• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 410 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Don't feed the troll. This is coming from a guy that seems to confuse Remco with Spilak or Wout with Pozzato.
Masnada is a rider that can be a great domestique but will never be more. The Giro he succeeded in 9th place but actually he droppped early on most climbs and ended up climbing on his own tempo both keeping him up in GC and effectivly made sure he didn't have to do any hard climbing for leader Almeida.

I sence a bit of Italian envy for the great generation of Belgian riders.
Hi, I did confused remco with spilak for quite a long time, but since his great performance in Liege I have a lot more respect for him and he went up in my estimations, he is a great rider.

Wout as a Belgian Pozzato is more accurate. He underperformed in monuments due to his defensive racing and lack of tactical intelligence, despite being an incredible talent.

Masnada is more than a gregario please , watch the lombardia where he made pogacar worried.

I never said I am Italian and I am not patriotic.

We all do.

Yes, as a helper for Remco.

He's a nice rider and has a few nice results. He's not done anywhere near enough to warrant GC leadership on a team. Sorry. What has he won? Not much.

Well I say it because it's his best result in a GT. He's done nothing close to it before. He's done 20th, 28th, not sure what else. So he's improving, which is great.

What is Remco? One of the biggest talents in the peloton, winner of many, many races. Look, these guys are on the same team. The team knows who the talent is between them, as does anyone with a functioning set of eyes. It's not a debate, I hate to tell ya.
You obviously don't know the career of Masnada ans his story and what obstacles he overcame.

People still pretending Remco hasn't proven yet to have GC-level climbing skills? (@stekelegel @Valv.Piti @memyselfandI)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE-7QAOtEw

6.5W/kg on 30 minute climb. and 6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. Pogacar only reached 6.4W/kg on 27 minute climb and 6.7-6.9W/kg on 15 minute climb. This means Remco is objectively faster than Pogacar. QED

The reason why this topic is so long is because everyone is seeing he should be capable of doing it but he only shown flashes in lower tier single week stages. For now the consistency is lacking which he will need to win a GT.

That said, if we see how Pog/ving are racing like its 2007 or the 90ies, attack after attack, i don't think its Remco cup of tea as a climbing style. Remco seems to have one big attack, but he next attacks are more and more telephoned (as they say in dutch).

Last edited:
The reason why this topic is so long is because everyone is seeing he should be capable of doing it but he only shown flashes in lower tier/single week stages. For now the consistency is lacking which he will need to win a GT.

That said, if we see how Pog/ving are racing like its 2007 or the 90ies, attack after attack, i don't think its Remco cup of tea as a climbing style. Remco seems to have one big attack, but he next attacks are more and more telephoned (as they say in dutch).

I take it you mean in GTs.
LBL and San Sebastián are not lower tier.

I take it you mean in GTs.
LBL and San Sebastián are not lower tier.

You are correct, the lower tier was there to apply on the stage races, not on the single day events. (I removed the '/' to make it more clear though)

Single day events he has nothing to prove any more. He is with the absolute best and probably will be a contender for those that he races.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
This boy is ready to La Vuelta, we will win mark my words.

Although I'm a big fan, I don't think he has shown anything to be considering a winning candidate.

After his Giro fail I've said it and I'll say it again: let him lose time in the first week and go for mountain jersey and stage wins in week 2 & 3 in Vuelta AND Tour de France next year. Then try GC Giro 2025 to see if he actually stands a chance to win a grand tour.

I have always been very skeptical of Remco's chances for the tour and his occasional tantrums didn't endear him to me, but seeing what Vingegaard is doing I have no doubts now that Remco can compete, hell I will be rooting for him to go thermonuclear on next year edition.

Vingegaard is the new standard now. Can Remco beat Vingeegard?

