• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 409 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
The (translated) title is literally that they consider the debut in 2024. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Thats just overcautious.
Yes, that's what it says. But i don't see any comment about 22 being too young or whatever you were saying. It also says it's just an option at this point and that he (Lefevere) might change his mind. Let's see what the Vuelta brings first. If he finishes on the podium, i guess they will reconsider. If he finished 12th at 23 minutes, then doing the Giro in 2023 might not be a bad idea. Unless he wants to go for stages in the TDF of course.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Lefevere comparing Remco to Froome and then complaining about the pressure in a few months…

If he indeed does the giro next year (possibly with the vuelta) it might be ok. Although I think theTour will most likely fit him best.

Not liking Patrick saying he is tring out for the Gc but that the spanish Climbs might not suit him….Let the guy just be free to hunt some stages and see how he feels. GC will come automatically if that goes well.

• Wow
It's as much bs to say he's never gonna win GT, completely bs.

He's entered this game from non-traditional route (futsal, foot massage.. what's that thing anyways? table tennis?) but he's showing that much already and he just needs to go forward these steps that he's going. And he's going stable and well. Racing stage races goes forward. What he did in Liege, big step, tt he can. It's all going forward. As I earlier said, now they talking, when PL said what they're planning with GT's for him.

He needs to get better in different areas, but it's possible. When you're number 4 at UCI-ranking and you're 22 yrs, you have time to hone your skills yet more and still excel.
Never said he wasnt a good rider. He allready is a great rider. And I would be happily surprised if he managed to win one, after all Oscar Pereiro won the tour to...
Just some small details are lacking that I feel are very hard to overcome for riders with GT ambitions.
He seems to struggle badly when faced with true 2000m cols and good opposition. With all his talent, he should be doing better, but I feel that the gap between his current level and whats required is huge. Even more because the parcours these days tend to go for more climbs, longer, steeper, more top finishes,... and minimum TT.
And secondly in the limited longer demanding tours he has ridden he tends to fade or have a day off. Might be the age, but it is something that true grand tour talent tends to have from a young age: the ability to stay strong when others fade after days or weeks of serious races.
Winning a grand tour is about perfection, having no weaknesses, and his current weaknesses are in the most critical areas for a GT winner.

Never said he wasnt a good rider. He allready is a great rider. And I would be happily surprised if he managed to win one, after all Oscar Pereiro won the tour to...
Just some small details are lacking that I feel are very hard to overcome for riders with GT ambitions.
He seems to struggle badly when faced with true 2000m cols and good opposition. With all his talent, he should be doing better, but I feel that the gap between his current level and whats required is huge. Even more because the parcours these days tend to go for more climbs, longer, steeper, more top finishes,... and minimum TT.
And secondly in the limited longer demanding tours he has ridden he tends to fade or have a day off. Might be the age, but it is something that true grand tour talent tends to have from a young age: the ability to stay strong when others fade after days or weeks of serious races.
Winning a grand tour is about perfection, having no weaknesses, and his current weaknesses are in the most critical areas for a GT winner.

We've heard it all before.

Yes, that's what it says. But i don't see any comment about 22 being too young or whatever you were saying. It also says it's just an option at this point and that he (Lefevere) might change his mind. Let's see what the Vuelta brings first. If he finishes on the podium, i guess they will reconsider. If he finished 12th at 23 minutes, then doing the Giro in 2023 might not be a bad idea. Unless he wants to go for stages in the TDF of course.
What else other than the age could be the argument to not bring him to the Tour next year?

Developement, trying to win other races instead of competing against Pogi, Vinge etc. I think there are lots of good arguments to stall the TdF-debut if he has a mediocre or below Vuelta, but if he has a great one, its prolly TdF 2023.
Exactly, the team can't expect him to be competitive at the Tour against Pogi, Vinge, etc., before he actually starts competing against them there. Hell, I'd have brought him to this Tour. If Pidcock can win on Alpe d'Huez in his first Tour at his age, then Evenepoel should be here God damn it!

What is all this caution about? They are keeping him from developing with his peers.

Reactions: red_flanders
People still pretending Remco hasn't proven yet to have GC-level climbing skills? (@stekelegel @Valv.Piti @memyselfandI)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE-7QAOtEw

6.5W/kg on 30 minute climb. and 6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. Pogacar only reached 6.4W/kg on 27 minute climb and 6.7-6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. This means Remco is objectively faster than Pogacar. QED

Yes Remco is a way better climber than Pogacar. For sure. Everybody can see it. Especially based on results.

