• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvRhMTAJZa/

Puerto_Tudons_Alcoleja_profile.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
When i do a thread search for posts containing "supernatural abilities" or "supernatural" by me, i get 0 results. So i think we're done here. You continue to do one thing: put words into other people's mouths. But i'm the troll.

Please don't bother responding to this, or at least don't expect me to respond to your posts any longer.
Reacting sour when someone has a different opinion, but adding nothing in itself to the dicussion. What a level !
That's one of your quotes : "In reality, i think Remco will turn out the be an improved version in almost every way except uphill sprints, of Roglic. Stronger mentally, better ITT'er, better tempo-climber. I have difficulty seeing him fail due to 3 weeks racing, haven't seen any signs of inconsistency either."
Then, I gave a nuanced response. I indicated that there were factors that could lead to tempering expectations. Finally I predicted the following, considering the great talent of Evenepoel and the fact that there are downsides and setbacks that every rider experiences : " I predict that he will win grand tours, hill classics, a WC, maybe olympic gold." You continued to react harshly and dit not add any additional arguments". Because you kept reacting negatively, I asked you to predict Evenepoels record of achievements. I'm still waiting.
In fact, you realize you got yourself stuck, suggesting knowing everything about Evenepoel, but nog being able to have a mature discussion. And not having the guts to predict Evenepoels career, when you tear down someone else who does.

Posted this in the WVA thread, i'll post it here as well:

Google translated (edited) from Het Nieuwsblad: https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20201120_98375159

3ad6b036-2b86-11eb-bb8e-f193d13b60d2_web_scale_0.0831774_0.0831774__.jpg

Flandrien favorites Remco Evenepoel (20) and Wout van Aert (26): “You deserve to win, Wout. I am not going to contest the result ”

Let's not be silly: it won't be a neck-and-neck election with Trump-Biden allure this year. Not after the crash in Lombardy. However, barring further accidents, the Flandrien trophy will be called the Wout van Aert-Remco Evenepoel challenge cup in the coming years. They look back on their extraordinary season in an exclusive double. “You are very welcome in my climbing train, Wout. I will welcome you with open arms. ”

Then we immediately ask: which of you will win the Flandrien trophy this year?

Evenepoel:
That's simple: Wout. Stupid question." (laughs)
Van Aert: “I think I have a better chance, but I am lucky that Remco fell in Lombardy. Although luck is of course a wrong word in that context. What I want to say: what Remco was doing before Lombardy was amazing. He won every race where he started. Without that crash, the election would have been much more exciting. With Lombardy on his honors list, we are very close in terms of results. ”

It is fashionable to challenge election results, Remco. Planning in that direction?

Evenepoel:
“Like Trump, you mean? No, I will not do that. That's a bit ridiculous. ” (laughs)

What did you think was the best performance of each other this season?

Evenepoel:
“Phew, there is a lot of choice with Wout. I find his whole evolution spectacular: the way he climbs and drops men like Bernal. Not offense, but you still weigh a few pounds more. To keep pushing that power, that's no mean feat. The best for me remains the Strade Bianche. At the time I was racing in Burgos myself. I quickly went to the bus, where I have seen the last twenty kilometers: the entire solo raid of Wout. Really powerful. Do you share my opinion, Wout? ”
Van Aert: “Yes. Both Strade and Sanremo remain the most special. Especially because you had such a long period without competition before. Everyone had questions. How do I get out of this lockdown? How is my shape? To immediately win twice, that is very special. ”

Your favorite Remco moment, Wout?

