• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 338 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
That he rode a negative split on the finishing lap indicates to me that he either bonked or froze. One of my pet peeves is when riders aren't prepared for the weather. They have access to expensive, lightweight high-tech materials and yet seems like every time it rains or it's below 10 degrees we see riders shivering, falling off their bikes trying to put on a gilet with frozen hands etc.

I'd have worn windproof shoe covers, knee warmers, maybe even a balaclava. And put them on BEFORE the climb. Watching Ciccone ride the descent with a jacket on backwards was comical.
Because no one has ever bonked wearing all the best “protective gear”. Much ado about nothing. If anything it shows he’s not … we’ll … um there’s another forum for that.

Because no one has ever bonked wearing all the best “protective gear”. Much ado about nothing. If anything it shows he’s not … we’ll … um there’s another forum for that.

I don't understand your response. My post said OR, as in he either got cold or didn't take in enough calories. Maybe a little of both...at any rate, I may have been wrong as he himself said he was just not good enough. But at the time it seemed a reasonable explanation for why he rode a negative split.

Anyway, this thread is just constant entertainment. He came into the WT with such high expectations and was such a blank slate that all of us armchair experts are certain we know him better than he does himself...

On that note, if I were his DS, I'd make him a mini-Wout (TTs, classics) who can win weeklong races so long as there aren't any Slovenians...a lot of hurdles to become a GT contender right now.

Would it make sense to send him to Milano-Sanremo?

Cipressa - Poggio must be within his limits and QST's other options seem very light at the moment. Ala's form is questionable, Jakobsen wouldn't make it over the Poggio, Ballerini's sprint is terrible even if he'd make it over the Poggio, the classics squad at Paris-Nice (Lampaert, Senechal, Stybar) all had to quit because of illness.

He'd have to finish alone though which seems nearly impossible but still he could turn out to be their best bet.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Cipressa - Poggio must be within his limits and QST's other options seem very light at the moment. Ala's form is questionable, Jakobsen wouldn't make it over the Poggio, Ballerini's sprint is terrible even if he'd make it over the Poggio, the classics squad at Paris-Nice (Lampaert, Senechal, Stybar) all had to quit because of illness.

He'd have to finish alone though which seems nearly impossible but still he could turn out to be their best bet.
Physiologically he is great for MSR, but he lacks the bike handling skills IMO

I would send Evenepoel to San Remo yes. Just go there with:

Alaphilippe
Asgreen
Evenepoel
Jakobsen
Ballerini
Senechal
Kind don’t care about the 7th rider, maybe Devenyns

You have a lot of cards to play with this team. Jakobsen unlikely to survive, but just in case you have the fastest guy in the world. Evenepoel can try to follow Pogacar. Alaphilippe for a late attack at Poggio if the race hasn’t exploded yet.
Asgreen, well he is Asgreen. He might surprisingly be the best of them all.

No, they should stick to the plan, rather than freewheeling/panicking. Only then, they'll have a frame of reference allowing them to finetune in the future.

I'm still puzzled about the current situation. Perhaps it is nothing more than a bad day at a bad moment. But i'm also surprised QS did not reveal much about his training focus during the off-season/early-season. Was climbing less of thing?

In any case, there's still 4 weeks until the hilly classics where i do expect him to blast the Brabantse Pijl. He has a nack for coming back strongly after a letdown. But a top-8 at Itzulia might be good for his morale anyway.

No, they should stick to the plan, rather than freewheeling/panicking. Only then, they'll have a frame of reference allowing them to finetune in the future.

I'm still puzzled about the current situation. Perhaps it is nothing more than a bad day at a bad moment. But i'm also surprised QS did not reveal much about his training focus during the off-season/early-season. Was climbing less of thing?

In any case, there's still 4 weeks until the hilly classics where i do expect him to blast the Brabantse Pijl. He has a nack for coming back strongly after a letdown. But a top-8 at Itzulia might be good for his morale anyway.

Yeah I agree they shouldn't panick/freewheel but would riding Milano-Sanremo deviate much from the plan? His next scheduled race (Itzulia) only starts on the 4th of April, plenty of time to prepare for that after Milano-Sanremo.

Especially since the team's other options at the race are highly questionable right now.

Imho this Tireno disaster was the best that could have happened to him.

Expectations will be more realistic now, so he can grow without the insane hype every time.
Hopefully QS will start treating him as the promising talent that still needs to be molded, and not as the new Merckx that will just crush the competition.
No Remco, you're not Pogačar, not even close. But that's OK. Set up a training plan and stick to it. And don't try to go for a result every time you start. And communicate that. (Cfr. WVA)

Will he ever win a GT? Maybe, if stars align (Yes Tao, thinking about you) or if he keeps on improving, but we'll see.

Anyway, if Belgium wants a new GT winner, there is a better bet to be made.

On that note, if I were his DS, I'd make him a mini-Wout (TTs, classics) who can win weeklong races so long as there aren't any Slovenians...a lot of hurdles to become a GT contender right now.

Yeah, I think this is what some people has said for awhile could be it for him. He could have a great career, winning many races. He already has won many races, but maybe not as many prestigious ones. Few WT-races. But hey, he is only 22. He has won a lot more already than the average 22 year old cyclist.

He had a rapid development until his crash. Of course, that must have affected him in some ways. He still came back and was good last year.

