• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 302 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It is not mutually exclusive to both give a nod to Alaphilippe for his incredible strength that day, nor shake your head at the crap tactics of the Belgium squad, which were patently and objectively terrible along with a coach who really shouldn't be coaching the road team for major championships.
Belgium wasn't the only squad on the day and Remco not the only other combatant. Give the kid a break so he can get better and quit blaming the entire team except him. By the way; I've yet to see anyone credit Julian with being the Stud of The Worlds. I'm not a particular fan of him or his tactics but he did what everyone though Remco could do. Sorry he's French, for you.
PS: ask France's coach about the tactics and, if they were honest they'd admit: we don't know what Julian will do. Julian doesn't know what he'll do.

Belgium wasn't the only squad on the day and Remco not the only other combatant. Give the kid a break so he can get better and quit blaming the entire team except him. By the way; I've yet to see anyone credit Julian with being the Stud of The Worlds. I'm not a particular fan of him or his tactics but he did what everyone though Remco could do. Sorry he's French, for you.
PS: ask France's coach about the tactics and, if they were honest they'd admit: we don't know what Julian will do. Julian doesn't know what he'll do.
I think you're reacting to some of the other posts on this thread. I know I, and I know quite a number of other posters, have commented on Alaphilippe's strength and that he is a deserving winner and very much may have won no matter what tactics were used (by any team). That said, this is the Remco thread, and regardless what the eventual outcome would have been, there were some pretty crap tactics by his team.

If you want to see more comments praising Alaphilippe, those would be on his thread as well as the thread on the world championships.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think you're reacting to some of the other posts on this thread. I know I, and I know quite a number of other posters, have commented on Alaphilippe's strength and that he is a deserving winner and very much may have won no matter what tactics were used. That said, this is the Remco thread, and regardless what the eventual outcome would have been, there were some pretty crap tactics by his team.

If you want to see more comments praising Alaphilippe, those would be on his thread as well as the thread on the world championships.
The very reason Alaphilippes win isn't commented on more is that it was very impressive and that there was nothing to detract from that.

Just a sidebar note, I'm not Belgian or French

Reactions: Sandisfan

Masnada:
«Differences between Almeida and Evenepoel? Meanwhile, the similarities: they have an incredible talent and are so young that they still have to learn to race as captains. Almeida is quiet, almost peaceful. He conveys serenity in the race. Evenepoel has a devastating force in every sense: nervous, instinctive, sometimes you can't make him think. Stubborn, he emanates competitive malice and when you run for him you feel even more motivated and concentrated because he transmits professionalism and motivates you with his own determination ».

Masnada: «Differences between Almeida and Evenepoel? Meanwhile, the similarities: they have an incredible talent and are so young that they still have to learn to race as captains. Almeida is quiet, almost peaceful. He conveys serenity in the race. Evenepoel has a devastating force in every sense: nervous, instinctive, sometimes you can't make him think. Stubborn, he emanates competitive malice and when you run for him you feel even more motivated and concentrated because he transmits professionalism and motivates you with his own determination ».
Masnada is very articulate. I love it

I think you're reacting to some of the other posts on this thread. I know I, and I know quite a number of other posters, have commented on Alaphilippe's strength and that he is a deserving winner and very much may have won no matter what tactics were used (by any team). That said, this is the Remco thread, and regardless what the eventual outcome would have been, there were some pretty crap tactics by his team.

Got it but actually reacting as much to the Belgian riders' interaction. They are picking at each other and may very well have congratulated Julian as well. Seems like the in-fighting is more prevalent than I'd expect in the face of Alaphilippe's win.

Reactions: Ripper
It's purely theoretical, IMO, but Lefevere claims that they still haven't decided between the Giro and the Vuelta

"Lefevere has made it clear Evenepoel will not ride the Tour de France in 2022, leaving the Giro d’Italia in May and the Vuelta a España in August as options.

"We still haven't decided yet," Lefevere told Het Nieuwsblad when asked about Evenepoel's Grand Tour goals.

"We are still debating a bit in the team about what will be the best Grand Tour for Remco in 2022. I have my idea and initially thought of the Giro, but contrary to what some people think, I’m no dictator. I also listen to the team leaders and coaches before we make a decision during the first training camp in December."

Lefevere refuted a suggestion that he has struck a deal with one of the Grand Tour organisers to ensure Evenepoel’s presence.

"Before I can make a deal with an organisation, I first want to know the route," he said. "

So in short:

• He'll start his season in Argentine (San Juan)
  • He will ride several world tour stage races, but it is not yet known which ones. It's not hard to guess which can be considered: P-N or T-A, Dauphiné, Tour de Suise, Tour de Pologne
  • He will make his debut in the hilly classics: L-B-L, probably Amstel, Brabantse Pijl and Fleche Walloon
  • His grand tour for 2022 will probably be Vuelta, although Giro is still a possibility. Certainly no TdF
Should be a good season. 2023 can then be his debut in TdF. I just hope they send him toTdF 2023 as a stagehunter and not (yet) for the GC.

• Wow
I've never known riders to wait for the Vuelta route to decide what they're gonna do. It's just gonna be about the Giro route I reckon, Vuelta routes don't vary that much.
True, but they had already decided on the Vuelta a few weeks(?) ago, so why the backtracking? Or maybe they hadn't and it was only used as a bargaining chip.

Looks like RCS desperately want to have Evenepoel at the start. Not surprisingly, as he's probably #2 on their wish list (behind only Pogacar) of foreign riders.

True, but they had already decided on the Vuelta a few weeks(?) ago, so why the backtracking? Or maybe they hadn't and it was only used as a bargaining chip.

Looks like RCS desperately want to have Evenepoel at the start. Not surprisingly, as he's probably #2 on their wish list (behind only Pogacar) of foreign riders.

I don't really get why you would send Evenepoel to the Vuelta. (Also FW seems super not-suited to him, unless he manages to do the incredible thing, that is escape before the finish.) The timing would be better, but I don't see him very suited to the terrain.

I don't really get why you would send Evenepoel to the Vuelta. (Also FW seems super not-suited to him, unless he manages to do the incredible thing, that is escape before the finish.) The timing would be better, but I don't see him very suited to the terrain.
Sending him cold to LBL probably wouldn't be the wisest thing. And he's likely the one guy on QS who can make it even easier for the team and Alaphilippe to have to do nothing before the Mur de Huy.

If he’s going to do Amstel and LBL, there’s no reason not to do Flèche as well. The way it’s raced, it’s not a race that takes a lot out of a rider. If you think he shouldn’t go because he can’t win it—well, most years there are only 4-5 guys capable of winning, yet most of the peloton who will ride LBL still go.
And perhaps he could take over the Dan Martin tribute role and start way too far back and then see how many riders he can pass. ;)

Fair to say he'd race Fleche Walloon with Alaphilippe as teamleader.
Although it wouldn't be the first time Evenepoel defied certain odds.

If he rides all hilly classics I think he'll be leader for Brabantse Pijl, co leader in Liège and Amstel and super domestique in Fleche Walloon.

RCS desperaty wants evenepoel at the start?! Now, i understand why they reduce the ITTs of the giro 2022 lately, that's to seduce remco to come to the giro, it makes sense :tearsofjoy:

• Haha