Van Aert: “I thought that super long solo in Poland was incredible. I don't even know exactly how long. (laughs) That's just dominating everyone. With your previous victories you always had the same comments: Yeah, it's not a World Tour after all and I-don't-know-who wasn't there. To come out swinging like that in Poland, in a peloton with as much quality… Fancy if you can do that.”
Evenepoel: “Thank you. In terms of performance, it indeed stands out. That ride was also quite bizarre: constant climbing at 20 percent, really hard to be alone in the lead. It was the quintessential game, driven from the support car: Thirty seconds ahead, forty-five seconds ahead - four men left in pursuit, only three left. (laughs) That gives moral. Moreover, you had previously had the crash of Fabio (Jakobsen, ed.). That also made that victory emotionally heavier and more beautiful at the same time. Just that day we had been told that he was evolving positively. All in all, that created a very special feeling. ”

Wout, when you sit down with the teammates, is the conversation often about Remco?

Van Aert:
“His name is regularly mentioned. Certainly the classification riders in the team know that he is coming. ”
Evenepoel: “Of course we often talk about Wout. After his victory in Milan-Sanremo, we already knew: what he is doing here is world class. We know how hard Julian Alaphilippe attacks. But after that we constantly had to go a step further. In the Tour he suddenly climbs with the best and then you hear at the table: The next mountain stage it will be much less. (laughs) But it never was. Eventually you will run out of words. We could only look and experience. ” (laughs)
Van Aert: “I often get the question: What kind of person is Remco? They think that as a Belgian I have special insights about this. (laughs) While that is not the case. I don't really know Remco better than they know him. ”

You both had a horror crash recently. Didn't that shared experience bring you closer together?

Van Aert: “I immediately sent Remco a message to wish him strength. As I said: we are not so close that we would suddenly start calling each other on the phone. But sending a text was the least I could do. Remco happens to be rehabilitating with the same physiotherapist who treated me. Whenever I came to Thijs (Hertsens from Move to Cure, the practice of Lieven Maesschalck, ed.), I asked how Remco was doing. ”

Evenepoel: “If Lieven puts you with the same physiotherapy, you immediately have a few percent more morale. This is going to be fine. I also had that typical cyclist reflex - or at least typically me… If an exercise didn't go well, I immediately asked: Did Wout have to do that too? And was he good at that? (Laughs) It makes sense that Wout has been rehabilitated so well in the same place.”

Wout, you said that your fall in the Tour was also a mental trauma.

Van Aert:
“After that fall, I was afraid if I only watched cycling. The World Cup in Yorkshire, with that wet weather and all those strange turns, that frightened me. I worked hard on this with my mental coach Rudy Heylen. ”
Evenepoel: “That's not an issue for me. Looking at the race was no problem and cycling again immediately felt very familiar. Here in Spain I have no fear in the descent, I take my turns as before.”

You told "Sport / Voetbalmagazine" that you followed EMDR therapy to deal with your fall, Wout. What does that mean?

Van Aert: “EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a technique in which you talk about the incident while moving your eyes. You have to ask Rudy for the technical explanation, but it has to do with trauma stored in the anterior lobe of the brain. It's not hocus pocus. You have not suddenly forgotten that you have fallen, but it takes away the sharp edges of the trauma. ”
Evenepoel: “My advantage is that I lost part of the fall. It literally did not stick. But of course I sat with Michaël Verschaeve, the team's psychologist. He gave me tips to make things easier to process. ”

Have you seen the footage of the fall?

Evenepoel: “They have shown them a hundred million times on the news. I couldn't ignore it. What frustrates me is that I just can't get past that wall. My wheel has passed it, but I hit it with my leg. It saves three or four centimeters. That's why I'm a bit angry with myself. ”

You have undoubtedly heard it in Spain: Sven Vanthourenhout is the new Belgian national coach. Good choice?

Evenepoel: “Certainly. Sven has been in the race long enough to know how to build a team. In recent years he was already… the T2, they would say in football. It is a good step. Without prejudice to Rik (Verbrugghe, ed.), Who has been very successful at European and World Championships. ”
Van Aert: “It is extra easy for me that I can work with the same coach on the cross and on the road. Sven is the right man in the right place. When he was still assistant to Kevin and Rik, the riders also felt that he already arranged a lot of practical things. ”

As Belgian leaders, are you consulted when the national coach is appointed?

