• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 297 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think it depends on what goals he wants to set in a year. If he wants to win his first GT and go all in on that he should go to the Giro but that's likely a mistake too. Vuelta vs Tour is a lot closer IMO.

I'm sure his goal next year is to go for the GC and he probably won't be happy with a place off the podium.

Win a GT???
Unhappy with a place off the podium???

I know this has already been said several times before but just let the kid run a couple of GT first and see how he performs on them before placing the expectations at such a high level...

The hype that surrounds him is totally surreal...

Last edited:
Win a GT???

I know this has already been said several times before but just let the kid run a couple of GT first and see how he performs on them before placing the expectations at such a high level...

I never said I expected him to win only what I think he wants to achieve next, judging by his comments. Going for the GC means trying to be as high as possible in the classification, Podium placers or top5 guys also go for the GC but don't win (only one can).

Win a GT???

If he starts in the Giro or the Vuelta the expectations will be sky high again. No matter how realistic that is.
That's why I'd send him directly to the TdF.
  • Not even his biggest fans will think he'll just go on winning the big one from the first time... so no real pressure (unless he smashes everyone in the Dauphiné of course, let's not do that Remco!)
    • The "I'm just here to learn" will actually be believable for this one.
  • It's the best fit with his talents
  • There is enough room to let him do smaller stage races first, and the Ardennes.
  • You always have the Vuelta as a backup plan

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Pog & Rog can be very strong in early spring already (see Tirreno or Paris-Nice this year) so there's no time of the year when it's easier to win against them.

There is the Ineos tactic though. Prioritise races that Pog and Rog don’t race at. Look at all the early season stage races they won this season and then they do the PR spin claiming it’s one of their most winning seasons ever.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pog & Rog can be very strong in early spring already (see Tirreno or Paris-Nice this year) so there's no time of the year when it's easier to win against them.
I know. And I genuinely think he can compete with them on courses like P-N or T-A. That should make the hype even bigger. On the other hand, if he flops, the hype will probably take a hit. At least as far as GTs go.

There is the Ineos tactic though. Prioritise races that Pog and Rog don’t race at. Look at all the early season stage races they won this season and then they do the PR spin claiming it’s one of their most winning seasons ever.
I don't think they prioritised races without Pog and Rog. They sent strong squads to every stage race. In T-A there were Thomas and Bernal against Pogi, in Itzulia there were Yates and Carapaz. In P-N also didn't help the abandon of Porte mid race.

It's just that they couldn't match the strongest two riders. Il Giro was probably the only race where one could say "yes, they are going to a big race with one of their strongest riders to take a big win while the strongest riders from the other teams are not around." But having a team as strong as INEOS even that is almost unavoidable.

I don't think they prioritised races without Pog and Rog. They sent strong squads to every stage race. In T-A there were Thomas and Bernal against Pogi, in Itzulia there were Yates and Carapaz. In P-N also didn't help the abandon of Porte mid race.

It's just that they couldn't match the strongest two riders. Il Giro was probably the only race where one could say "yes, they are going to a big race with one of their strongest riders to take a big win while the strongest riders from the other teams are not around." But having a team as strong as INEOS even that is almost unavoidable.
They send their strongest team to Catalunya, and they brought their strongest Tour disappointments to win the Dauphine, and their last Tour winner to win the Giro.

Hell they 100% did the same last year, with Thomas recalibrating for the Giro and then winning it with TGH.

TRENDING THREADS