Also, Fausto had some fun with a face filter on Remco after the climb

He already has beat Vingegaard in a pro tour stage race. Mainly through the TT of just 7km

Put an appropriate number of TT kms again in a GT, VIngegaard is no problem

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
He already has beat Vingegaard in a pro tour stage race. Mainly through the TT of just 7km

Put an appropriate number of TT kms again in a GT, VIngegaard is no problem
What we're seeing so far is that, unlike with Pogacar, the Vingegaard of the TDF isn't the same as the one earlier/later in the season. He's also not great at classics or one day races it seems. So beating him in April or May doesn't mean you can beat him in July. As Pogacar painfully discovered.

What we're seeing so far is that, unlike with Pogacar, the Vingegaard of the TDF isn't the same as the one earlier/later in the season. He's also not great at classics or one day races it seems. So beating him in April or May doesn't mean you can beat him in July. As Pogacar painfully discovered.

agreed.

for now there are two GT riders very, very far above the rest. in climbing and particularly in proven 3 week recovery that no other riders come close to.

i heard that jumbo is particularly good/superior at fueling their riders during a stage and GT. i fear that QS knows little of these skills (TdS anyone...?)

remco "looking" pretty thin on Instgram, fwiw.

I think appropriate number of TT is between 70-100 km. I'd love the latter, but it aint happening lads.

Also, Vingegaard is no slouch and even with 200 km ITT with mountains like this Tour, Remco would surely have to climb in the range of Pogacar or a bit worse to stay relevant for the win. Thats not going to happen this year, we all know that - probably never.

Looking at the Vuelta-route, I think it looks really solid for Remco. Wouldn't be surprised at a 15th place, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins.

Strangely enough, Burgos is one of my absolute favorite races. Watched it on my crappy streams ever since 2011 to try to deal with post-TdF. At that time, I was a vivid Igor Antón and Sami Sanchez fan, but remember Landa winning the big one at Lagunas out of nowhere for me at the time. Its a great race, and Im honestly very disappointed that he doesn't race - I think its the best prep for the Vuelta!

Trainers at QS are just very slowly picking the petals off a flower. Going to Burgos. Not going to Burgos. Going to Burgos. Not going to Burgos.
In similar fashion to how they decide his optimal weight.

Or like this:

s-l400.jpg

Remco is a huge talent and this Vuelta route is probably a bit better for him than previous ones but after his climbing in the Tour of Switzerland, I doubt that he is going to challenge for the podium which is totally fine given his age, however I expect him to win one stage, likely the TT.

Strange that "Burgos"yo-yo.

What could be the reason to change the program three times already ? It had been clear for some time that riding Burgos before the Vuelta was a bad choice. Because Evenepoel would then start in good shape, to be able to win. He would go all the way there too. But we also know that Evenepoel can't keep top shape for weeks. He would then weaken during the second half of the Vuelta.

So now let him get some competition rhythm in the Clasica San Sebastian, without being in top shape. Then again at altitude for the tapering.

• Wow
Looking at his latest TT position, it looks rediculous compared to the rest of the peleton, not far away from superman position. (note the
balaclava seems less rediculous on him from this picture than what we saw on some of the tour riders :D)

FXZIk4CXoAAKTOl

He looks sharp, not sure if that implies he weights less compared to a month ago given the width of his arms. (think they are twice that of some other riders(/skeletons))

I have always been very skeptical of Remco's chances for the tour and his occasional tantrums didn't endear him to me, but seeing what Vingegaard is doing I have no doubts now that Remco can compete, hell I will be rooting for him to go thermonuclear on next year edition.
What he did makes you think It's more likely he can compete? How is that possible?

Best case scenario Remco loses 15-20 mins at least over these last 3 weeks.

Looking at his latest TT position, it looks rediculous compared to the rest of the peleton, not far away from superman position. (note the
balaclava seems less rediculous on him from this picture than what we saw on some of the tour riders :D)

FXZIk4CXoAAKTOl

He looks sharp, not sure if that implies he weights less compared to a month ago given the width of his arms. (think they are twice that of some other riders(/skeletons))

He IS clearly flexing, so… having said that he is certainly No emaciated skin and bones Vingo and never will be. Question is whether his body type can still win GTs (Hinault won a few).

On Instagram his face looked more chiseled. Then again, what do we really know…

Reactions: spalco and Riek s

TRENDING THREADS