• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Great ride and well-deserved!

Picked his moment and went all in. Not his fault everyone was caught napping or simply couldnt follow him. The strongest rider today.

In my opinion, Lombardia should be his next big target... but we will see how the Vuelta goes I guess.
Well racing is racing, and there's always dynamics after someone attacks and it is too much for one person to pull back, or if there is a cohesive effort that does not really pin it back quick. That is why attacking is such a great option when you can TT and you have the legs ... it only takes a few moments of hesitation in the pack to make it work. And human behaviour will often help, but only if you have the legs.

Reactions: jmdirt and gunara
I was totally wrong about this guy. He is more than a Belgian Simon Spilak. He is a great rider. Regards.
Who even thought he was the Belgian Spilak?.... I always thought was strictly a meme on this forum.

Anyways, he was obviously the strongest rider today, but I wonder how Pogacar and Roglic would have ridden Faucons instead of these idiots today. If, if, if.. chapeau!

Who even thought he was the Belgian Spilak?.... I always thought was strictly a meme on this forum.

Anyways, he was obviously the strongest rider today, but I wonder how Pogacar and Roglic would have ridden Faucons instead of these idiots today. If, if, if.. chapeau!
It became a meme because it was started by me and sometimes I can be a bit of a clown. I was being 100% serious, because I thought he would never have any prospects of winning a GT. And repeated it a lot so it became a meme..

I think I was always a little jealous of remco. He was the first big name world tour pro who was younger than me, and I used to dream of racing as a pro. So I envied him . I looked for any reason to dislike him.

He gained a lot my respect today for the way he rode. I know he did this a lot before but it was the first time he did it on such a scale that I had to admit my admiration.

I honestly suspect Pogacar would've just closed Evenepoel on La Redoute right away. Rog would probably sit in 45th position there and miss it.

I honestly suspect Pogacar would've just closed Evenepoel on La Redoute right away. Rog would probably sit in 45th position there and miss it.
Yes, if he was in good position, that is... there wasnt much space at all, and if you dont have the wheel, you basically have no shot to close him down on rolling terrain. Even Pogacar I believe.

But if he has 35 seconds, Im convinced Pogacar would give it a proper shot to close it down. Mas went kinda fast, but cmon man, where was Martinez and Vlasov on that climb? Doesnt make any sense to me.

Yes, if he was in good position, that is... there wasnt much space at all, and if you dont have the wheel, you basically have no shot to close him down on rolling terrain. Even Pogacar I believe.

But if he has 35 seconds, Im convinced Pogacar would give it a proper shot to close it down. Mas went kinda fast, but cmon man, where was Martinez and Vlasov on that climb? Doesnt make any sense to me.
Probably. Especially on peak form.

I also think none of the group behind were particularly strong today.

Reactions: jmdirt
And Mas was then even dropped after his effort (which makes sense, obviously) but came back because of the extreme passive racing. In my opinion, Remco would have won anyway at this point just because of his sheer strength on rolling terrain but how can a spent Mas and a dropped WvA come back after a selection was made and the gap to a solo attacker increase from 16s to 48s again? But not the first time this year that we saw extremly passive racing from some of the "favourites".

And Mas was then even dropped after his effort (which makes sense, obviously) but came back because of the extreme passive racing. In my opinion, Remco would have won anyway at this point just because of his sheer strength on rolling terrain but how can a spent Mas and a dropped WvA come back after a selection was made and the gap to a solo attacker increase from 16s to 48s again? But not the first time this year that we saw extremly passive racing from some of the "favourites".
It's called they didn't have the legs.

Reactions: Eeslliw and jmdirt
However you look at it, that was a show of class.
Without a doubt. I am personally curious on where to go from here. Can he replicate such attacks when everyone knows they are coming? Probably yes. Since today it was also already very expectable. What races can he win with that skillset? MSR, AGR, LBL, San Sebastian, Lombardia. Does his first very big win now translate in better GT racing? Not sold on that (yet).

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS