• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 358 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Do you guys think Remco will try something before Faucons?

I can't see him dropping Pog or a handful of the best puncheurs on a climb like that. And he has no sprint. Could try a late attack on the flats leading up to the finish line but I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Last edited:

I can't see him dropping Pog or a handful of the best puncheurs on a climb like that. And he has not sprint. Could try a late attack on the flats leading up to the finish line but I'm not sure that is a good idea.

He might try I guess. Problem for him is that he has a hard time getting away solo lately. There will always be guys jumping with him when he goes, and the question is if he gets a fair share of cooperation from the guys joining him.

Would be great if he can get into a group with some guys that will ride with him. Someone like Mohoric for example and one-two others that are willing to race. But chances are quite high he will be joined by riders who sole purpose is to neutralize his attack.

I can't see him dropping Pog or a handful of the best puncheurs on a climb like that. And he has not sprint. Could try a late attack on the flats leading up to the finish line but I'm not sure that is a good idea.

This question could be said for the 99% of the riders. They also won't be able to drop the best puncheurs and unable to sprint. He's no different to the rest. And like AlfaLum said, the big players won't let him get away as easy as he has in the past so he's gonna have to try another trick. Does he have any?

This question could be said for the 99% of the riders. They also won't be able to drop the best puncheurs and unable to sprint. He's no different to the rest. And like AlfaLum said, the big players won't let him get away as easy as he has in the past so he's gonna have to try another trick. Does he have any?

For me the best chance for Evenepoel is actually after the Roche aux Faucons. On a good day he should be able to limit the losses there to maybe 10-20 seconds. The part immediately after the Faucons suits Evenepoel really well and often there is a hesitation to ride immediately there.

So if he can get back on there and Alaphilippe is there as well it might be a very good situation for Remco, because from that point there will not be many domestiques left to do something and it will have to be the captains themselves that have to respond. That is where his best chances are for me.

However even there I think he is likely to get 2-3 guys with him. For example Vlasov in recent months seem to have learned to respond immediately when Remco goes.

Really? Alaphilippe may not have had the legs, but he was marking Pogacar, which was understandable, but not the winning tactic. He was waiting for a turn of speed from Tadej that never materialized. In the meantime, victory went up the road and he was then too far back to close. I'm not so sure Remco could have been useless on the Mur, as coming towards the half-way point or thereabouts he was looking round for Alaphilippe. With fresher legs he may have been able to do a pilot accelleration. Attacking from 30 k out would have equally yeilded nothing as having him close on the break before the Mur. At any rate, reserving Evenepoel for the Mur as a trigger point for Julien I think was worth a try.
Really!
He closed similar gap last year and won.
Valverde in 2014 closed even bigger gap and won.
I repeat, he didn't had the legs to win, and Remco could last on the Mur only until the s-bend.

Reactions: Eeslliw

I can't see him dropping Pog or a handful of the best puncheurs on a climb like that. And he has no sprint. Could try a late attack on the flats leading up to the finish line but I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Not on the Roche aux Faucons itself, there he'll have to try to hang on. But if he can hang on, there is a section waiting for him on top of RoF that was tailor made for him.

The window of opportunity for him is narrow. He has to go sooner than other big contenders deem ideal, but he has to go after those contenders have burned through most of their domestiques. So that either the intial chase is done by tired doms or rivals who want to keep their powder dry a bit longer. He can hope he gets some help from guys who think they can beat him in the sprint but who he can drop eventually.

So i think the team tactic will be to do a 1.5k leadout for Alaphilippe in the sprint (after all, that's clearly what they've been really training him for so far this season), so that the Frenchman can be outsprinted by Pogacar.

And Van Aert. And Martinez. And Bilbao. And Wellens. And my grandma.

Really!
He closed similar gap last year and won.
Valverde in 2014 closed even bigger gap and won.
I repeat, he didn't had the legs to win, and Remco could last on the Mur only until the s-bend.
Right and I was suggesting an attack before the s-bend to draw out the favorites and expose any potential weaknesses of Alaphilippe's rivals. Quick-Step deploying Evenepoel thusly, I think would have been of better service to Alaphilippe, regardless if the Frenchman had the legs to finish it off. Consequently, I stand by my opinion that that would have been a more win-oriented tactic, than the one actually pursued by Quick-Step in the final 10 k of the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

It's behind a paywall. The part about his weight in the interview was like this:

"If I want to perform in the Grand Tours, my body will have to change a bit, I realize. From 64 to 64.5 kilos now, I have to get down to 63. In the Giro, last year, I weighed 60.5, but my strength was completely used up after the first week. While I really need those for my time trials as well.

After Liège-Bastogne-Liège I will take ten days of rest and then do nothing but train on longer climbs. In Spain and at high altitude. In June I will also ride the Tour of Switzerland. After the championships it's building up to the Vuelta. Where I still start without pressure. Without a specific result in my head."

His Giro problems were not related to his weight. That is a poor excuse for not taking care of your weight. Quintana had the same issue and it killed him. And using the weight gain as defense for being better on TT and the flat but losing recovery for the mountains really bad.

2 kilos would makes a huge difference.
In Daniel Coyles book about Lance Armstrong there is a part about the Ventoux TT in Dauphine 2004 where Armstrong lost almost 2 minutes to Mayo.
There it says Brunyeel calculate that 1 kilo weight loss equals 1,25% each kilo and if Armstrong lost only 1 kilo before the Tour the gap would be less than half a minute.

So if Remco will have a 2,5% performance increase in climbs by going down to 62 kilos he should be a lot stronger.

• Wow
2 kilos would makes a huge difference.
In Daniel Coyles book about Lance Armstrong there is a part about the Ventoux TT in Dauphine 2004 where Armstrong lost almost 2 minutes to Mayo.
There it says Brunyeel calculate that 1 kilo weight loss equals 1,25% each kilo and if Armstrong lost only 1 kilo before the Tour the gap would be less than half a minute.

So if Remco will have a 2,5% performance increase in climbs by going down to 62 kilos he should be a lot stronger.
Following that line of reasoning, what's the lower limit? 50 kg? See him fly then ...

63 may very well be the optimum for him.

• Wow

It's behind a paywall. The part about his weight in the interview was like this:

"If I want to perform in the Grand Tours, my body will have to change a bit, I realize. From 64 to 64.5 kilos now, I have to get down to 63. In the Giro, last year, I weighed 60.5, but my strength was completely used up after the first week. While I really need those for my time trials as well.

After Liège-Bastogne-Liège I will take ten days of rest and then do nothing but train on longer climbs. In Spain and at high altitude. In June I will also ride the Tour of Switzerland. After the championships it's building up to the Vuelta. Where I still start without pressure. Without a specific result in my head."
If they really think him weiging 60.5kg last year was the problem, then they really are clueless. He weighed 61-62 when he was kicking Küng's and Dennis' butt in the Algarve TT so clearly he can still do great TT's at a lower weight as well. Knowing there are only few ITT km's in the Vuelta, him not losing more weight for his TT is beyond daft. He could possibly ride the ITT 20s faster being heavier, but he will easily lose a multitude of that by weighing 2kg more in the mountains.

Time to start looking for another team, Remco. Unless he's going to the Vuelta just for stagehunting, in that case, mosey on.

I find his schedule very disappointing. Having to wait until mid August for a first big goal is not really common... Would have been interesting for his learning curve (and his palmares?) to copy Pidcock's schedule with all the classics and the Giro. And to see the second part of the season as a bonus rather than the main dish.

In fact his 2022 schedule would have been perfect for 2021, and his 2021 schedule perfect for this year... Quick Step strategy is quite confusing...

My feeling is that Evenepoel will finish the year with the Tour of Algarve, the Tour of Norway and the Tour of Burgos. I hope for him I'm wrong. But he will be under a lot of pressure with only 3 big objectives ahead (LBL, vuelta, Worlds), and the 3 extra kg his team gave him.

Following that line of reasoning, what's the lower limit? 50 kg? See him fly then ...

63 may very well be the optimum for him.
The “2 kilos would make a massive difference” was aimed at the poster above me which said only 1,5 kg wouldn’t be enough. Maybe just 1 kg would be really big. According to Bruyneels math two decades ago it would. Of course there is the question where the body can’t deal with weight loss. It seemed like 60 kg in Giro last year was too little, so I guess trying to do the Vuelta at 62ish could be sensible to try.

Mas already did that, and I doubt Remco could ride harder.
Well it's up to his team to keep him in the game for that momment to find out if can go harder than Mas. As it was, he wasn't even in a position to try to be of any use. This is where I disagree with Quick-Step's managing of him late in the race; the difference between definitely being of no use and at least having the opportunity to be useful.

At any rate, the weight issue being discussed above seems to be a further factor or not just the weight, but he seems too stocky compared to the likes of Teuns, Vlasov, Valverde or Mas. He doesn't look withered enough to be honest.

If they really think him weiging 60.5kg last year was the problem, then they really are clueless. He weighed 61-62 when he was kicking Küng's and Dennis' butt in the Algarve TT so clearly he can still do great TT's at a lower weight as well. Knowing there are only few ITT km's in the Vuelta, him not losing more weight for his TT is beyond daft. He could possibly ride the ITT 20s faster being heavier, but he will easily lose a multitude of that by weighing 2kg more in the mountains.

Time to start looking for another team, Remco. Unless he's going to the Vuelta just for stagehunting, in that case, mosey on.
The Giro weight is whatever cause first race back and at so it's an insane reference poitn to extrapolate from.

I do think that even at 2020 weight he did less power than now, but it still seems really dumb to have him beef up.

From an interview with Het Nieuwsblad:

“Before the Basque Country, I worked very specifically on climbing for a month and I really felt that. The difference was big with Tirreno-Adriatico, which I started without any specific climb preparation. Then I also weighed a kilo more and that gives a completely different feeling uphill. I have found that as a rider I get the most pleasure from good climbing. In combination with the best possible time trials. I also think that I can still make the most progress in that area.”

How much margin do you have left in weight?
“I now weigh 64 kilos, which is already two and a half kilos less than in Valencia and the Algarve. But I'm never going to go under 60. You should not expect a major metamorphosis for the Vuelta either. The aim is to be there at 63 kilos. Last year I looked like a pure climber in the Giro, but we won't do that anymore. We know I have strong muscles, there's no point in changing that unnaturally. I have to make sure that my time trial remains a weapon.”