• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Since the start of the Giro, I've enjoyed following this thread in silence. Well, most of it at least. I appreciate plenty here but man, it gets weird sometimes :sweatsmile:

While I mostly agree with Logic (I'm a believer too, because Evenepoel is absolutely a unique phenomenon and most of all I crave for a Belgian GT star), let it go sometimes buddy :tonguewink: Our Kannibaal van Schepdaal will prove them wrong. One day, maybe soon.

Btw: Rampage Remco, what about that one when he crushes opponents?

Just call him Ramco.

film_so85rambofirstbloodpartii.jpg

Looking back at older threads of Purito gaining time over his opponents with short attacks at the end of climbs (e.g. Giro 2012, Vuelta 2012) it seems that dropped is mostly used when a cyclist cannot follow the group he is with. When a single rider rides away (like Bernal did) we don't say that he dropped the group. But if Gesink can't follow the group's pace halfway up the climb he gets dropped by the group or whomever is setting the pace even when he can eventually pass several riders by riding his own pace.

I believe that because dropped is used like this (when a rider can't follow the pace that the majority of his group can) is part of the reason that it leaves a bitter taste when it is said that Evenepoel got dropped (by Bernal). That brings up the image of Bernal riding away in a mano à mano or Evenepoel not being able to follow the group.

I'm not defining it here and only mean to talk about how it usually seems to be used and how it creates friction when it seems to be used in a different fashion. Getting dropped has a more negative connotation then simply like 'not being able to respond' because it implies a degree of weakness that the rest of the group did not have.

And don't worry I find the jokes about how we can't say Evenepoel gets d***ped funny too.

Last edited:
Reactions: limak_
link:
Sporza journalist Schotte thinks the queen stage suits (the current) Evenepoel a bit better than Bernal. Quite a bold prediction... I like that.

Monday the queen stage of this Giro awaits with the Fedaia, the Pordoi and the Giau on the way (3 climbs above 2,000 meters).

That is such a stage in which the endurance will be decisive. Although Evenepoel is 3 years younger than Bernal, such a stage is a bit more in favor of our fellow countryman.

This quoted cracked me up though:

"The fact that Bernal has the pink jersey is the ideal scenario for Deceuninck-Quick Step. The team can now save for the 3rd week. Let Ineos do the dirty work for the next few days."

Google translated

link:
Sporza journalist Schotte thinks the queen stage suits (the current) Evenepoel a bit better than Bernal. Quite a bold prediction... I like that.

Monday the queen stage of this Giro awaits with the Fedaia, the Pordoi and the Giau on the way (3 climbs above 2,000 meters).

That is such a stage in which the endurance will be decisive. Although Evenepoel is 3 years younger than Bernal, such a stage is a bit more in favor of our fellow countryman.

This quoted cracked me up though:

"The fact that Bernal has the pink jersey is the ideal scenario for Deceuninck-Quick Step. The team can now save for the 3rd week. Let Ineos do the dirty work for the next few days."

He's right concerning endurance, or at least in case Remco is fully fit. But that doesn't necessarily mean Remco can climb with Bernal. We'll have to see, but i'm not ruling it out either. I remember they tested Remco up to 1.800m altitude and he had no issues with losing power. He did't seem too bothered by the altitude on Alto Colorado (2.600m) but that wasn't against Bernal.

Reactions: Big Doopie
"...It's quite crazy that I'm up there with the best climbers after three months of training and six or seven months of nothing. It's amazing what I'm doing right now."

this.

and this again.

unreal.

i am just so disappointed that he could not have walloped everyone last year on a course that would have suited him to a T.

instead, what a challenge, coming back from that injury, only been on the bike three months and on a route that is not favorable at all.

So, when a sprinter gets 5 bike lengths at the line, the other sprinters are dropped?
No, they are murdered! 5 bike lengths in a sprint is massive.
But, when a group of 4 leaves behind all the other contenders and stays up front till the finish, those behind were dropped.
Also when one rider puts the hammer down 600-700m from the finish, and give everyone 7-12 sec time, there's no more fitting word for that left behind than dropped!

What does not losing power at altitude mean? That Evenepoel can produce same power as at sea level? That's rather unlikely. That he doesn't suffer at altitude? That's not really a big deal.
It's one of the "Yes, but" questions that MUST be answered before someone concedes that Evenepoel is a massive talent, as if it's not been obvious.

"Yes, he just destroyed everyone and has won every stage race he entered this year, BUT can he climb at altitude?".

"...It's quite crazy that I'm up there with the best climbers after three months of training and six or seven months of nothing. It's amazing what I'm doing right now."

this.

and this again.

unreal.

i am just so disappointed that he could not have walloped everyone last year on a course that would have suited him to a T.

instead, what a challenge, coming back from that injury, only been on the bike three months and on a route that is not favorable at all.

Given that he runs a half marathon against professional Kenyans at age 16 with zero training, the day after playing 90 minutes on the pitch, and was competitive against them should so his athletic ability.

I've heard it asked before how god would the great athletes in other sports have been had they entered cycling instead of say soccer. Think we are seeing that answer, and have seen it ever since he started riding a bike

this.

and this again.

unreal.

This guy was doing 25k rides on Zwift sub-200 Watt 3 months ago and still people are "but can he climb big mountains", this guy is insane and the biggest talent in cycling, deal with it.

Reactions: Riek s and Andre

TRENDING THREADS