnier than he was last year during Liège. So i have a hard time believing he is going to drop another 4kg. Two seems realistic, though Evenepoel himself is talking about "that last kilo".
I mean, you just had to look at the pictures of him after winning Donostia before the Vuelta. He looked a lot thinner than during spring, actually gc rider thin.
Yeah, I think I remember that we've talked before about how the team has always talked lot of bs about his weight/target weight and retconned things multiple times afterwards (see 2021 Giro).

I remember being ridiculed last year by another forum member because it was my opinion that he (Evenepoel, not the other forum member) needed to lose more weight, and that 63 which was said to be his target Vuelta weight was still too much. After the Vuelta it was revealed he actually lost considerably more weight than that and he lost 3 extra kg compared to his Liège weight, which was (according to him and the team) around 64kg. He also looked considerably skinnier during the Vuelta than Liège.

Anyway, i think he is now already skinnier than he was last year during Liège. So i have a hard time believing he is going to drop another 4kg. Two seems realistic, though Evenepoel himself is talking about "that last kilo".

Does anyone have any recent photographs of Remco? Maybe a photo taken during last years Vuelta and a photo taken this year? But he's never looked really cut to me - at least compared to other pros? The leanest these days can look skeletal. And what does Remco's BMI work out to compared to others?

Does anyone have any recent photographs of Remco? Maybe a photo taken during last years Vuelta and a photo taken this year? But he's never looked really cut to me - at least compared to other pros? The leanest these days can look skeletal. And what does Remco's BMI work out to compared to others?

remco-evenepoel-vuelta-stage-18-victory_1662660169.jpg
8e06305c481cefd19a14e2af1985c1839d5814a6.jpg

RMgLBTvx4m2WyM68XhsZMQ-1200-80.jpg
S9Ykcfa5NjSx4qmWpad4T-1200-80.jpg

His legs look a bit more puffed and his face is also a bit less bony.

Last edited:
Before the 2021 Giro during / after his recovery he was quite skinny. There are plenty of GC riders/climbers who supposedly are taller and weigh less. Mass is 61kg for 1m77 according to PCS. Bernal & Vingegaard 60kg for 1m75. Yates (A) 58kg for 1m73...

There are loads of images on his Instagram.

Giro 2021
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CO2QTuFHMAo/

Tirreno 2022
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Caz83Ohs813/

Vuelta 2022
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChxSEYJsuYA/

Catalunya 2023
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqLqJJYM10M/

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
I have a huge problem with discussing somebody's weight like that. Yeah, it is cycling, I know w/k matter. But this is going a way where I feel very, very uncomfortable, not just for Evenepoel, but also for other young athletes.

While true, i think Remco is not pushing it in that sense. Its not like Vingegaard or Kuss. 62-63kg for 1m71 is about a bmi of >21. Don't think that is extreme for a prof athelete.
(Vingegaard for example is flirting with 19).

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
Probably time to reference this post: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/chris-froome-discussion-thread.18293/page-729#post-2716474

I don't doubt for a second he's heavier now than at the Vuelta last year, but what you can glean from a couple still photos is...not a lot.
No you can't tell someone's weight from a photo. But it can give some indication of a rider has gained or lost fat compared to photos of the same rider taken at another time. As expected, the photos shared by Logic suggest Remco looks leanest in last year's Vuelta, so we can expect he will get back down to a similar weight for this year's Giro.

It doesn't hurt to speculate. And in these forums, plenty of discussion on rider weight is based upon how they look as teams will deliberately falsify publicized rider weights. Much of that discussion I think has turned out to be valid.

True, but camera's don't magically create cheekbones or chubby cheeks.
Direction of light and certain lenses absolutely do.

No you can't tell someone's weight from a photo. But it can give some indication of a rider has gained or lost fat compared to photos of the same rider taken at another time. As expected, the photos shared by Logic suggest Remco looks leanest in last year's Vuelta, so we can expect he will get back down to a similar weight for this year's Giro.

It doesn't hurt to speculate. And in these forums, plenty of discussion on rider weight is based upon how they look as teams will deliberately falsify publicized rider weights. Much of that discussion I think has turned out to be valid.
Yes, photos can "suggest" things. Yes, it's all speculation. And yes, informed speculation, as it's pretty obvious he's not as fit right now as in the Vuelta, and there are enough photos and video to make an informed guess. But it's NEVER as cut and dried as a couple photos might suggest.

But we know all that without photos, and photos absolutely can distort and deeply alter perception with regard to weight.

TRENDING THREADS