Van Aert: “I had some contact with Frederik Broché at the World Cup in Imola. Our opinion is heard, but it is the union that decides. ”
Evenepoel: “I didn't hear Frederik. Not for a long time actually.

However, you will often be on the road with the national team next season. The Games are a great goal for both of you.

Van Aert: “Tokyo is indeed high on my list. The Games capture the imagination. That is the only time for me that I follow almost all sports. In front of the television for two weeks. ” (laughs)
Evenepoel: “What Greg has achieved in Rio, isn't that wonderful? He is on my list of Olympic heroes, together with Usain Bolt. ”

To what extent do you know the Tokyo time trial course? It would be tough, not so much tailored to world champion Filippo Ganna.

Evenepoel:
“I spoke about it in Argentina with Maciej Bodnar, who had already done the test event. He says it's less tough than you'd think based on the profile. But every meter uphill is in favor of the lighter driver. Ganna is the man to beat anyway. We will hardly have to focus on anyone else. ”
Van Aert: “But whether a difficult course really plays to his disadvantage? In the Giro Ganna wins the long time trial just as well. There you also had a steep climb on the way and he rode up faster than the classification riders. You can't say he doesn't stand a chance if it's difficult. If you see what steps he has taken, he will always remain the biggest competitor. ”

There is a lot to do about the Tour-Games combination. That would hardly be feasible.

Van Aert:
“Recovering from the Tour in a few days is difficult anyway, and now you also have a trip to Tokyo. That will require a lot of preparation anyway. We have not yet discussed my program with the team, but I will have to make choices. I prefer to do Tour and Play, but it is just not an easy combination. Certainly because there is also the World Championship in Belgium in the autumn. ”

Are you also going to the Games via the Tour, Remco?

Evenepoel:
“We still have to talk about that. It is a big step to ride the Tour as the first big lap. And I would like to get to that first big round this year. (laughs) At the moment I think: rather not a Tour next year. ”

In Tokyo you are rivals in the time trial and teammates in the road trial. Is that the idea?

Evenepoel:
“We have to perform as a country. Push each other forward in every possible way. Two medals in the time trial, wouldn't everyone be happy with that? ”
Van Aert: “I agree with Remco. Cycling has really become a team sport. If you accept a selection, you also accept to race as a country. I've said it before: if Remco is in perfect shape, the road ride will suit him even better than me. Then I feel free to help to get him to a medal. The time trial is a different story: there we can support each other in the preparation, but after the starting shot it is everyone for themselves. (laughs) You don't have to hold back for someone else at all. ”

It is striking that you have ridden very little against each other so far. Will we see more duels in 2021?

Van Aert:
“It is true that we have not run into each other much yet. But Remco is of course also not yet long. (laughs) Next year we will still be on a different track. I focus on the Flemish classics, Remco on the more difficult classics. We are already missing each other there. ”

You have already said that a stage race like Tirreno-Adriatico could be a goal. In those kinds of games we can still look forward to a duel Van Aert vs. Evenepoel.

Van Aert: "That could be, yes."
Evenepoel: “If you see how he flew around in the Tour ... It is up to us to drop him. Super fun, right? Also for you. You are going to be able to fill the papers. Which may also be a lot of work, of course. ” (laughs)

To conclude: historically Deceuninck - Quick-Step is a team that focuses on the classics. Conversely, Jumbo-Visma's expertise seems to be mainly in the GT's. Would you be even better riders if you changed teams?

