• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Gilbert only crashed because he had to avoid something white on the road at the last second. Without that on the road he doesn't crash.

7YJumj.gif
Thanks—somehow I didn’t notice that before!

They said he needed 6 weeks of bedrest. Not sure how this figures into those plans, but i guess they know what they're doing. He's being treated by one of if not the best teams in the country.

It’s part of the protocol. The greatest efficacy for non-surgical recovery for hip/pelvis fractures has been shown in those who ambulated early on as it stimulates healing

Evenepoel has left the hospital today.

He will have to lie flat at least until the end of September, apart from some occasional steps now and then, to let the fractures heal completely.

They are estimating a period of 6 months for full recovery into top condition.

Unfortunately he explained the fractures to be "complicated for a cyclist". I really, really hope he can recover up to his full potential.

Even if he does come back and win 10 grand tours there will always be the question, what if this crash didn’t happen?
I just hope that question will not be asked a lot it the future...
Yeah, it's pretty insane. Like, I think if he actually gets to something like 10 grand tours people won't talk about this crash that much, but imagine he wins about 3 or 4 gt's and maybe gets a monument or two. He would be
among the most succesful cyclists of his generation but because the expectations for him are so astronomical it would be seen as a disappointment.
I just hope he returns next year at least as strong as he was this season, so we can forget this horrible chapter of his career. I honestly don't even want to imagine him never fully recovering.

Yeah, it's pretty insane. Like, I think if he actually gets to something like 10 grand tours people won't talk about this crash that much, but imagine he wins about 3 or 4 gt's and maybe gets a monument or two. He would be
among the most succesful cyclists of his generation but because the expectations for him are so astronomical it would be seen as a disappointment.
I wouldn't think he'd be viewed as a disappointment as long as he picked up 4-5 major victories (GTs, monuments , road Worlds) which is crazy if you really think about it. I mean, what reasonable person would call his career a disappointment if he won 2 Tours, a Giro, and a monument or Worlds RR title among the many other WT wins he'd also likely have under those circumstances?

Even if he does come back and win 10 grand tours there will always be the question, what if this crash didn’t happen?
I just hope that question will not be asked a lot it the future...
For the details, Wiki:

On 9 September, Merckx participated in a three-round omnium event at the concrete velodrome in Blois where each rider was to be paced by a derny. Fernand Wambst was Merckx's pacer for the contest. After winning the first intermediate sprint of the first round, Wambst chose to slow their pace and move to the back of the race despite Merckx wanting to stay out in front for fear of an accident. Wambst wanted to pass everyone to provide a show for the crowd. The duo then increased their pace and began to pass each of the other contestants; however, as they passed the riders in first position, the leading derny lost control and crashed into the wall. Wambst chose to avoid the derny by going below it, but the leader's derny came back down and collided with Wambst, while Merckx's pedal caught one of the dernies. The two riders landed head first onto the track.[80]

Wambst died of a fractured skull as he was being transported to a hospital. Merckx remained unconscious for 45 minutes and awoke in the operating room. He sustained a concussion, whiplash, trapped nerves in his back, a displaced pelvis, and several other cuts and bruises. He remained at the hospital for a week before returning to Belgium. He spent six weeks in bed before beginning to race again in October. Merckx later stated that he "was never the same again" after the crash. He would constantly adjust his seat during races to help ease the pain.[ Merckx stopped racing on 26 October to recuperate.

Few remember the accident...

For the details, Wiki:

On 9 September, Merckx participated in a three-round omnium event at the concrete velodrome in Blois where each rider was to be paced by a derny. Fernand Wambst was Merckx's pacer for the contest. After winning the first intermediate sprint of the first round, Wambst chose to slow their pace and move to the back of the race despite Merckx wanting to stay out in front for fear of an accident. Wambst wanted to pass everyone to provide a show for the crowd. The duo then increased their pace and began to pass each of the other contestants; however, as they passed the riders in first position, the leading derny lost control and crashed into the wall. Wambst chose to avoid the derny by going below it, but the leader's derny came back down and collided with Wambst, while Merckx's pedal caught one of the dernies. The two riders landed head first onto the track.[80]

Wambst died of a fractured skull as he was being transported to a hospital. Merckx remained unconscious for 45 minutes and awoke in the operating room. He sustained a concussion, whiplash, trapped nerves in his back, a displaced pelvis, and several other cuts and bruises. He remained at the hospital for a week before returning to Belgium. He spent six weeks in bed before beginning to race again in October. Merckx later stated that he "was never the same again" after the crash. He would constantly adjust his seat during races to help ease the pain.[ Merckx stopped racing on 26 October to recuperate.

Few remember the accident...
Without that, he could have been even better than Remco!

:tearsofjoy:

TRENDING THREADS