• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 356 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Interesting. Do you think his behavior is worse than that of say Pogacar who apparently shouted ''fck you, fck you, fck you'' at Van Baarle after the RVV finish? Just heard about that in the latest Lanterne Rouge podcast. Nobody batted an eye. If that were Evenepoel, the press would have a field day and this thread would have gained 50 pages. Was it even mentioned in the Pogacar thread? When he lost Liège, he was also shouting and making gestures about how dumb Alaphilippe was. Nobody minded, it's all good. But we don't get to see that side of Pog often because he usually wins when he wants.

Let me be perfectly clear, i don't like that side of Evenepoel either. The worst was how he treated that mechanic in BinckBank.

But i do think it's ironic and hypocritical how people feel the need to double down on Evenepoel and only Evenepoel. No other rider is under this much scrutiny. The guy gets more hate than a rider who actually put another rider in a coma. Adam Blythe calling him names on live tv before hundreds of thousands of viewers. I can only assume because the guy at the receiving end was a countryman. What was his reaction when Milan shoved a guy and caused a crash few weeks ago? Or Vernon in Andalusia? What an unprofessional tw4t, Blythe. When is hè going to apologize? So when it's Evenepoel, it's fair game apparently. But maybe Blythe is reading this thread too and his appalling behavior is also a result of some people sticking up for Evenepoel. In that case, hey Adam, you're a tw4t!

Seriously though, he should keep his hands off other riders, just like everybody else. However, nobody mentions the behavior of Turner. I remember De Cauwer saying only one or two months ago, you can disrupt a chase or a break by not committing when taking turns, but you can not purposely block or actively deny others of taking their turn. This is exactly what Turner did, coming off the front with a weak turn, immediately trying to get into Campenaerts' wheel while Evenepoel was in Campenaerts' wheel and next in line. Funny thing, De Cauwer usually says ''or don't be surprised when you get stomped one day'' quite often in case riders don't follow peloton etiquette. So as much as i feel Evenepoel should keep his hands to himself, it's surprising to see so few (as in none) objections made to Turner's move.

The thing is, Evenepoel can't take a dump without people having an opinion on how it smells. Everything is put under a microscope and blown out of proportion. But maybe he should leave Belgium, and while he's at it, change his nationality.

this is the remco evenepoel thread, is it not? So we discuss remco and his on and off bike behavior. What other riders do or don’t do does not diminish his actions. He comes across as an arrogant sh*t with a larger than life ego without the palmares to back it up and is perceived this way by a huge number of people. Surely these people are not all off their meds, yes? This is the reason why his character gets the negative attention he gets.

this is the remco evenepoel thread, is it not? So we discuss remco and his on and off bike behavior. What other riders do or don’t do does not diminish his actions. He comes across as an arrogant sh*t with a larger than life ego without the palmares to back it up and is perceived this way by a huge number of people. Surely these people are not all off their meds, yes? This is the reason why his character gets the negative attention he gets.
Have we (Cycling News Forum) created a monster ... feeding the insatiable ego of the new Merckx in waiting? And if so, does our only hope of salvation rest with this guy:
maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting. Do you think his behavior is worse than that of say Pogacar who apparently shouted ''fck you, fck you, fck you'' at Van Baarle after the RVV finish? Just heard about that in the latest Lanterne Rouge podcast. Nobody batted an eye. If that were Evenepoel, the press would have a field day and this thread would have gained 50 pages. Was it even mentioned in the Pogacar thread? When he lost Liège, he was also shouting and making gestures about how dumb Alaphilippe was. Nobody minded, it's all good. But we don't get to see that side of Pog often because he usually wins when he wants.

Let me be perfectly clear, i don't like that side of Evenepoel either. The worst was how he treated that mechanic in BinckBank.

But i do think it's ironic and hypocritical how people feel the need to double down on Evenepoel and only Evenepoel. No other rider is under this much scrutiny. The guy gets more hate than a rider who actually put another rider in a coma. Adam Blythe calling him names on live tv before hundreds of thousands of viewers. I can only assume because the guy at the receiving end was a countryman. What was his reaction when Milan shoved a guy and caused a crash few weeks ago? Or Vernon in Andalusia? What an unprofessional tw4t, Blythe. When is hè going to apologize? So when it's Evenepoel, it's fair game apparently. But maybe Blythe is reading this thread too and his appalling behavior is also a result of some people sticking up for Evenepoel. In that case, hey Adam, you're a tw4t!

Seriously though, he should keep his hands off other riders, just like everybody else. However, nobody mentions the behavior of Turner. I remember De Cauwer saying only one or two months ago, you can disrupt a chase or a break by not committing when taking turns, but you can not purposely block or actively deny others of taking their turn. This is exactly what Turner did, coming off the front with a weak turn, immediately trying to get into Campenaerts' wheel while Evenepoel was in Campenaerts' wheel and next in line. Funny thing, De Cauwer usually says ''or don't be surprised when you get stomped one day'' quite often in case riders don't follow peloton etiquette. So as much as i feel Evenepoel should keep his hands to himself, it's surprising to see so few (as in none) objections made to Turner's move.

