• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Can't wait for all the excuses to come out if he doesn't win his races. The way he's made out in this thread is that no one can touch him, criticise him, say anything against him, compare him to anyone else because there is no one else like him. Constantly being defended to the hilt as if he can do no wrong. Sad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The point is that some of you seem to be forgetting just how young he was and how extraordinary Evenepoel's achievements were. But it's difficult to win races in a hospital bed.

Evenepoel's achievements at the age of 19-20 are unequalled in modern cycling era. However, he'll need something huge this year to match Tadej in U-22 category. They are so good at such young ages that it's scary.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Can't wait for all the excuses to come out if he doesn't win his races. The way he's made out in this thread is that no one can touch him, criticise him, say anything against him, compare him to anyone else because there is no one else like him. Constantly being defended to the hilt as if he can do no wrong. Sad.
Nearly as sad as you coming in here for only remarks like these? Nah.

Evenepoel's achievements at the age of 19-20 are unequalled in modern cycling era. However, he'll need something huge this year to match Tadej in U-22 category. They are so good at such young ages that it's scary.
Everybody is aware of that, but considering he's been out for nearly a year when he comes back, that won't be easy. Initially i was very optimistic when he was recovering at Maesschalk, but since his relapse, i'm not quite so sure anymore. Clearly they screwed up and i'm not convinced that won't have any lasting impact.

Reactions: Ulfhednar
i'm not a remco fan at all but I was pretty convinced he was going to dominate the stage-racing scene up until his crash in Lombardia this year.

I am a Gesink fan, and I can tell such a hard crash can have long lasting impact. I'm convinced until this day Gesink never reached his full potential after breaking his leg. He had other bad luck as well, but that was the main cause. I hope for Evenepoel he doesn't have the same bad luck.

i'm not a remco fan at all but I was pretty convinced he was going to dominate the stage-racing scene up until his crash in Lombardia this year.

I am a Gesink fan, and I can tell such a hard crash can have long lasting impact. I'm convinced until this day Gesink never reached his full potential after breaking his leg. He had other bad luck as well, but that was the main cause. I hope for Evenepoel he doesn't have the same bad luck.
With Gesink breaking his leg I can't tell if I forgot, just forgot when, or forgot which of the many times ruined his potential

• Wow
It was more his "the major difference being the TDF win" as if that tiny detail was the only thing separating their palmares. I'm not trying to take anything away from Remco but putting those two lists with five biggest achievements up really didn't support the notion that they are close to equal, results-wise.

I stand by it.
Poga won Tirreno, Remco won Poland.
Podium LBL for poga, San Sebastian win for Remco.

I repeat, the major difference is the TDF win.

I stand by it.
Poga won Tirreno, Remco won Poland.
Podium LBL for poga, San Sebastian win for Remco.

I repeat, the major difference is the TDF win.
Nobody mentions 6 GT stage wins fot Pogi. Which is insane for a GC rider in his first two participations.

To be fair Remco didn't even have the chance to take those, because he has yet to debut in a GT. But if you are listing wins and comparing palmares between the two, you have to mention those 6 stage wins.

Nobody mentions 6 GT stage wins fot Pogi. Which is insane for a GC rider in his first two participations.

To be fair Remco didn't even have the chance to take those, because he has yet to debut in a GT. But if you are listing wins and comparing palmares between the two, you have to mention those 6 stage wins.
If you compare both at this point in time, there is no doubt that Pogacar has the far more impressive palmares. Let it be clear, and i don't think anyone in their right mind would debate that. But Remco is a year and a half younger and he's been injured for 7 months now, that's a total of 2 years he's running behind. I'll stand by my previous statement, if you compare them at the same age, at the moment Remco crashed out (meaning at 20 and a half years), Remco stomps all over Pogacar's achievements. In total however, it's the other way around. And considering his injury, it's anyone's guess if he'll come back as good or better, and if he might in time come close or improve upon Pogacar's palmares... I do think, the way he was riding before his accident, being absolutely dominant in TT, climbs and hilly stages, that without the injury, he would have been up there. All we can do now is cross our fingers and hope that in 10 years we won't be talking about "hey, do you remember that short kid that was supposed to dominate cycling, whatever happened to him... what was his name again?".

Both are decent cyclists but as a kid I saw much bigger talents at my backyard (unfortunately too lazy to train more than a few laps around the block).
Wow, Geraint Thomas lived on your block?