Van Aert:
“Not a good idea. It's not about how the outside world views a squad, it's about how you feel within the squad. And that is good for both of us. We go for grand tours, but classics are not secondary. I'm fine, I don't have to change. ”
Evenepoel: “I always let you in my climbing train, Wout. I will receive you with open arms. ” (laughs) "

Last edited:
I don't think we"ll see both racing against each other a lot. Evenepoel doesn't like to race in most of the classics. Only in the hill classics. And I'm not sure Van Aert will often participate to Liege-Bastogne-Liege and to Lombardia. I can understand Evenpoel doesn't want to participate in Flemish races as Dwars door België, Gent-Wevelgem etc. and of course Paris-Roubaix. But the Tour of Flanders and even more, the Strade, must suit his capabilities. By limiting oneself to some hill classics, small stage races, once a year a grand tour, and maybe a WC when the course is tough, he can never be compared to top allround riders. Not even to a Van Aert, who is evoluating to a allround rider, in classics and in grand tours. And certainly not to Eddy Merckx at another age.
Another point of interest. Will Evenepoel be able to restore from his horrific accident ? As Van Aert did. Most never regain their previous level. A recent example : Froome. But Evenepoel is very young. Although fracture to the pelvis and pubis often cause stability and strenght problems, one should hope Evenepoel will return to his old level and improve further. And Evenepoel has the same physiotherapist as Van Aert :). Let's hope it turns out well.

Last edited:
By limiting oneself to some hill classics, small stage races, once a year a grand tour, and maybe a WC when the course is tough, he can never be compared to top allround riders. Not even to a Van Aert, who is evoluating to a allround rider, in classics and in grand tours. And certainly not to Eddy Merckx.

That's some high expectations you have.
A GT which is done with the aim of winning, smaller stages races for preparation and hilly classics are not enough?
I think the expression of "not even to a van Aert" is a bit misleading here, too. If van Aert does this, it's sign of an absolutely incredible allrounder. Should he be able to go for a win in a GT as well, while winning monuments from MSR to Flanders, it would make him one of the greatest.
We sure are in a new age of the "new allrounders". They still have to compete against each other, and even if they have the potential to win a certain race it's no given they will win it, when others have those abilities as well.

Reactions: Andre
I don't think we"ll see both racing against each other a lot. Evenepoel doesn't like to race in most of the classics. Only in the hill classics. And I'm not sure Van Aert will often participate to Liege-Bastogne-Liege and to Lombardia. I can understand Evenpoel doesn't want to participate in Flemish races as Dwars door België, Gent-Wevelgem etc. and of course Paris-Roubaix. But the Tour of Flanders and even more, the Strade, must suit his capabilities. By limiting oneself to some hill classics, small stage races, once a year a grand tour, and maybe a WC when the course is tough, he can never be compared to top allround riders. Not even to a Van Aert, who is evoluating to a allround rider, in classics and in grand tours. And certainly not to Eddy Merckx at another age.
Another point of interest. Will Evenepoel be able to restore from his horrific accident ? As Van Aert did. Most never regain their previous level. A recent example : Froome. But Evenepoel is very young. Although fracture to the pelvis and pubis often cause stability and strenght problems, one should hope Evenepoel will return to his old level and improve further. And Evenepoel has the same physiotherapist as Van Aert :). Let's hope it turns out well.
Bit early to say to what he will limit himself, no? The guy is 20, do you expect him to immediately ride everywhere? Gotta start somewhere.

Reactions: Andre

There's a few points in your post I don't follow or have questions about:

Evenepoel doesn't like to race in most of the classics. Only in the hill classics.

Has he actually said that? I don't recall having seen such comments. I think it's completely logical that he should focus on the hilly classics for now as they seem to suit him the best. But I do think that he likes the Flemish classics and if his future schedule would allow it, that he might ride them sooner or later. His first victory in the Tour of Belgium was on a (light version of a) flemisch classic parcours and he has trained a lot on and around the Muur. I would be very curious to see what he could do in the Tour of Flanders.

The Strade must suit his capabilities.

The constant up and down in this race must suit him very well yes but I have doubts about the gravel roads itself. Last year in the Adriatica Ionica Race there was one gravel stage where DQS blew the peloton apart and finished 1-2-3 but Evenepoel lost a few minutes there and was criticized by his own teammate (Senechal) that he should improve his technique and riding style on gravel.