The thing is, Evenepoel can't take a dump without people having an opinion on how it smells. Everything is put under a microscope and blown out of proportion. But maybe he should leave Belgium, and while he's at it, change his nationality.
As far as I could tell, there were multiple articles on the front page of various outlets about the Pogacar incident, and that didn't happen right in front of everyone's eyes on TV. Beyond that, man you are so overreacting to the Blythe remark because you're a fan of Remco. Blythe literally walked back the remark about 20s later, it was a vivid reaction to Remco being an idiot while he was commentating on the race. You're acting like he went to the press after the race and called Remco a spoiled little brat. The comparison to the Vernon incident is an absolute travesty. Vernon should have been DQ'd, but it was on a helishot at like 1.5KM to go on a sprint, was not replayed at all, and I'd be extremely surprised if more than 3-4% of the people that watched that sprint noticed it. Comparing it to a push metres away from the camera bike that was looking straight at it is so disingenuous I'd be amazed if you even believe that is a fair comparison. That's not even mentioning that you don't know if he even watched Catalunya. Blythe is a complete and utter moron, but learn to argue without saying fallacious rubbish.

Also I don't know why you'd be surprised to see basically no one object to Turner's move, considering a rider moving like 20cm to the left as a rider moves in front of them is... I don't know what to say, completely unobjectionable?

Edit: Also, insanely unlikely that the English Eurosport feed had tens of thousands watching Brabantse Pijl, let alone hundreds of thousands. Those kind of numbers literally only happen for the Tour.

Just for clarity, because of the when is he going to apologize remark here's a transcript of what he said during the race as it happened: "What is he doing. That spoiled little brat... crikey. Yeah, do you not what, I'm sorry for saying that, at the same time y'know, he doesn't treat riders with respect. Why has he just fully pushed him out the race, if someone did that in a sprint they'd be disqualified, it's the same thing (I disagree with this fwiw), watch this now, he's just taken Remco's wheel because he's moved across and he's pushed him out the way. To me that is no different to pushing someone out of the way in a sprint, so why shouldn't he be disqualified, I'm sorry if people don't like that, but keep your hands on the bars, there's no need to do it. Apologies everyone for saying he's spoiled little (gets interrupted)."

So the answer to when will he apologize is, he did instantly after the remark, he knew he shouldn't have said that but it was a knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvarani
As far as I could tell, there were multiple articles on the front page of various outlets about the Pogacar incident, and that didn't happen right in front of everyone's eyes on TV. Beyond that, man you are so overreacting to the Blythe remark because you're a fan of Remco. Blythe literally walked back the remark about 20s later, it was a vivid reaction to Remco being an idiot while he was commentating on the race. You're acting like he went to the press after the race and called Remco a spoiled little brat. The comparison to the Vernon incident is an absolute travesty. Vernon should have been DQ'd, but it was on a helishot at like 1.5KM to go on a sprint, was not replayed at all, and I'd be extremely surprised if more than 3-4% of the people that watched that sprint noticed it. Comparing it to a push metres away from the camera bike that was looking straight at it is so disingenuous I'd be amazed if you even believe that is a fair comparison. That's not even mentioning that you don't know if he even watched Catalunya. Blythe is a complete and utter moron, but learn to argue without saying fallacious rubbish.

Also I don't know why you'd be surprised to see basically no one object to Turner's move, considering a rider moving like 20cm to the left as a rider moves in front of them is... I don't know what to say, completely unobjectionable?

Edit: Also, insanely unlikely that the English Eurosport feed had tens of thousands watching Brabantse Pijl, let alone hundreds of thousands. Those kind of numbers literally only happen for the Tour.

Just for clarity, because of the when is he going to apologize remark here's a transcript of what he said during the race as it happened: "What is he doing. That spoiled little brat... crikey. Yeah, do you not what, I'm sorry for saying that, at the same time y'know, he doesn't treat riders with respect. Why has he just fully pushed him out the race, if someone did that in a sprint they'd be disqualified, it's the same thing (I disagree with this fwiw), watch this now, he's just taken Remco's wheel because he's moved across and he's pushed him out the way. To me that is no different to pushing someone out of the way in a sprint, so why shouldn't he be disqualified, I'm sorry if people don't like that, but keep your hands on the bars, there's no need to do it. Apologies everyone for saying he's spoiled little (gets interrupted)."

So the answer to when will he apologize is, he did instantly after the remark, he knew he shouldn't have said that but it was a knee jerk reaction.
The Vernon incident was certainly replayed. Whether Blythe was commentating or not or even saw it is besides the point. Whether it was filmed from a heli or up close is besides the point. It happened. He did it. Where's the outcry.

You seem to mistakingly think my post was about Blythe. It was merely one of many examples to show how people have become unable to judge objectively when it comes to Evenepoel. Would Blythe comment that Moscon is a facist pig when he did something wrong (and then apologize)? Would he call Groenewegen an arrogant *** (and then apologize)?

The Vernon incident was certainly replayed. Whether Blythe was commentating or not or even saw it is besides the point. Whether it was filmed from a heli or up close is besides the point. It happened. He did it. Where's the outcry.

You seem to mistakingly think my post was about Blythe. It was merely one of many examples to show how people have become unable to judge objectively when it comes to Evenepoel. Would Blythe comment that Moscon is a facist pig when he did something wrong (and then apologize)? Would he call Groenewegen an arrogant *** (and then apologize)?
In the wake of the incident Groenewegen was called a murderer. Received death threats. Not by Blythe (at least not live on the telly) but by pretty much everyone else. Remco is behaving like a tool lately. There's no two ways about that. People notice.

More hate than a guy who put someone in coma. Lol. I think you seriously underestimate how much hate Groenewegen received in the months after that incident.
You're Dutch i think. Go read some wielerflits comments. Say, of the past 3 years of every Evenepoel article. I thought it was clear that i was not specifically referring to what happened in Brabantse Pijl but in general. You still see many people bash Groenewegen for being the arrogant twerp he was for years before the incident? For causing the actual incident? That's in the past, now people almost feel sorry for him.

You're Dutch i think. Go read some wielerflits comments. Say, of the past 3 years of every Evenepoel article. I thought it was clear that i was not specifically referring to what happened in Brabantse Pijl but in general. You still see many people bash Groenewegen for being the arrogant twerp he was for years before the incident? For causing the actual incident? That's in the past, now people almost feel sorry for him.

I think Groenewegen always received a fair share of hate in line with the general amount of attention he was getting.

After the incident the amount of hate was extreme. Even to a level where he was protected by the police. Even to a level where he received a noose from somebody with the message that he could use it for his little one.

I think partially people feel sorry for Groenewegen because after being the cause of the incident he became the victim of so many other people. I also think that after the incident Dylan has come across as way more gentle and humble than before the incident, which also helps.

With Remco I think he just receives way more attention than any other rider in the history of the sport. This also translates into getting more hate. From that sense it is logical that the Milan incident or the Vernon incident do not provoke the same amount of outspoken disgust by other parties, because hardly anybody really cares about these guys anyway for now.

I think Remco also receives a lot of positivity for his racing style. However his personality also causes him to receive a lot of negativity when he make (yet another) mistake.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, we were saying that Remco's main goals for the season were

1. La Vuelta
  2. Ardennes Classics
But now that we are approaching the Ardennes, I don't really see how he can compete for himself, when Alaphilippe is one of the main contenders in those races. Will Remco be free to attack when he wants to ?

Well I don't see him winning in Fleche Walloon but he's an outsider in Liège.

So, we were saying that Remco's main goals for the season were

1. La Vuelta
  2. Ardennes Classics
But now that we are approaching the Ardennes, I don't really see how he can compete for himself, when Alaphilippe is one of the main contenders in those races. Will Remco be free to attack when he wants to ?
I believe Alaphilippe will work mostly for Remco.

It's clear Alaphilippe values Remco as a tag-teammate as long as it's Alaphilippe who can reap the benefits. The moment it's Remco that could use some help, all of a sudden Alaphilippe has a bad day and doesn't have the legs.
Based on what? Brabantse Pijl? Come on now....

Alal should be higher in the pecking order. Hes double World Champion, many of the stages in the Basque Country were better suited to him and Fleche Wallone for sure is better suited for him!

Alal should be higher in the pecking order. Hes double World Champion, many of the stages in the Basque Country were better suited to him and Fleche Wallone for sure is better suited for him!

Basque Country with Evenepoel in the leaders Jersey was quite underwhelming from Alaphilippe to be fair. Might just be a lack of form, but he did not seem to be making much of an effort to do something.

Which would have been more than fair considering everything Evenepoel did for Alaphilippe in the same week. In general I think Alaphilippe isn’t a superb team mate. Even in Strade for example he had Asgreen working for him to get back on, only to start working for Asgreen minutes later himself because he had shite legs after his crash.

Bit too early to call because Alaphilippe is leader so often, but surely he has not been impressive that often while riding for a team mates chances.

I'm not debating that certain races and finishes suit Alaphilippe more. I don't think you could interpret my post that way. I'm saying that they seem to want to come across as a tag team, but that in reality that has shown to be rather unilateral so far. That said, i was simply responding to a post that (jokingly i presume) suggested Alaphilippe working for Evenepoel.

I'm not debating that certain races and finishes suit Alaphilippe more. I don't think you could interpret my post that way. I'm saying that they seem to want to come across as a tag team, but that in reality that has shown to be rather unilateral so far. That said, i was simply responding to a post that (jokingly i presume) suggested Alaphilippe working for Evenepoel.
I'd agree that the appearance of being a duo is strategically sound; it hasn't played out totally that way. Ala has done the type of lead out work that Remco's done this season but these races aren't shaping up to be a mass finish affair, are they?