• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 303 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I still think it would be better for him and the team if he did the Giro instead of Ardennes. I know he won San Sebastian but in my eyes the big one day races are a bit of a dead end for him, he's a GC guy for me. Also him doing LBL might just bring on leadership issues with Alaphilippe.
But I see PCS has him for Vuelta and LBL now, well, at least according to that schedule he's doing Dauphiné and Suisse.

I still think it would be better for him and the team if he did the Giro instead of Ardennes. I know he won San Sebastian but in my eyes the big one day races are a bit of a dead end for him, he's a GC guy for me. Also him doing LBL might just bring on leadership issues with Alaphilippe.
But I see PCS has him for Vuelta and LBL now, well, at least according to that schedule he's doing Dauphiné and Suisse.
Dauphiné and Suisse? That's going to be difficult.

I don't think RhD would appreciate that.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueRoads
Fair to say he'd race Fleche Walloon with Alaphilippe as teamleader.
Although it wouldn't be the first time Evenepoel defied certain odds.

If he rides all hilly classics I think he'll be leader for Brabantse Pijl, co leader in Liège and Amstel and super domestique in Fleche Walloon.
Co-leader in Liege and Amstel beside Alaphilippe in the team?! I don't think so.
He might be the 2nd or 3rd option though.

My Italian is... uhm ... rudimentary... :relaxed: but after looking at the article I think it's not the translation; the journo must have worked a bit on Masnada's sentences, I don't think many people would put the "testardo" at the beginning of a sentence while speaking... (or do you in Italian?)
Also the tempi seem to be used pretty perfectly for oral remarks of a cyclist... maybe Umberto Eco has come to life in him again. :D

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
My Italian is... uhm ... rudimentary... :relaxed: but after looking at the article I think it's not the translation; the journo must have worked a bit on Masnada's sentences, I don't think many people would put the "testardo" at the beginning of a sentence while speaking... (or do you in Italian?)
Also the tempi seem to be used pretty perfectly for oral remarks of a cyclist... maybe Umberto Eco has come to life in him again. :D

I don't know if Masnada is Shakespeare reborn (I have my doubts) but I have seen similar "quotes" from guys like Peter Sagan where you just know it's a million miles removed from how he would actually speak. Then again, he is probably more articulate in Slovakian than English, to be fair.

Masnada: «Differences between Almeida and Evenepoel? Meanwhile, the similarities: they have an incredible talent and are so young that they still have to learn to race as captains. Almeida is quiet, almost peaceful. He conveys serenity in the race. Evenepoel has a devastating force in every sense: nervous, instinctive, sometimes you can't make him think. Stubborn, he emanates competitive malice and when you run for him you feel even more motivated and concentrated because he transmits professionalism and motivates you with his own determination ».
It's clear not only that Fausto has all the physical characteristics of a grand tour leader, but also the necessary communication skills and diplomacy.

His words seem to caress my eyes and ears, I imagine the slightest of physical touch from Fausto feels like a full blown massage. Perfect insight on the differences between his 2 teammates

Well no, but I'm pretty sure written and oral languages differ considerably pretty much everywhere there's a history of written storytelling.

Yep, but I prefer the version of actually quoting people exactly (well, without the uhm/ehms). Gives me more insight. There might be cultural differences as to how much you change quotes when you write them down as well, or maybe it's just a question of the individual journalist.
Anyway, I guess he has achieved his goal... we all want to meet Fausto Masnada now, don't we?
(And I know toby is going to come and answer this with "No." :mad: )

By the way one more reason that this thread has so many pages is probably that it is the "Remco Evenepoel and everybody he ever met"-thread.

Yeah, probably because people look for simple solutions and this Thread is always there and since one could pick two other threads for the interview it just ends up easier using the one everyone always knows is on the first page and simultaneously everyone gets notifications to go here and when bored we know this thread is always open and free for all and lots of lovely entertainment (drama) so we go here. It has quite little to do with the tiny boy himself :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Do we know he has actually met Merckx?
CORVOS_00031787-004-800x525.jpg

TRENDING THREADS