He is ofcourse still very young so he has a lot of time to work on his technique and bike handling skills but I don't know if he'll ever be able to compete on gravel roads with riders with a background in cyclo or mountainbike (like Van Aert, VDP, Fuglsang, ...).

By limiting oneself to some hill classics, small stage races, once a year a grand tour, and maybe a WC when the course is tough, he can never be compared to top allround riders.

He has done one and a half season in the pro ranks at the age of 19-20. Obviously he'll limit his schedule these first years and figure out what he's capable of. I think it's way to early to say that he will limit himself to those races.

Reactions: Andre and Sandisfan
https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/remco...gaat-beter-dan-verwacht-op-training~a66751f4/

A 30-minute videoconference with Belgian press.

Currently training in Calpe, his girlfriend is there as well. Training is going much better than hoped, he's a month ahead of the original schedule. Last week he trained roughly 763 km in 26hrs. He wanted to start the season in Austalia, but that won't happen, so the main criteria is "as fast as possible". Maybe Valencia. Feels the injury is evolving favorably. Main issue could be that he's already doing big trainingrides early in the winter, while the season start is still months away, but he thinks he's had enough bedrest those 8 weeks.

He had issues with his hamstring (long time immobile) adductors (not a big problem), abs and back muscles (due to bedrest) and his right calf (the one that hit the bridge) might have been the biggest issue, there was a lot of water inside his right leg. That took some work. Initially the focus was to get the blood flowing again and regain flexibility. Now still he sometimes notices his right leg is a bit "harder" than his left leg after a trainingride. Those were the things they focused on during rehab.

Still a lot of work ahead, but he feels the power is gradually coming back week after week. Mentally it wasn't as big a problem as feared. He's confident in his recovery and that he'll be ready when the season kicks off. He'll definitely go to the Olympics, but he's eager to finally ride his first GT, he doesn't really care which, just that he's impatient to start one. (Seemed like he was more looking forward to his first GT, due to missing his chances in 2020).

He was told from the start that extra weight would slow down recovery, so he was very careful with his weight. He learned nutrition may be more important than he realized. He tries to watch what he eats, 6 days a week. That leaves one day to eat what he wants. So far that's been working for him to keep his weight under control. Currently he weighs 59-60 (which is 4-5kg less than the same time last year), his upperbody is very skinny. He hasn't done any tests yet, so he can't compare to where he was last year. But both legs are equally strong and muscles are the same size.

Doesn't feel any fear when he's on the bike. He noticed that while in Spain. He enjoyed watching Hirschi descent in the TDF. He learned from his crash, that he shouldn't descent at the back, because he's too dependent on (mistakes of) other riders. Best to lead a descent. But he is focused on 2021, not 2020.

Almeida did a great job in the Giro, already showed in Burgos (where Almeida was 3rd in GC ahead of big names) that he has a big engine. In the Giro he showed lots of class.

Thinks picking Sven Vantourenhout for national coach is a logical choice to follow Rik Verbrugghe, considering he had been there in support of Rik during his successful tenure.

There is no lockdown in Spain, but there are strict regulations to follow.

Has he actually said that? I don't recall having seen such comments.
Yeah, he's said something along those lines. Not just Paris Roubaix but also races like RVV. I remember because i also thought "you just won BBT on those roads".

Last edited:
Bit early to say to what he will limit himself, no? The guy is 20, do you expect him to immediately ride everywhere? Gotta start somewhere.
I've seen him say in interviews he's not particularly interested in Roubaix or Flanders and is focused on the hillier classics which he feels suit him better. I assume that may change as he gains experience, but that has been his stance to this point. I don't recall where I saw it but I'm pretty sure I did, because my reaction was to be a bit disappointed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I've seen him say in interviews he's not particularly interested in Roubaix or Flanders and is focused on the hillier classics which he feels suit him better. I assume that may change as he gains experience, but that has been his stance to this point. I don't recall where I saw it but I'm pretty sure I did, because my reaction was to be a bit disappointed.

I think he has said that. Then again, he has also ridden up the Muur van Geraardsbergen 50 times in one day, so...

Although this page of the discussion has focused on his “all-roundness” and ability to tackle cobbles and Ardennes, it’s still an age of specialization and I don’t think we’ve seen anyone since the 90s try to maintain a peak from, say E3 through Liege and be competitive for a win throughout. Gilbert is the most recent to win a monument in each category, but those were at different points in his career.
I think you folks are thinking about him doing so at different points in his career, which makes sense, but also kind of moot when we’re still waiting (eagerly) to see when (if) he might get his first monument.

Although this page of the discussion has focused on his “all-roundness” and ability to tackle cobbles and Ardennes, it’s still an age of specialization and I don’t think we’ve seen anyone since the 90s try to maintain a peak from, say E3 through Liege and be competitive for a win throughout. Gilbert is the most recent to win a monument in each category, but those were at different points in his career.
I think you folks are thinking about him doing so at different points in his career, which makes sense, but also kind of moot when we’re still waiting (eagerly) to see when (if) he might get his first monument.

I think the main difference between Gilbert and Evenepoel is that Gilbert always was more of a classic rider while Remco is a climber. Don't forgot Gilbert won Omloop het Nieuwsblad (Flanders first cobble classic of the year) before he won LBL or the fleche Walloon.

Because Evenepoel seems to be an exceptional talent, I reserve my opinion. But today I just don't see him winning RVV or Roubaix. Although it wouldn't be the first time he suprises me

QUOTE="Boes, post: 2511101, member: 119937"]
I think the main difference between Gilbert and Evenepoel is that Gilbert always was more of a classic rider while Remco is a climber. Don't forgot Gilbert won Omloop het Nieuwsblad (Flanders first cobble classic of the year) before he won LBL or the fleche Walloon.

Because Evenepoel seems to be an exceptional talent, I reserve my opinion. But today I just don't see him winning RVV or Roubaix. Although it wouldn't be the first time he suprises me
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. To begin, the periode that riders could do anything, is long past. Most of the topriders specialize, or in this, or in that. Cobbled classics, hill classics, GT. A few are excellent in cobble dclassics and in hill classics. Van Aert could become one of these guys. Evenepoel will excell in hill classics and in stage races. He declared himself not to try to compete in (cobbled) classics. Maybe in a few years. But perform today in both springclassics, hill classics and in stage races is almost impossible. Even if someone had the talent for this. Merckx, Roger De Vlaeminck had the talent for this. But they were rarely confronted with riders specialised in a domain. With the exception of the pure climbers (Fuentes, Van Impe....), most of the riders did compete from february to november. Some even continued in winter by competing in cyclocross or on the cyling track. Hinault was problably the last one with the capabilities of perform either in all types of classics and in stage races. Although he didn't like cobbled classics and kept his participation to a minimum. He just wanted to prove he could win one or two (Gent-Wevelgem, Roubaix, but only once eleventh in the Tour of Flanders)

Or maybe there hasn't been this kind of generational talent for a long time.
Hard to tell now.
If the fantastic generational talent for a long time did participate to most of the one day races, different small stage races and one or two grand tours (as Merckx, De Vlaeminck etc. did), then they would only excel at the beginning of the season. Later on, they would fade away, and even fall completely short during the second half of the season. Competing against specialised and fresh riders. Even the best like Sagan (a few years ago), Van Aert, Van der Poel, Evenepoel.... would fail in competing a whole season at a good or toplevel.

