• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 494 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
i think the giro makes most sense given his present team make-up.

also, do not go back to the vuelta, focus on Lombardia.

TDF in 2024. He will still be only 24. and pressure on Lefevere to come up with the needed elements in terms of support.

imagine, should he be able to hit his targets as he did this year, a 23 year old with Vuelta, Giro, LBL, Lombardia and Worlds wins already...
If he doesn't race Le Tour then the Giro I guess, but then also I would love to see him race La Vuelta as well. He does real good in Spain; it seems to suit him. Lombardia can wait ..no? All in all I would still hope he races in Le Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If there is one thing I could take away from the Vuelta it is not that Remco can win GTs it's that he's defintiely no bueno on high altitude.
Can't tell if you're serious or not. You've been trolling with made up BS in the past (like Evenepoel not gaining time uphill in Poland, even after i showed you the intermediate times before and after the climbs, you kept repeating that sht), but on the other hand i would think you are sensible enough to know losing mere seconds to Roglic and Mas on the day he was supped to lose minutes, while still recovering from his crash and doing most of the work the entire climb, was pretty damn good. So, i really can't tell, but i'm afraid you're being serious.

Losing mere seconds to Roglic and Mas on the day he was supped to lose minutes, while still recovering from his crash and doing most of the work the entire climb, was pretty damn good. So, i really can't tell, but i'm afraid you're being serious.
I'm pretty sure he would've at least stayed with Mas without his fall and if he drafted instead of taking the lead. He trained so much on all of this that I'm sure he's also great at altitude.

Reactions: red_flanders
Can't tell if you're serious or not. You've been trolling with made up BS in the past (like Evenepoel not gaining time uphill in Poland, even after i showed you the intermediate times before and after the climbs, you kept repeating that sht), but on the other hand i would think you are sensible enough to know losing mere seconds to Roglic and Mas on the day he was supped to lose minutes, while still recovering from his crash and doing most of the work the entire climb, was pretty damn good. So, i really can't tell, but i'm afraid you're being serious.

We all know that Remco can't climb but just bows his head and wins by aero advantage. Once others start doing the same he will become a grupetto guy.

• Haha
Reactions: JosefK and Berniece
i think the giro makes most sense given his present team make-up.

also, do not go back to the vuelta, focus on Lombardia.

TDF in 2024. He will still be only 24. and pressure on Lefevere to come up with the needed elements in terms of support.

imagine, should he be able to hit his targets as he did this year, a 23 year old with Vuelta, Giro, LBL, Lombardia and Worlds wins already...

He'll be only 24, yes - but ain't no telling how Ayuso has evolved by then. Best to get at many tries at a TDF win as (early as) possible.

The TDF GC freaks are beatable, if Evenepoel keeps this up. 2023 could actually end up being his best year. Why waste it on another far less prestigious GT - when QS has a perfectly fine (if not quite outstanding) team to support him.

Look at 2011 Evans, 2020 Pog. No climbing support to speak of. Evans did have a good team for the flats and hilly stages, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JosefK and KZD
He'll be only 24, yes - but ain't no telling how Ayuso has evolved by then. Best to get at many tries at a TDF win as (early as) possible.

The TDF GC freaks are beatable, if Evenepoel keeps this up. 2023 could actually end up being his best year. Why waste it on another far less prestigious GT - when QS has a perfectly fine (if not quite outstanding) team to support him.

Look at 2011 Evans, 2020 Pog. No climbing support to speak of. Evans did have a good team for the flats and hilly stages, though.

Yes, its already Remco's fifth season as a professional, even if he basically lost a season from August 2020 until May 2021, the time to try the Tour has come unless the Giro has just a much better route than the Tour (on that circumstance Giro for GC and Tour for stages could be an option too).

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)

I agree that if the goal is to win the Tour it makes no sense to go to the Giro next year.

They're acting as if the downside of not winning the Tour would be bigger than the upside of winning it, or as if they can just PR spin a Giro win as equally big.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Better not wait too long for the Tour (Remco).

Everyone says, had Roglic gone to the Tour 2019, he would have won.

Remco is good now. He can win the Tour now. No one knows when he‘ll be on the decline. 2025 is too late maybe.

UAE sent Ayuso to the Vuelta aged 19, and told him to finish - even with a Covid positive body. He was third. Now UAE will send him to the Tour.

Remco should also go to next year‘s TdF. Don‘t forget what happened to Pogacar: after 2020 and 2021, he started in 2022 to win a third Tour. After these three weeks of the TdF 2022, suddenly all world realized that Pog is already on the decline - much earlier than expected.

TRENDING THREADS