• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
So, i handclocked the time from the crash until he got on his bike. This was exactly 1m30s. After that there was a replay of the crash, once this was over, the camera was back on Evenepoel, and it looked like he still had an issue and wasn't on his way yet. No idea what had happened in between (since there was a replay showing) but by the time he eventually got back on track, 2m10s had passed.

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
spalco said:
If this guy doesn't become a superstar, it's proof that junior's results are entirely meaningless.
Or the early talent burn out theory might have some truth
He's way ahead of the other riders of his age, but that's no guarantee for a major pro career. The Tour has recently been dominated by guys who were nowhere as juniors.

What speaks for him is that he can time trial and climb and has a very attacking style. He might become the first Belgian Tour winner since Van Impe, but he might also be past his peak at twenty-five. He's the most dominating junior in the modern era. We will see how he evolves in the next few years.

I think we're getting a little carried away, here. Evenepoel's RR performance today was fairly mediocre. He was barely hanging on there at the end. ... JK :lol:

Just taking riding styles into consideration (not invoking or suggesting Clinic issues), he reminded me of how Lance Armstrong looked on the Sestriere ride in 1999.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
So, i handclocked the time from the crash until he got on his bike. This was exactly 1m30s. After that there was a replay of the crash, once this was over, the camera was back on Evenepoel, and it looked like he still had an issue and wasn't on his way yet. No idea what had happened in between (since there was a replay showing) but by the time he eventually got back on track, 2m10s had passed.
He went back/ waited for someone to retrieve his Garmin. This is no joke.

boomcie said:
lol... ok, so that means he was 2 minutes and 10 seconds behind.

lartiste said:
Where the replay is available?
Depending on your country, you can watch it in Belgium through VRTnu, or in Europe if you have a Belgian VRT account.

Some countries can watch it here (but not in Belgium), maybe through a VPN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=k7yeNiqg-Qs

Others, i don't know.

armchairclimber said:
Watching the replay. It's unreal. Like the Amazing Wilson meets Roy of the Rovers.... meets Merkx, obviously.
As a big fan/believer, sometimes (like today) it's actually scary, and somewhere you start to fear that this might turn out to be a clinic case. But then, his dad quit pro cycling because he didn't want to compete in an EPO era.

Re:

sir fly said:
I've always admired cadets beating elites. Remco's one of them.
He has the potential and talent, the guidance is what will determine his success.
True. And the ability to manage expectations. The title of this thread says it all. And some great prospects have crumbled under the weight of being "The New Merckx".

Bavarianrider said:
Oh, yet another text book example of a guy stuck in a Kids Body already training huge hours. Give him another 3 years and he'll go up in smoke like all the other guys of his type before.

Maybe read/watch the interview with his coach before making assumptions.

Anyway, after last season, there was a bigger junior team that wanted to reel him in, but he refused out of gratitude to his team, that gave him a chance.
His parents also came across as down to earth, humble and grateful people, in an interview with Sporza. His father also started off by thanking the team.

boomcie said:
lol... ok, so that means he was 2 minutes and 10 seconds behind.

lartiste said:
Where the replay is available?
Depending on your country, you can watch it in Belgium through VRTnu, or in Europe if you have a Belgian VRT account.

Some countries can watch it here (but not in Belgium), maybe through a VPN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=k7yeNiqg-Qs

Others, i don't know.

armchairclimber said:
Watching the replay. It's unreal. Like the Amazing Wilson meets Roy of the Rovers.... meets Merkx, obviously.
As a big fan/believer, sometimes (like today) it's actually scary, and somewhere you start to fear that this might turn out to be a clinic case. But then, his dad quit pro cycling because he didn't want to compete in an EPO era.

Well, your last statement isn't 100% correct. In an interview with Het Nieuwsblad, his father said: " I knew where to get the stuff, but couldn't afford it."

Tonton said:
Go up in smoke...always a possibility, but after the show today, a very small one. I'm a believer.

I am a believer now too.

I mean, he could suffer some traumatic injury or sickness or get a liking for cocaine or something, but just on physicality there has to be something there, he's such an outlier.

I would be shocked if he doesn't at least become a very good pro.

I've always wondered if Quick Step is the right place for his development just like Mas. If he want to target the GC in GT's in the future, would the team need to give him a decent team to compete? I can't see him running away with races like he does now when he gets amongst the grown ups. I think both Mas and Remco would have been better going to a team that concentrates more on GT GC's than one that seems to concentrate on classics/Monuments and the odd stage race. But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?

wheresmybrakes said:
I've always wondered if Quick Step is the right place for his development just like Mas. If he want to target the GC in GT's in the future, would the team need to give him a decent team to compete? I can't see him running away with races like he does now when he gets amongst the grown ups. I think both Mas and Remco would have been better going to a team that concentrates more on GT GC's than one that seems to concentrate on classics/Monuments and the odd stage race. But the question is what does HE want to achieve and is it possible with where he is going?

To answer your question - yes. Quickstep is doing superb at developing riders as well as Mas' development on their team was great.

ppanther92 said:
wheresmybrakes said:

To answer your question - yes. Quickstep is doing superb at developing riders as well as Mas' development on their team was great.
This. Mas' development has been superb so absolutely no worries about evenepoel

TRENDING THREADS