I totally agree. To begin, the periode that riders could do anything, is long past. Most of the topriders specialize, or in this, or in that. Cobbled classics, hill classics, GT. A few are excellent in cobble dclassics and in hill classics. Van Aert could become one of these guys. Evenepoel will excell in hill classics and in stage races. He declared himself not to try to compete in (cobbled) classics. Maybe in a few years. But perform today in both springclassics, hill classics and in stage races is almost impossible. Even if someone had the talent for this. Merckx, Roger De Vlaeminck had the talent for this. But they were rarely confronted with riders specialised in a domain. With the exception of the pure climbers (Fuentes, Van Impe....), most of the riders did compete from february to november. Some even continued in winter by competing in cyclocross or on the cyling track. Hinault was problably the last one with the capabilities of perform either in all types of classics and in stage races. Although he didn't like cobbled classics and kept his participation to a minimum. He just wanted to prove he could win one or two (Gent-Wevelgem, Roubaix, but only once eleventh in the Tour of Flanders)

Hold up. I'm not saying there aren't any riders that can do everything in the current peloton. I strongly believe that had riders lik Valverde, Nibali or Thomas focussed on the cobbled classics earlier in their carreers, they could have won a RVV, Harelbeke E3 or Roubaix. Don't forget both Geraint Thomas and Kwiatowski won E3 Harelbeke and thus could have won RVV. I personally have my hopes up for Pogacar to one day play a part in the final of cobbled classics.
I do agree that it cannot be done in one year, they'll have to chose between the hilly or cobbled classics.

Concerning Remco; He's both an exceptional time trailist and hilly baroudeur. He's a promising grimpeur/climber and it would baffle me if he never manages to win at least one grand tour. But I think because of his light weight, lack of pure sprint ability and lack of a stronge punch uphil that RVV, Roubaix, Milan San Remo or Fleche Walloon might be a bridge to far for him.

Although I'll say it again, it wouldn't be the first time he suprises me. The same say as Bob Jungels won in LBL a few years ago, Remco can win pretty much every classic in the world. Give him half a minute in the last 20 k's and chances are you'll never see him again.

But I think because of his light weight, lack of pure sprint ability and lack of a stronge punch uphil that RVV, Roubaix, Milan San Remo or Fleche Walloon might be a bridge to far for him.
Races like RVV & PR, assuming the cobbles aren't the issue for him (which they might, at least in PR), are definitely within his limits, because those are races where everybody "dies". As such, it is possible for him in such races to simply "outlast" the competition and ride away in the final. No need for a sprint or punchy uphill attack. Those are races that are suited to longer range attacks, so if he ever were to compete there, i'd definitely say he's a contender.

MSR is more difficult, but not impossible. Again his team would need to make it a tough race and he would need to go solo here as well. The race isn't suited to that, but i don't think it's impossible. Not sure many domestiques will ride the poggio faster than him. But he can't wait for the final steep part of the Poggio, because then it's too late for him and he won't get away (unless lucky).

FW is something else entirely. If he goes solo before the penultimate Mur, who's going to follow him? Who's going to chase him and pave the way for Alaphilippe? In Julian he has the perfect tag-teammate for FW.

Reactions: hayneplane
Pity that the TDU was cancelled because Remco was entered for this race and he would one of the few who could match Porte on Willunga Hill.

Now don't get carried away. Nobody ever could.

FW is something else entirely. If he goes solo before the penultimate Mur, who's going to follow him? Who's going to chase him and pave the way for Alaphilippe? In Julian he has the perfect tag-teammate for FW.

I agree, Alaphilippe is the perfect teammate for him in that regard. Still, those teams who are strong and see chances in beating Alaphilippe in an uphill sprint (Sunweb, maybe UAE with Pogacar) might chase when they realize letting Evenepoel go is a sure way to lose.

I agree, Alaphilippe is the perfect teammate for him in that regard. Still, those teams who are strong and see chances in beating Alaphilippe in an uphill sprint (Sunweb, maybe UAE with Pogacar) might chase when they realize letting Evenepoel go is a sure way to lose.
It's damned if you don't, damned if you do. It's one thing being able to follow Alaphilippe, another to actually beat him there. At least when on form. He's also more likely to be close to top form than Pogacar and Roglic, who will need to focus on the TDF most likely. Anyway, he'll remain the big favorite and the other teams will need to commit with him freewheeling towards the last climb.

TRENDING THREADS