The question is if he just reached the level he was gonna be at really quick or if it has been haltered a lot by the crash. Either way he seems to have stagnated some in the development. There is not much difference from last season, so far! He is still making decent/good results. He won Algarve. But he is maybe not living up to the expectations put on him by himself, some fans, media and so on. There is a lot of pressure, especially if people believe he should be one of the favorites for the Vuelta later in the year. Right now, I think the expectations should only be "we will see how it goes" for the Vuelta. Let him ride and make best result he can and take it from there. Re-evalutate afterwards.

Evenepoel shouldnt be discarded just yet, but he has to break the current trend and be more consistent. Right now it is going in the wrong direction if people want to insist on him being a GC-guy for the GTs. It may change and maybe he will progress. Maybe he could have the perfect race and be in the form of his life. Like a Hesjedal, Thomas or TGH. The future is unknown.

To the bet though... Van Wilder perhaps, and maybe follow the development of Cian Uijtdebroeks or Henri Vandenabeele. If I were betting right now I would still place it on Remco while the odds seems to have sky-rocketed and his stock is down with people not believing in him as a GC-rider for the GTs. If I were a gambling man.

I hope the media can finally start to applaud him for what he achieves and not for what he should achieve. Belgian media has a tendency to frame his performance always from the perspective of a future GT winner. This makes all his wins just normal and every loss a disaster. It also adds to the generally negative view on him on social media and forums. He is mentally strong but at some point this may backfire badly. Yes, he has his GT aspirations and that's fine. Today, at 22, he shouldn't give up on that dream. He will need to grow and part of that is failing badly. If he discovers in the next few years that it doesn't work, he has still options to go in a different direction. And with this I also made my contribution to the GT vs no-GT future of Remco. It's my last post on this topic. promised! ;-)

Physiologically he is great for MSR, but he lacks the bike handling skills IMO

Exactly… When Remco is on the attack, he is so full of adrenaline that he sometimes makes mistakes, especially in the descents. In recent times, he was punished twice in Italy (Lombardia 2020 and Tirreno 2022). Most of all, the descent of the Poggio can be cruel. You normally have quite a high number of riders who are still quite fresh there. Speeds are high, aggression is high, and few centimeters decide between perfect situation for a victory and hospital.

Just remember the terrible crashes of Gerolsteiner‘s Moletta and Kopp in the 2000s… Just ugly to watch.

• Wow
Here, take this one https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/the-official-wilco-kelderman-is-the-new-merckx-thread.14700/

To the bet though... Van Wilder perhaps, and maybe follow the development of Cian Uijtdebroeks or Henri Vandenabeele. If I were betting right now I would still place it on Remco while the odds seems to have sky-rocketed and his stock is down with people not believing in him as a GC-rider for the GTs. If I were a gambling man.
Vandenabeele is no GT contender material. I think Van Wilder will take less effort to ''hone'' than Evenepoel but will lack the race altering exploits. Uijtdebroeks did not live up to his reputation in his 2nd junior year and still has everything to prove as a pro. At the moment there are a lot of maybes (maybe Ineos can get De Plus back on track as well), but imho Evenepoel remains the best bet.
Imho this Tireno disaster was the best that could have happened to him.

Expectations will be more realistic now, so he can grow without the insane hype every time.
Hopefully QS will start treating him as the promising talent that still needs to be molded, and not as the new Merckx that will just crush the competition.
No Remco, you're not Pogačar, not even close. But that's OK. Set up a training plan and stick to it. And don't try to go for a result every time you start. And communicate that. (Cfr. WVA)

Will he ever win a GT? Maybe, if stars align (Yes Tao, thinking about you) or if he keeps on improving, but we'll see.

Agreed except for the last sentence. No doubt you're talking about Uijtdebroeks, but maybe we should wait until he gets some results in pro races.
The focus had been on short efforts, his (lack of) punching and sprinting abilities, gaining extra muscle to better cope in hilly classics. The focus has not been on long climbs and weight balance.

Best result on Tirreno Adriatico GC:

Remco Evenepoel: 11th Overall
Simon Spilak: 11th Overall

What did I tell you all?

Meanwhile,

Fausto Masnada: 6th Overall (and dropped Simon Yates on a mountain stage !)

Agree.

If Remco improves a little bit, he could really become the „new“ Spilak.

That is a goal which is not too easily to achieve. Spilak won Tours de Suisse and Romandie.

Remco, however, has developed rather into a time trialist and a rider for the hard, short, flat one day races. Spilak was worse than Remco as a time trialist, but Spilak was a better climber.

don't understand why we are ruling him of. He won multiple smaller tour GCs which also involves climbing. it isn't that he can't climb, he just had a terrible day performing way under his normal level. Even if it isn't enough to compete with Pogacar who is pushing W/kg we haven't seen since Armstrong or Roglic who is somewhere in between. Besides those 2 everyone else is between 6 - 6.2W/kg which is where Remco is in as well.

Now its like the only thing he can do would be false flat road...

don't understand why we are ruling him of. He won multiple smaller tour GCs which also involves climbing. it isn't that he can't climb, he just had a terrible day performing way under his normal level. Even if it isn't enough to compete with Pogacar who is pushing W/kg we haven't seen since Armstrong or Roglic who is somewhere in between. Besides those 2 everyone else is between 6 - 6.2W/kg which is where Remco is in as well.

Now its like the only thing he can do would be false flat road...

I don't think we're writing him off (I'm not at least). He's still an immense talent and has the potential to develop into a world class GT contender. But it is kinda obvious he's not there yet and we can't be sure if he will ever reach that level.

TRENDING THREADS