• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 539 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
As PL has stated, an in form Remco can do well in ANY race.

well? Sure. But why prioritize the worst least significant monument, a race that he has little chance to win over all the races he can excel at?

he will be 23. So many other priorities. And I would rather see him win 5 LBLs and 5 Lombardias before he even waste one of his peaks on effin’ MSR.

well? Sure. But why prioritize the worst least significant monument, a race that he has little chance to win over all the races he can excel at?

he will be 23. So many other priorities. And I would rather see him win 5 LBLs and 5 Lombardias before he even waste one of his peaks on effin’ MSR.

i don’t think anybody suggested specifically aiming to peak for MSR. He can go well even at the very start of his Ardennes/Giro form curve.

i don’t think anybody suggested specifically aiming to peak for MSR. He can go well even at the very start of his Ardennes/Giro form curve.
Barely anyone really peaks for MSR.

I think he can win de Ronde, he's won Flandrien 1.1 races a lot.

Roubaix is probably more much difficult because being so light is actually a disadvantage there even if it's the purest rouleurs race there is. Also doesn't he hate cobbles anyway?

Barely anyone really peaks for MSR.

I think he can win de Ronde, he's won Flandrien 1.1 races a lot.

Roubaix is probably more much difficult because being so light is actually a disadvantage there even if it's the purest rouleurs race there is. Also doesn't he hate cobbles anyway?
Yeah he hates cobbles, he bailed out of the junior Roubaix race after 2 flats and having to walk for a few miles iirc. He was in the lead at the time of the mechanicals. Not sure if solo or in a lead group.

I think "fat Remco" (early 2022) could be heavy enough (reported over 66kg back then), but the cobble technique is probably a bigger issue.

Because it is a monument to be respected. He doesn't have to win it, but he should give it a go. It's part of the history of the sport, la Primavera, like the Ronde and PR, which, at some point, he should also ride to win. That's what a champion and rider of his calibre should do.

In some interviews over the past few days, he shed some light on his schedule for 2023.

His big goals are:

• Giro
  • Clasica San Sebastian
  • WC TT
  • Lombardia

The only races that are already planned for sure in the first part of the season are San Juan, Liège and the Giro. He's unsure what his form will be like for Liège because at that time the focus will be on starting the Giro with the best form possible.

Before Liège and the Giro the plan is to race 4 or 5 smaller stage races and a lot of training/altitude camps. The idea right now is to race the UAE Tour but that is not 100% sure. Algarve is another option because of the TT.

In some interviews over the past few days, he shed some light on his schedule for 2023.

His big goals are:

• Giro
  • Clasica San Sebastian
  • WC TT
  • Lombardia
The only races that are already planned for sure in the first part of the season are San Juan, Liège and the Giro. He's unsure what his form will be like for Liège because at that time the focus will be on starting the Giro with the best form possible.

Before Liège and the Giro the plan is to race 4 or 5 smaller stage races and a lot of training/altitude camps. The idea right now is to race the UAE Tour but that is not 100% sure. Algarve is another option because of the TT.

this is exactly what I imagined. Got some flak on here when I suggested LBL will be difficult because of altitude camp scheduling for optimal giro shape would make peak at LBL unlikely.

Belgian, European and World road races should be secondary goals along the way as long as the routes are challenging enough.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS