• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 238 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I'm not claiming my English is perfect. But i'm also not the one who started correcting people. And yes, i know "going down on..." is what gives it a sexual connotation, but then i wouldn't have been able to make the joke, and i thought it would be more fun to make the joke regardless of it being correct, than not make the joke at all. Verstoddet?

And what your fault would be is: "If he really was... he would have", should have been "if he really were... he would have" considering the context (you insinuating he isn't, meaning it is a hypothesis according to you).

But again, all this is completely off-topic, so perhaps we should just focus on the troll-free, grammar-police-free discussion for which the topic was meant.
So you crack jokes that you, and only you can understand??
Way to go fella!!!

Regarding the discussion a few pages back, an interesting opinion in The Times.
Versatile Tom Pidcock can become ‘a kind of cyclist we have never seen before’
Tadej Pogacar and Egan Bernal are the leaders of cycling’s new pack — but lad from Leeds could be the best of the lot

That’s what the point of it is? When has he shown recovery that is required to compete for podiums at a GT? You can be a great 1 week stage racer and yet struggle over 3 weeks. That’s been proven time and time again. Riders who were never able to escape a 3 week Tour without a bad day. Remco may be have it, but it hasn’t been proven that he can survive a GT at the top yet.
He hasn't proven that yet, that's true, but that wasn't the reason i responded. He said that recovery is likely an issue. Based on what? On his Giro, his first GT at the age of 21, as a first race after 9 months recovering from a crash. And the point of recovery isn't only to compete for GC in a GT, imho. But we may disagree on that, no issue. I can tell you that last year he did win two GC's in a timespan of 13 days, both rather comfortably and dominantly. Not exactly the same, but i think a rider who has issues with recovery and can only cope with 1 week races at a time, might also struggle with two 1 week races within 2 weeks (with 3 days in between both races). Burgos started 28th of July, Poland ended 9th of August.

Last edited:
Seeing the contrast in acceleration between him and a top classics rider/sprinter was quite something.
Yep, I think he tried to attack around 1.1k but Wva jumped quite easily in his wheel and was almost free-wheeling until remco turned and saw both right behind him. I don't understand why he was angry, maybe he had problem with the gearing .. did he really hope to contest in a pure sprint ?

Yep, I think he tried to attack around 1.1k but Wva jumped quite easily in his wheel and was almost free-wheeling until remco turned and saw both right behind him. I don't understand why he was angry, maybe he had problem with the gearing .. did he really hope to contest in a pure sprint ?
Why do people think he would hope to contest a sprint, especially against two sprinters? I'm sure he's not an idiot. He was disappointed that he couldn't get away when he attacked two or three times. Course was simply not hard enough for him to drop a guy like van Aert.

Why do people think he would hope to contest a sprint, especially against two sprinters? I'm sure he's not an idiot. He was disappointed that he couldn't get away when he attacked two or three times. Course was simply not hard enough for him to drop a guy like van Aert.

Couldn't the same be said about van Aert regarding "a harder course", i.e. couldn't he also find it easier to drop Evenepoel if the course was harder?

It's not like there's a world of difference between their climbing abilities, because on his day van Aert has shown he has the aptitude (even if he recently said he's not as strong this after his appendicitis operation). This is the guy who finished second in Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year (about a minute behind Pogacar).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wouldn't be so sure.
Not a lot of things you could be sure of though.

Couldn't the same be said about van Aert regarding "a harder course", i.e. couldn't he also find it easier to drop Evenepoel if the course was harder?

It's not like there's a world of difference between their climbing abilities, because on his day van Aert has shown he has the aptitude (even if he recently said he's not as strong this after his appendicitis operation). This is the guy who finished second in Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year (about a minute behind Pogacar).

Sure, i'm not saying he would drop Van Aert, i'm saying this course didn't offer him any options in that regard. As for Van Aert dropping him, he doesn't need to, he can simply outsprint Evenepoel with one leg behind his neck.

Lombardy. Liege. That type of course. Then again, no sure thing for sure.

No. He's not going to drop VA at any type of climb atm. It's pretty safe to say when VA can drag a group of favourites up the high mountain in a fully loaded GT and RE can not finish one. Van Aert is a complete road racing cyclist for almost any platform he enters. Evenepoel needs around 2-3 years work and mosty on other things than steady stuff.

No. He's not going to drop VA at any type of climb atm. It's pretty safe to say when VA can drag a group of favourites up the high mountain in a fully loaded GT and RE can not finish one. Van Aert is a complete road racing cyclist for almost any platform he enters. Evenepoel needs around 2-3 years work and mosty on other things than steady stuff.

Hate messages and oversimplified opinions we can miss here.
Once Evenepoel will be fully recovered (in the 2022 season), he'll beat Van Aert (and other allrounders) in hilly one-day races and in hilly short stage races. No doubt about it. And I'm a Van Aert supporter. Not an "anti" supporter of any rider at all. Of course, on certain courses and with an unequal condition Van Aert will beat Evenepoel.

Once Evenepoel will be fully recovered (in the 2022 season), he'll beat Van Aert (and other allrounders) in hilly one-day races and in hilly short stage races. No doubt about it. And I'm a Van Aert supporter. Not an "anti" supporter of any rider at all. Of course, on certain courses and with an unequal condition Van Aert will beat Evenepoel.
Lol this makes me laugh. There is no evidence for this yet. Especially your last sentence is just bias.

Reactions: Sandisfan and topt
Define what hilly means and what allrounder means in this context.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS