• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 240 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco is just not used to losing. They put him on the bench at soccer, he left soccer. He went on to win everything as a junior and neopro.

Then came the injury and he is clearly having a hard time getting to his old form (which is normal)

Plus, I think he notices that he lacks some basic skills/technique which riders have that ride since they were little kids. Which is also normal.

Overall, he needs to grow. Also learn that cycling is a teamsport.
Not sure if the team of PL is a good place to learn those things though.
Not sure about being on Lefevres team either but Lefevre isn't gonna hang Evenepoel out to dry either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco is just not used to losing. They put him on the bench at soccer, he left soccer. He went on to win everything as a junior and neopro.

Then came the injury and he is clearly having a hard time getting to his old form (which is normal)
It probably didn't help that DQS only sent him to stage races he could win in 2020.

Instead of, say, UAE Tour, Dauphiné. Would have maybe derailed the hype train somewhat.

It probably didn't help that DQS only sent him to stage races he could win in 2020.

Instead of, say, UAE Tour, Dauphiné. Would have maybe derailed the hype train somewhat.

Really? Why would DQS send Remco to the Dauphine when he wasn’t riding in the TDF?

The UAE tour is the utmost quality?

Good grief I’ve seen some drivel lately but this takes the cake.

They actually sent him to the UAE tour his 2nd month after turning pro. He finished the first MTF on Jebel Hafeet a few seconds behind Dumoulin, ahead of Costa, Schachmann, Nibali, Sivakov, and within 1 minute of winner Valverde. Either you are overestimating the UAE, or you are underestimating Evenepoel. Also nobody would expect him to outright dominate those races against Landa, Yates, Majka, Carapaz, Bennett, Kuss, Fuglsang, Lopez etc. Sending him directly to the big races would have people here claim they were insane to send him there so soon, that they should have protected him better and keep him in the small races.

In terms of reading a bike race, understanding the tactical implications and how to race in small groups, I'm not sure that he isn't totally daft.

It doesn't help that he comes across as entitled, and that any (racing) problem ought to be a nail he can swing his hammer at.
I actually like how he races. I like riders who animate and attack, with less thought to their placings than trying to win. Not saying he couldn't be more astute, but racing is always more entertaining when he, MVDP, and WVA are doing their thing. Such a refreshing change from the decades of calculated, guarded racing we've been watching.

Entitled? He sure does think he should win all the time. I also like that. Seems to work hard for others when asked as well.

Really? Why would DQS send Remco to the Dauphine when he wasn’t riding in the TDF?
He could have taken Knox' place, who was never in the Tour team (Knox was always set to race the Giro instead), but was selected for the Dauphiné.

They actually sent him to the UAE tour his 2nd month after turning pro. He finished the first MTF on Jebel Hafeet a few seconds behind Dumoulin, ahead of Costa, Schachmann, Nibali, Sivakov, and within 1 minute of winner Valverde. Either you are overestimating the UAE, or you are underestimating Evenepoel. Also nobody would expect him to outright dominate those races against Landa, Yates, Majka, Carapaz, Bennett, Kuss, Fuglsang, Lopez etc. Sending him directly to the big races would have people here claim they were insane to send him there so soon, that they should have protected him better and keep him in the small races.
I was not a fan of his 2020 schedule. It didn't make sense to me, considering his long-term goals as a GC racer. His 2019 program was fine (UAE Tour included), but in 2020 they could have had him race races with bigger climbs.

Algarve is a more prestigious and ITT-heavy race, so I get that he focused on that one and skipped UAE (he was set to race that one, too, IIRC) but overall... I dunno. Seems weird - and less than ideal - to me that he raced harder climbs in his first pro season.

I actually like how he races. I like riders who animate and attack, with less thought to their placings than trying to win. Not saying he couldn't be more astute, but racing is always more entertaining when he, MVDP, and WVA are doing their thing. Such a refreshing change from the decades of calculated, guarded racing we've been watching.

this.

i might add ala to that list as well.

Algarve is a more prestigious and ITT-heavy race, so I get that he focused on that one and skipped UAE (he was set to race that one, too, IIRC) but overall... I dunno. Seems weird - and less than ideal - to me that he raced harder climbs in his first pro season.
Seems like you are forgetting the entire season was shaken about due to Covid, and that the plan last year was to ride the Giro. But because Covid that race was held months later instead of in spring, and by that time he had already crashed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
poor old remco just wants some attention, ideal would be to cross the finish line first, that didnt work so then just bang your handlebars a bit and scream ... it worked
Stupid reaction. I see handlebar banging riders all the time, after losing in the sprint. This never leads to such pathetic reactions. Such sad comments say more about the persons who write them down.

Apparently my post wasn't courteous enough in response to suggestions of Evenepoel being an idiot, later to be reduced to "completely daft tactically", so i will try again. I am wearing my finest clothes and shaved especially for the occasion. Here goes: He started cycling as a junior when the season had already started for a few months, meaning he raced less than 2 full seasons as a junior. He won most of those races dominantly by finishing solo, there was no need for tactics. He then immediately became a pro, finished his first season with lots of up and downs, there were no real goals set. The idea was to have fun and learn. Then after only 23 racedays in his 2nd season, he crashed out. One could see that the main problem should rather be defined as "lack of experience" rather than "completely daft". As i bow my head and walk backwards out of the room, i hope i haven't offended anyone.

No matter what caused the level of his tactical understanding doesn't change what the level is. He may improve, but as of now he has showed no other tool in bike races other than swinging his hammer.

Honest question: What would you suggest for his tactics in a race such as the Belgian championship? If the race isn't selective enough or his hammer not hard enough, then it is what it is I suppose. I don't think he wins that sprint even if Van Aert is riding on a tricycle.

In 1-week stage races his tactics seem to be working well enough. Not the most glamourous discipline of cycling I guess, but the one he's had the most success in so far.

TRENDING THREADS