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
If you compare both at this point in time, there is no doubt that Pogacar has the far more impressive palmares. Let it be clear, and i don't think anyone in their right mind would debate that. But Remco is a year and a half younger and he's been injured for 7 months now, that's a total of 2 years he's running behind. I'll stand by my previous statement, if you compare them at the same age, at the moment Remco crashed out (meaning at 20 and a half years), Remco stomps all over Pogacar's achievements. In total however, it's the other way around. And considering his injury, it's anyone's guess if he'll come back as good or better, and if he might in time come close or improve upon Pogacar's palmares... I do think, the way he was riding before his accident, being absolutely dominant in TT, climbs and hilly stages, that without the injury, he would have been up there. All we can do now is cross our fingers and hope that in 10 years we won't be talking about "hey, do you remember that short kid that was supposed to dominate cycling, whatever happened to him... what was his name again?".
I didn't compare their palmares at all, the others did. But they didn't include 6 GT stage wins to Pogačar's name, which is in my opinion a big achievement.

I find it stupid to compare their achievements at this moment in time. Like you said. Remco has been injured for 7 months and is 15 months younger. On the other hand I don't see the point in comparing them at the same age (the age when Remco crashed in Lombardia), either. Remco had already a full season and a half in WT under his belt at the time, while Pogačar was just a couple of months into his WT career.

I agree with you on the second part. I believe with the way he was riding before the crash, he would have won one or two important races and I think the "Can anyone beat these 6" thread would have been called "Can anyone beat these 7". I hope and believe he'll return to his former self. I didn't believe at the hype at first, but he changed my mind. His immense talent is undeniable.

But don't worry. Nobody will forget his name in 10 years. It rhymes with Wilco after all. ;)

I didn't compare their palmares at all, the others did. But they didn't include 6 GT stage wins to Pogačar's name, which is in my opinion a big achievement.

I find it stupid to compare their achievements at this moment in time. Like you said. Remco has been injured for 7 months and is 15 months younger. On the other hand I don't see the point in comparing them at the same age (the age when Remco crashed in Lombardia), either. Remco had already a full season and a half in WT under his belt at the time, while Pogačar was just a couple of months into his WT career.

I agree with you on the second part. I believe with the way he was riding before the crash, he would have won one or two important races and I think the "Can anyone beat these 6" thread would have been called "Can anyone beat these 7". I hope and believe he'll return to his former self. I didn't believe at the hype at first, but he changed my mind. His immense talent is undeniable.

But don't worry. Nobody will forget his name in 10 years. It rhymes with Wilco after all. ;)
Well, if you want to be precise, there's 16 months and 4 days between them ;)

As for his recovery... i hope that's why they're keeping silent for now. Last time they kept silent for so long, it wasn't good news.

• Wow
Evenepoel's training buddy of the past 2 weeks -Honoré- won todays stage in Coppi e Bartali, and took 2nd in GC. I think Evenepoel wasn't yet doing the same amount of hours, according to an interview with Pelgrim, but i wonder if this is giving him a point of reference and some confidence. Obviously Coppi e Bartali isn't the Giro, but still.

He seems to be back in Belgium now.

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1375773953617199107

I think the comparison is a little silly at the moment basically because of remco’s injury.
For now Pog is likely the best rider in the world. And odds-on favorite to win the TDF for a second time this summer. I actually don’t think it’s even going to be close.

Things would have been radically different without the fall. Remco likely would have easily dispatched Fulsgang in Lombardy (hadn’t he dropped him by 2+ minute a week before in Poland?). I also have absolutely no doubt that Remco would’ve crushed the Giro last year. Three time trials and he would’ve easily sat on Dennis‘s wheel on the Stelvio, if not gone out on his own. He would then have been competing directly with Pog in this year‘s tour. And we might have a better idea. My opinion of course.

but he crashed.

So comparisons must wait.

I only hope that there are no lasting effects of the fall. And that we can enjoy these two supreme talents going at each other over the next decade.

Last edited:
Evenepoel's training buddy of the past 2 weeks -Honoré- won todays stage in Coppi e Bartali, and took 2nd in GC. I think Evenepoel wasn't yet doing the same amount of hours, according to an interview with Pelgrim, but i wonder if this is giving him a point of reference and some confidence. Obviously Coppi e Bartali isn't the Giro, but still.

He seems to be back in Belgium now.

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1375773953617199107

I have yet to get used to this super thin Evenepoel-version.

TRENDING THREADS