I'm sorry, is this serious? I mean Masnada has finished the Giro and gotten as good as 9th. He's 28. Does anyone really think this is someone who Evenepoel should be working for? He's a nice rider, a solid addition to a GT team. He's not a race leader.
Yes I am serious because I watch cycling.

Masnada was 9th in the Giro by accident. He was working as a gregario for joao Almida an taking it easy. He has proven he can go 3 weeks in a grand tour but never got the support of a team

In Lombardia 2021 when Pogacar destroyed all the best riders in the wolrd, like Roglic , Evenpoel and alaphilippe, it was Masnada that could match him.

There is a reason Lefevre signed Masnada to a 3 years contract. He is a real asset to the team..

Courageous, aggressive, attacking and intelligent rider, but also a gracious guy who is very popular in the peloton and will work hard for his teammates. (Like his 4km leadout for bagioli in Volta Catalunya)

But he deserves his chances as a leader. He has had so much bad luck

And you say that Masnada best result is only 9th in a grand tour.
What is Remcos?

Regards

I'm sorry, is this serious? I mean Masnada has finished the Giro and gotten as good as 9th. He's 28. Does anyone really think this is someone who Evenepoel should be working for? He's a nice rider, a solid addition to a GT team. He's not a race leader.

Don't feed the troll. This is coming from a guy that seems to confuse Remco with Spilak or Wout with Pozzato.
Masnada is a rider that can be a great domestique but will never be more. The Giro he succeeded in 9th place but actually he droppped early on most climbs and ended up climbing on his own tempo both keeping him up in GC and effectivly made sure he didn't have to do any hard climbing for leader Almeida.

I sence a bit of Italian envy for the great generation of Belgian riders.

Don't feed the troll. This is coming from a guy that seems to confuse Remco with Spilak or Wout with Pozzato.
Masnada is a rider that can be a great domestique but will never be more. The Giro he succeeded in 9th place but actually he droppped early on most climbs and ended up climbing on his own tempo both keeping him up in GC and effectivly made sure he didn't have to do any hard climbing for leader Almeida.

I sence a bit of Italian envy for the great generation of Belgian riders.

To the bolded, I don't think envy comes into play, as there is only admiration. However, Italy is hurting to find a new talent.

Yes I am serious because I watch cycling.

We all do.

Masnada was 9th in the Giro by accident. He was working as a gregario for joao Almida an taking it easy. He has proven he can go 3 weeks in a grand tour but never got the support of a team

In Lombardia 2021 when Pogacar destroyed all the best riders in the wolrd, like Roglic , Evenpoel and alaphilippe, it was Masnada that could match him.

There is a reason Lefevre signed Masnada to a 3 years contract. He is a real asset to the team..

Yes, as a helper for Remco.

Courageous, aggressive, attacking and intelligent rider, but also a gracious guy who is very popular in the peloton and will work hard for his teammates. (Like his 4km leadout for bagioli in Volta Catalunya)

But he deserves his chances as a leader. He has had so much bad luck

He's a nice rider and has a few nice results. He's not done anywhere near enough to warrant GC leadership on a team. Sorry. What has he won? Not much.

And you say that Masnada best result is only 9th in a grand tour.
What is Remcos?

Well I say it because it's his best result in a GT. He's done nothing close to it before. He's done 20th, 28th, not sure what else. So he's improving, which is great.

What is Remco? One of the biggest talents in the peloton, winner of many, many races. Look, these guys are on the same team. The team knows who the talent is between them, as does anyone with a functioning set of eyes. It's not a debate, I hate to tell ya.

People still pretending Remco hasn't proven yet to have GC-level climbing skills? (@stekelegel @Valv.Piti @memyselfandI)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE-7QAOtEw

6.5W/kg on 30 minute climb. and 6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. Pogacar only reached 6.4W/kg on 27 minute climb and 6.7-6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. This means Remco is objectively faster than Pogacar. QED

Tbo it's very different case scenario to rip up in ToN on stage 3 than in TdF like these hot days, after two weeks, maybe after hitting the deck once twice and things like that..

It takes some to take those loads that GT's are. But he's steady climbing up the ladders, that is good. But I think it's very good for him as the public pressure for him is huge that team is taking the longer route to the Tour. Team probably see those spots we've been talking here and are not just throwing him to the lions, straightest possible ticket to the Tour.

Lately, at least in this Tour it's probably seen clearly, that this is team sport. There is about zero slack everywhere and quality of the peloton is huge. Like Pogi can't solo manhandle JV and others just like that, it's the very same for Remco. He must grow few areas, he needs super team for the race, stay up and close first half of any GT, then the race typically starts. :cool::grimacing: