• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters

little diva?

team manager Sven Vanthourenhout had arranged a virtual meeting five days after the event to talk things through for the best part of half an hour.

"Everyone was there, except Remco," Stuyven said. "He was aware, but didn't think it was necessary. I think that is a shame, especially because he thought it necessary to say things on TV. That stuck with some of us."

If I was Vantourenhout I'd never select him again.
Yeah, but there are always politics involved when it comes to selecting the NT, not selecting Quicksteps cashcow (he's the main reason for the long term sponsorship deal) could cause some drama.
At the same time I could see multiple riders refusing to work for him after the recent events.
I'd say give him another chance to attent to a meeting like this one and talk things out and if he no shows you don't select him for at least one year.

Definitely not a good sign, but i wouldn't be so sure it's a diva attitude. From what i gather, he's cares very much about what people think of him, maybe he didn't want to face the team.

There's no excuse not to show up to what looked like a short team debrief, unless if Stuyven's story is wrong and Remco had a good training/racing clash and even voiced it. If not, after going on the media and after such a failed race in such an important race for Belgium, it just doesn't look good on him. Especially with his own colleagues.

Reactions: Luthor
There's no excuse not to show up to what looked like a short team debrief, unless if Stuyven's story is wrong and Remco had a good training/racing clash and even voiced it. If not, after going on the media and after such a failed race in such an important race for Belgium, it just doesn't look good on him. Especially with his own colleagues.
So you agree with what i wrote. Great.

Diva? Yes, absolutely. And it is a shame.

However, does he have the right to be unbelievably pissed off? And that’s a different question. Yes he absolutely does.

He turned out to be by far the strongest rider on the team on the day. And yet he was instructed several times that under absolutely no condition could he try anything. He does unbelievable work. And the rider who he sacrificed for and who didn’t want him on the team ends up not having the goods. And also not relaying that to the team until it’s too late.

So does he have the right to be pissed off? Yes he does. Should he act out in this way? Absolutely not. Should the manager be fired? Absolutely yes.

Remco should have disregarded the dumb team instructions and worked for Alap instead that day.

He'll be needing Alap's help in the GTs going forward. He'd basically be paying it forward.

Yes, it was a national team race, but the trad eteams often do work together. The 2000 OLympics was the only time Ullrich's T-Mobile team rode as a team and finished 1-2-3

Remco should have disregarded the dumb team instructions and worked for Alap instead that day.

He'll be needing Alap's help in the GTs going forward. He'd basically be paying it forward.

Yes, it was a national team race, but the trad eteams often do work together. The 2000 OLympics was the only time Ullrich's T-Mobile team rode as a team and finished 1-2-3
But that's exactly what already happened

He loves being in the spotlight so I guess changing nationality wouldn't really be of much help...
In his current situation it is much easier to be in the front pages by saying and behaving stupidly than by performing on the road...

It's a pity because the kid could have an amazing future - unfortunately I fear that in 5 or 10 years we will still be debating the enormous potential he has yet to be fulfilled... :rolleyes:

He loves being in the spotlight so I guess changing nationality wouldn't really be of much help...

It's the opposite. Imagine the fuss if he does it!
Remco: "I came to teach Poles how to ride a bike."
Lefevere: "Remco got crazy, I'm looking for a psychiatrist."
Van Aert: "Great news for the Belgian cycling."
Kwiatkowski: "Remco will be a superb domestique during the WC."

Last edited:
It's the opposite. Imagine the fuss if he does it!
Remco: "I came to teach Poles how to ride a bike."
Lefevere: "Remco got crazy, I'm looking for a psychiatrist."
Van Aert: "Great news for the Belgian cycling."
Kwiatkowski: "Remco will be a superb domestique during the WC."

Maybe he will also change his name to Remco Even a Pole.

Or perhaps Remcoszcz.

I hope I'm wrong but Evenepoel seems to be one of those immense talents for whom everything comes super easy super soon so it seems they're going to conquer the world, and they surround themselves with parasites and yes men who tell them how awesome they are at least 284 times per day so they take it all for granted, but when things start not going their way and wins no longer come easy they can't cope and it's only downhill from there. He's still super young so he could easily grow out of this diva crap, refocus and have a career worthy of his talent. And of course, maybe with more racing in his legs he'll put his injuries completely behind and he'll be sooo ridiculously good that he won't even need to grow up. But it's not a sure thing. I mean, how many years did Macaulay Culkin need to put his life back together and start being cool?

TRENDING THREADS