• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 406 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting analysis on RAI Tour coverage by Stefano Garzelli regarding Evenepoel's GT prospects, with the intent being can he one day challenge Tadej at the Tour? Garzelli's responded with, in a nutshell, he's a huge talent, can tt, can climb, but that he needs to work on his mental toughness. In a GT, Garzelli said, a GC candidate has to be concentrated for 3 weeks, the third being decisive. One must always be vigilant, riding towards the front of the peleton always, on flat stages, just as on mountain ones. So his team made a big mistake bringing the lad to the Giro after his accident with inadequite prep. Now he does the Vuelta and his team will analyse the data, both physical and mental, to see above all how he handles the third week, to then plan for a Tour debut.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis on RAI Tour coverage by Stefano Garzelli regarding Evenepoel's GT prospects, with the intent being can he one day challenge Tadej at the Tour? Garzelli's responded with, in a nutshell, he's a huge talent, can tt, can climb, but that he needs to work on his mental toughness.

frankly, i would take anything clinician-supreme garzelli has to say about mental toughness with a hefty grain of salt.

having said that, i am having a hard time imagining remco contending at this TDF considering the level.

Well, mental toughness, as you know, is a grey area, still I think he has a point.
I think he rode an exemplary first two weeks during the Giro. He certainly didn't lose time due to mental weakness or not being attentive. If it weren't for his technical inability to ride on gravel, he would have been only seconds behind Bernal at the start of the Zoncolan stage.

I think he rode an exemplary first two weeks during the Giro. He certainly didn't lose time due to mental weakness or not being attentive. If it weren't for his technical inability to ride on gravel, he would have been only seconds behind Bernal at the start of the Zoncolan stage.
True, but Garzelli was pointing out the fact that to come good in a GT, you have to handle the third week (mental, as much as physical). And he was in no way discounting Remco, just advising that that's what it takes. Of course, with this Tadej it's a tall order.

True, but Garzelli was pointing out the fact that to come good in a GT, you have to handle the third week (mental, as much as physical). And he was in no way discounting Remco, just advising that that's what it takes. Of course, with this Tadej it's a tall order.
He hasn't had the chance to show that yet and so far nothing is pointing to the opposite.

Reactions: Extinction
I'm sorry but no version of Remco past or future beats peak Pogi in a grand tour.

How can Remco ever succeed when his fans have such unbelievable expectations. He is an incredible rider and I look forward to what he will do in the future, but expecting him to take it to the phenom that is pogi (and the true modern day version of Merckx) by just "being mentally tougher" is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: Sandisfan and topt
I'm sorry but no version of Remco past or future beats peak Pogi in a grand tour.

How can Remco ever succeed when his fans have such unbelievable expectations. He is an incredible rider and I look forward to what he will do in the future, but expecting him to take it to the phenom that is pogi (and the true modern day version of Merckx) by just "being mentally tougher" is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
I thought we were talking about mental toughness over 3 weeks? How did you end up at beating prime Pogacar?

Interesting analysis on RAI Tour coverage by Stefano Garzelli regarding Evenepoel's GT prospects, with the intent being can he one day challenge Tadej at the Tour? Garzelli's responded with, in a nutshell, he's a huge talent, can tt, can climb, but that he needs to work on his mental toughness. In a GT, Garzelli said, a GC candidate has to be concentrated for 3 weeks, the third being decisive. One must always be vigilant, riding towards the front of the peleton always, on flat stages, just as on mountain ones. So his team made a big mistake bringing the lad to the Giro after his accident with inadequite prep. Now he does the Vuelta and his team will analyse the data, both physical and mental, to see above all how he handles the third week, to then plan for a Tour debut.
I thought we were talking about mental toughness over 3 weeks? How did you end up at beating prime Pogacar?
Maybe I misunderstood?