• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 298 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Somebody may not be ready for a reality check. Maybe all of Belgium.
Would depend on what that reality turns out to be. Maybe a lot of other people might not be ready instead ;-)

I guess we'd know a bit more after a decent showing at TA/PN/TDS/DL/... but on the other hand, it doesn't mean all that much either, when it comes to GT aspirations. Don't forget, Schachmann won PN. McNulty came close to winning Itzulia (until his breakdown), Porte, Fuglsang and Martinez are the last 3 winners of the Dauphiné. If Evenepoel matches his 2020 form, i think people in need of fearing a reality check based on results in those races might not be the Evenepoel faithfuls. The problem is that those races don't necessarily mean much when it comes to winning a GT.

Would depend on what that reality turns out to be. Maybe a lot of other people might not be ready instead ;-)

I guess we'd know a bit more after a decent showing at TA/PN/TDS/DL/... but on the other hand, it doesn't mean all that much either, when it comes to GT aspirations. Don't forget, Schachmann won PN. McNulty came close to winning Itzulia (until his breakdown), Porte, Fuglsang and Martinez are the last 3 winners of the Dauphiné. If Evenepoel matches his 2020 form, i think people in need of fearing a reality check based on results in those races might not be the Evenepoel faithfuls. The problem is that those races don't necessarily mean much when it comes to winning a GT.

Evenepoel may triumph, flop or crash in Tirreno or Paris-Nice, but at least promise us after those races you'll stop discussing the 2020 Vuelta a Burgos :joycat:

• Love
Reactions: Blanco
The hype that surrounds him is totally surreal...
[/QUOTE]
They are delusional, he hasn't even proved nothing in a grand tour.
Pogacar deserve this hype, not remco. The guy with almost the same age has monuments and two tours, he could very well win more than 5 tours, but i don't see the same hype around him. Maybe, is because he is slovenian and not from belgium.
"If remco wants to win is first grand tour he should go to the giro", omg!

The hype that surrounds him is totally surreal...
Pogacar deserve this hype, not remco. The guy with almost the same age has monuments and two tours, he could very well win more than 5 tours, but i don't see the same hype around him. Maybe, is because he is slovenian and not from belgium.
[/QUOTE]

It's not just hype; it's people complaining that there is a hype.
He's just an exciting young rider with bags of potential.

I guess in a way I just summarised the entire thread.

Pogacar started riding when he was 11 years-old, broke out as a future potential in Austria as a junior at 16 years-old. Remco was not even riding his bike seriously at that age. This is not a verdict one way or the other, naturally, but they have had different bases going into the pro ranks. To be sure the Belgian has yet so much to prove, while the Slovenian has already demonstrated everything. Although Remco had a devestating fall, which hindered considerably his immediate progress. Let's thus wait and see.

It's not just hype; it's people complaining that there is a hype.
He's just an exciting young rider with bags of potential.

I would argue that the “complainers” are actually much more ardent and vocal in their dislike. Kind of dominates the conversation. Lots of so-called cycling fans who appear extremely vested in that he fail.

It really seems strange to me. My guess is that these “fans” are also complaining about lack of excitement in GTs. Wouldn’t a Remco who can actually challenge Pog eventually be something that would actually be exciting for cycling in general? Or is the hate so strong?

Last edited:
Yes, we should wait until he finishes mid-pack or worse in a few Grand Tours, pulls on a motorbike to get up a hill, and then does the paper boy because he can't climb. Then we'll wait for him to turn 26 or 27, magically smash 7-8 Grand Tours, and become the dominant GT rider of a generation. Definitely don't get excited about a rider who absolutely crushed everything in the juniors, went straight to the pros, won the first Classic he rode, took the European TT Championships, got 2nd in the World TT Championships, and despite a near career-ending crash has 22 professional victories by age 21. Nope, no hype warranted there.

After he suffers another major crash we should tout his comeback every time he finishes less than 30 minutes down on a flat stage. The Remco hype is delusional, but your Froome hype is rational. Makes sense.

Last edited:
I would argue that the “complainers” are actually much more ardent and vocal in their dislike. Kind of dominates the conversation. Lots of so-called cycling fans who appear extremely vested in that he fail.

It really seems strange to me. My guess is that these “fans” are also complaining about lack of excitement in GTs. Wouldn’t a Remco who can actually challenge Pog eventually be something that would actually be exciting for cycling in general? Or is the hate so strong?
Yes...totally agree...the haters are in full force. (whenever there is so much dislike, it usually means that they are afraid of Remco being successful) Why? I don't know. If they wish to applaud Tadej (and it is well deserved) then do so, but don't belittle Remco (no pun intended). It would be great for cycling for the Belgian to challenge Tadej. And in passing, if I may add, I alos wish he would race Le Tour instead of La Vuelta. Although if he chooses La Vuelta I really wouldn't mind so much. Vamos Remco Vamos!!!

When remco did a good performance in a long climb?!:sweatsmile: zoncolan? Passo giau?!
Hi there Trolly McTrollson, considering his declining form, i would indeed say his Zoncolan was rather "good". He finished 1m30 from Bernal, i hope you don't consider that "bad" especially it being his first GT and his first race in over 9 months after a severe injury.

What hype does Pogacar deserve? Hype, to me, is a feeling of anticipation. Pogacar has already achieved the highest possible, so there is little anticipation of what he can do anymore.
If you want to know where the hype concerning Evenepoel came from, look at his junior results. And while you're at it, compare them to Pogacar, and you'll understand why Evenepoel got much more hype and Pogacar didn't. Pogacar was a "great" talent, like there are great talents every year in the junior and U23 ranks. Evenepoel was something nobody had ever seen.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Yes...totally agree...the haters are in full force. (whenever there is so much dislike, it usually means that they are afraid of Remco being successful) Why? I don't know. If they wish to applaud Tadej (and it is well deserved) then do so, but don't belittle Remco (no pun intended). It would be great for cycling for the Belgian to challenge Tadej. And in passing, if I may add, I alos wish he would race Le Tour instead of La Vuelta. Although if he chooses La Vuelta I really wouldn't mind so much. Vamos Remco Vamos!!!

I think it's time to go on some other threads and troll the fanboys. Then again life is too short.

This thread should be called remco evenepoel the next Steven kruijswijk, he's got the same explosivity of him :tearsofjoy:
The guy can't even drop colbrelli in the climbs.
You bet on the wrong horse, cian uijdtbroeks will be the next belgian big thing, not remco.
No, he couldn't drop Colbrelli. He did drop Pogacar though :eek:

Anyway, why are you posting here and adding to the discussion and pagecount, when you could be putting that effort towards pushing the pagecount of Pogacar's thread?

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
No, he couldn't drop Colbrelli. He did drop Pogacar though :eek:

Anyway, why are you posting here and adding to the discussion and pagecount, when you could be putting that effort towards pushing the pagecount of Pogacar's thread?
We're almost 300 pages in, how many pages is just discussing page count at this poitn?

TRENDING THREADS