• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 493 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I don't 'know, I live and ride in the bike-crazy (for the US) bay area of Northern California, but the average person has no idea whatsoever who Remco, Tadej, or Jonas are. Guys you ride with? Sure. But it's just not a relevant sport for the general public. Armstrong became famous for winning the Tour + cancer. Without the cancer story, his visibility would have barely penetrated the US sports landscape.
Perhaps Sagan's situation is a better comparison. If Lance had in fact taken TdF victories as a relatively clean rider I think he'd still be fairly notable. Lemond still is, by the way and his era was pretty low-level on the marketing of cyclists. I knew who Eddy was when he was winning while I was running track but today's "average person" is hard to pin down.

Reactions: Sandisfan
QS has good enough team to defend a leader's jersey in GT. They just need to switch the focus. All the riders need to be on board with the objectives. Might need a couple of good climbers but QS is a good team already. IMHO.
Will Patrick re-purpose an entire team's very successful program for a TdF payoff? That's as much the question as what other rider assistance is needed. I can't answer that question and am not sure Lefevere would in a direct commitment.

Reactions: saunaking
Will Patrick re-purpose an entire team's very successful program for a TdF payoff? That's as much the question as what other rider assistance is needed. I can't answer that question and am not sure Lefevere would in a direct commitment.
Yes. they have been waiting for 45 years.

And to be honest, the Classic riders at the beginning of the year are just a good complement to the Tour de France team. I don't think it will interfere. But the focus in those races (GT's) will have to change that's for sure.

Last edited:
They don't need to repurpose an entire team, they just need like 1 or 2 great climbers, get Alaphilippe in shape and they're good to go.

The only thing that gets sacrificed is the TdF sprint train.
Actually he doesn't need more climbers. Alaphillipe, van wilder and masnada are enough. He just need to be able to follow vingegaard and pogacar, and in the ITT make the differences.
With vingegaard and pogacar it's every man by himself.

This team he won the Vuelta with would be a meme team in the Tour.
The problem was that Serry, who is a real workhorse on flat as well as hilly terrain, was out with Covid. Masnada was not remotely in shape, and Alaphilippe crashed out. That means Vervaeke, Van Wilder etc had to start working much sooner and pick up the slack of Masnada on top of that. Hardly representative of what the team could put on the startlist. It was Van Wilder's first GT after 2 years of barely racing. There was no Cattaneo either, who would definitely be an asset in a team that wants to go for GC. So get Masnada in shape, get Van Wilder to level up, include Cattaneo in the lineup, and you have something to work with. It's not enough to control the race in the TDF for 2 weeks, but in case they can leave that to Jumbo and UAE, definitely doable.

If he is able to drop Pog & Vinge, no need to change the team
If he is able to follow and both attack him repeatedly, he has to let the farther one go. Its like the Carapaz dilemma for Roglic and Nibali in the Giro. He needs a good climber that can keep the gap close.
If he is just dropped by both but is within reach but both work together, he needs a good climber who can keep the gap close.
If he is dropped by minutes, don't bother.
if the parcours is such that the TT is at the last then he can follow wheels initially then the current team might be sufficient like Cadel did in 2011.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The problem was that Serry, who is a real workhorse on flat as well as hilly terrain, was out with Covid. Masnada was not remotely in shape, and Alaphilippe crashed out. That means Vervaeke, Van Wilder etc had to start working much sooner and pick up the slack of Masnada on top of that. Hardly representative of what the team could put on the startlist. It was Van Wilder's first GT after 2 years of barely racing. There was no Cattaneo either, who would definitely be an asset in a team that wants to go for GC. So get Masnada in shape, get Van Wilder to level up, include Cattaneo in the lineup, and you have something to work with. It's not enough to control the race in the TDF for 2 weeks, but in case they can leave that to Jumbo and UAE, definitely doable.
The Vuelta was definitely not the usual GT based on Covid retirements alone. Hopefully that won't happen ever again for the riders' sake.
When Remco commits to the Tour it would be amazing to have 3-4 serious GT contenders and their team go at it for our sake.

Surely QS will take a sprinter to the Tour. If anything happens to Remco, what have they got left? The odd chance of a stage win from a breakaway? If they're serious about the Tour, they can't just rely on Remco to deliver, must have a backup to keep the sponsors happy?
I really don't think they'll do the Tour with Remco next year. Winning the WC doesn't change the situation, it has nothing to do with a GT. Since Lefevere already said after winning the Vuelta that he expects to keep following the plan and go for the Giro, I don't know why this would change. And honestly, tactically I don't think they have the team for it yet, so if I was Quickstep I would go for the Giro and WC TT.

I really don't think they'll do the Tour with Remco next year. Winning the WC doesn't change the situation, it has nothing to do with a GT. Since Lefevere already said after winning the Vuelta that he expects to keep following the plan and go for the Giro, I don't know why this would change. And honestly, tactically I don't think they have the team for it yet, so if I was Quickstep I would go for the Giro and WC TT.
Yeah it definitely seems like they're thinking about the Giro. Puts much less strain on the team, much higher chances to win. Etc etc.

While Lefevere and Remco say it isn't about the money, the contract would be structured in that way.
Low base salary from team but still significant.
Bonuses from sponsors if major wins- may add to significant %
Personal Sponsorship, Image rights - Allow Remco to gain significantly from sponsors, ads not in conflict with team sponsors. This will boost his income 2-5 times of base salary. This freedom means he does not need or infact will find it restrictive to move to a team like Ineos, Jumbo. He is already a mega star in Belgium unlike other cycling stars he will have a considerable income from other sponsorships.
So pay less, but freedom to sell image rights/ads in whatever way he wants.

i think the giro makes most sense given his present team make-up.

also, do not go back to the vuelta, focus on Lombardia.

TDF in 2024. He will still be only 24. and pressure on Lefevere to come up with the needed elements in terms of support.

imagine, should he be able to hit his targets as he did this year, a 23 year old with Vuelta, Giro, LBL, Lombardia and Worlds wins already...

Reactions: Fuente De
It's the most sensible thing, but I can't see QS not taking the current world champion and Vuelta winner to the Tour.
He can even go the Tour with stage-hunting as a whole and the Giro is too restrictive to his Spring schedule.

i do not see any benefit whatsoever in doing that.

Remco is on the point of achieving a sense of invulnerability that is so important to champions. it affects their opponents who start racing for 2nd place earlier than they would. he is also riding with extreme confidence. this is important.

Pog had that at the start of this season. he no longer does and it will be interesting to see how he tries to return that to that narrative.

when the greats lose or show weakness, others smell blood in the water and it really changes the dynamic.

there is a real benefit to Remco going to the giro. i agree he has a better chance of winning that. if he hits other goals throughout next season, he continues the narrative that began in the second half of 2022 and he would enter 2024 TDF (with a stronger team) in a much stronger position.

Going to the TDF, worn out from the Giro, just to hunt stages and be dropped badly by Vingo and Pog would do him absolutely zero good.

i think the giro makes most sense given his present team make-up.

also, do not go back to the vuelta, focus on Lombardia.

TDF in 2024. He will still be only 24. and pressure on Lefevere to come up with the needed elements in terms of support.

imagine, should he be able to hit his targets as he did this year, a 23 year old with Vuelta, Giro, LBL, Lombardia and Worlds wins already...
I dunno, if Remco's a really good GC rider, the vuelta would make more sense. crazy as it sounds it would be more likely to repeat the vuelta than take Lombardia

Reactions: Big Doopie
i do not see any benefit whatsoever in doing that.

Remco is on the point of achieving a sense of invulnerability that is so important to champions. it affects their opponents who start racing for 2nd place earlier than they would. he is also riding with extreme confidence. this is important.

Pog had that at the start of this season. he no longer does and it will be interesting to see how he tries to return that to that narrative.

when the greats lose or show weakness, others smell blood in the water and it really changes the dynamic.

there is a real benefit to Remco going to the giro. i agree he has a better chance of winning that. if he hits other goals throughout next season, he continues the narrative that began in the second half of 2022 and he would enter 2024 TDF (with a stronger team) in a much stronger position.

Going to the TDF, worn out from the Giro, just to hunt stages and be dropped badly by Vingo and Pog would do him absolutely zero good.
As great as Remoc looks, i don't think he has any "sense of invulnerability". If he goes to the Giro I think there are at least half a dozen guys that believe they can drop him on tough multiple mountain days.
And i'm not even counting Almedia ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie
Who's contract is available at the end of 2023 that would help the team in the mountains? They have enough riders for the flat and hilly profiles.
The best rider I can find is Daniel Martinez. And MAL, but I seriously doubt that he will be an option. Really can't see a unstable flyweighter like MAL as a good domestique. Also Tobias Foss is out of contract after next season. Perhaps the best option after Martinez if he proves next season that his TT gold wasn't a fluke and performs at a higher levels also in Grand Tours.

Unless youngsters like Van Wilder, Vansevenant, etc., doesn't develop next year, they should/need really a top domestique for Remco.

The best rider I can find is Daniel Martinez. And MAL, but I seriously doubt that he will be an option. Really can't see a unstable flyweighter like MAL as a good domestique. Also Tobias Foss is out of contract after next season. Perhaps the best option after Martinez if he proves next season that his TT gold wasn't a fluke and performs at a higher levels also in Grand Tours.

Unless youngsters like Van Wilder, Vansevenant, etc., doesn't develop next year, they should/need really a top domestique for Remco.
MAL domestiques for MAL.

• Love

TRENDING THREADS