• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 542 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Pretty sure he's only allowed to pick guys from Quickstep, so Van Aert, Hermans, Stuyven, Van Hooydonck and Dewulf would probably decline. That leaves Serry and Lampaert. Even if he would pick them, he still has 3 open slots. But i'd think he'd rather pay his gratitude to the guys who helped him in the Vuelta than the Worlds anyway.

As i said before, i think he'll take Van Wilder, Serry and Vervaeke. Then Hirt (unless that's one of the 2 guys management pushes) and Masnada. Personally i'd take Cattaneo over Vervaeke, but given Vervaeke's been a loyal dom all year, i think he'll pick him.

I think Lampaert is definitely in the mix. I think I read somewhere a while back (after the Worlds) that Remco would love to have Lampaert as his 'bodyguard' in the Giro.

I agree about Van Wilder, Serry, Vervaeke and Masnada. He also seems to have a great relationship with each of them. Hirt was specifically added to the team to help Remco so he'll be one of the management picks if Remco doesn't pick him himself. Cattaneo would be a great final addition to the squad.

I think Lampaert is definitely in the mix. I think I read somewhere a while back (after the Worlds) that Remco would love to have Lampaert as his 'bodyguard' in the Giro.

I agree about Van Wilder, Serry, Vervaeke and Masnada. He also seems to have a great relationship with each of them. Hirt was specifically added to the team to help Remco so he'll be one of the management picks if Remco doesn't pick him himself. Cattaneo would be a great final addition to the squad.

Can he just pick whomever he likes?

So if he, say, picks Alaphilippe and Asgreen, then they would just have to not peak for the classics but do donkey duty for Remco in the Giro, or how does this work exactly?

Last edited:

So if he, say, picks Alaphilippe and Asgreen, then they would just have to not peak for the classics but do donkey jersey for Remco in the Giro, or how does this work exactly?

I don't know. In the interview I mentioned (it was a while back and I can't seem to find it anymore) he did realize that it would hamper Lampaerts classics campaign and that he doesn't know if Lampaert would agree. He just said he'd love to have him in the team. I really don't think the team is going to send anyone to the Giro that doesn't want to be there just because Remco picks them but I could see them trying to persuade Lampaert (or at least more so than Alaphilippe or Asgreen).

I don't know. In the interview I mentioned (it was a while back and I can't seem to find it anymore) he did realize that it would hamper Lampaerts classics campaign and that he doesn't know if Lampaert would agree. He just said he'd love to have him in the team. I really don't think the team is going to send anyone to the Giro that doesn't want to be there just because Remco picks them but I could see them trying to persuade Lampaert (or at least more so than Alaphilippe or Asgreen).

Imagine if he picked Asgreen, Sénéchal, Lampaert, Ballerini, Steimle, Van Lerberghe and Declercq.

"Yep, altitude camp in March and April for you lot!"

Imagine if he picked Asgreen, Sénéchal, Lampaert, Ballerini, Steimle, Van Lerberghe and Declercq.

"Yep, altitude camp in March and April for you lot!"
It's such a stupid idea to give a 22/23yo rider this amount of power to the point that it will decide other rider's seasons and programs and potentially be detrimental to other team objectives.

You are right, maybe Prince Remco wants a strong Rouleur in the Giro so someone like Asgreen or Lerberghe has to give up the classics.

There are riders like Cattaneo, Cerny, Knox who are in a critical contract year.

Does a 22yo who has only been in the sport for 5 years understand the team dynamics of trying to win a grand tour properly?

It's such a stupid idea to give a 22/23yo rider this amount of power to the point that it will decide other rider's seasons and programs and potentially be detrimental to other team objectives.

You are right, maybe Prince Remco wants a strong Rouleur in the Giro so someone like Asgreen or Lerberghe has to give up the classics.

There are riders like Cattaneo, Cerny, Knox who are in a critical contract year.

Does a 22yo who has only been in the sport for 5 years understand the team dynamics of trying to win a grand tour properly?

It's basically the same as Lefevere was willing to give Contador in 2009 when there was a chance of Astana imploding. Contador was told he could bring 5 doms with him to the TDF

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Does that mean he was better at being Belgian than anyone else? What is the unit of measurement of Belgianness? How many points do I get for eating chips?
Depends if it's Crocky or Lays.

So if he, say, picks Alaphilippe and Asgreen, then they would just have to not peak for the classics but do donkey duty for Remco in the Giro, or how does this work exactly?
I'm quite sure he won't have a decisive vote on the schedule of other team leaders, lol. It's probably restricted to picking domestiques and politely asking guys with an elevated status within the team whether they want to be part of the squad.

But i think they could put together a team that could match and raise Jumbo's B-team (Giro) squad, even without trolling Alaphilippe or Asgreen into the Giro.

Reactions: tobydawq
Bench racing (As we called it in the motorsport I was involved in ) is an amusing form of entertainment; However when you start speculating on WHY people are doing things without any in-depth knowledge of the situation, other than the speculation of journalists..................

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Remco does eventually pick some riders for The Giro, I'm sure the names would be handed over to management and together they would discuss the pros and cons of such decisions. That's why it's called "management". Remco is the most exciting rider in the cycling world and by giving him some choices to make will give him even more confidence; not that he needs much more. Also, if you think this will spike the interest and drama for this GT you are correct....just wait for Le Tour 2024. Go Remco Go!!

Bench racing (As we called it in the motorsport I was involved in ) is an amusing form of entertainment; However when you start speculating on WHY people are doing things without any in-depth knowledge of the situation, other than the speculation of journalists..................
My favorite argument is the type that defeats any discussion any time I have no other argument and I disagree with a position

We have heard that Remco didnt like the chef at the Vuelta, so he will be holding an audition to determine who gets to go. Four new chefs must complete a few challenges before a decision will be made.

One of the mechanics must also be able to shave off 0,7 seconds of his best time to change a tire or he does not get to go. He is in training camp at the moment to achieve this.

Also one of the soigneurs dropped a bottle during the Vuelta and Remco sent him glue as a Christmas present. The soigneur in question has not been able to sleep since, afraid that he will be dropped from the team.

Thats been the latest news, back to the regular program in a short bit.

according to VN, no TA or Itzulia for Remco this year. Doing Catalunya, however

also he repeats that he will not be at his best or prepped specifically for LBL because of its proximity to Giro just as I had mentioned previously to some posters disagreement…
:rolleyes:
I love his focus on San Sebastián. What a fabulous race with many top winners. Along with Strade, my favorite of the non-monuments (and I even prefer them to one of those as well).

also he repeats that he will not be at his best or prepped specifically for LBL because of its proximity to Giro just as I had mentioned previously to some posters disagreement…
:rolleyes:
I love his focus on San Sebastián. What a fabulous race with many top winners. Along with Strade, my favorite of the non-monuments (and I even prefer them to one of those as well).
Seems strange, though, no Tirreno or Romandie or Tour of the Alpes in a Giro year. Nibali, for example, when he won his first Giro in 2013, perhaps his best career form along with Tour 2014, he won Tirreno over Froome and Contador iirc earlier that year. And then Nibali went on to win the Giro del Trentino, now Tour of the Alpes, as final Giro prep.

Although if Remco has Liege in mind before the Giro, then that explains why no Romandie or TotA, to be substituted with altitude camps I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
Seems strange, though, no Tirreno or Romandie or Tour of the Alpes in a Giro year. Nibali, for example, when he won his first Giro in 2013, perhaps his best career form along with Tour 2014, he won Tirreno over Froome and Contador iirc earlier that year. And then Nibali went on to win the Giro del Trentino, now Tour of the Alpes, as final Giro prep.

Although if Remco has Liege in mind before the Giro, then that explains why no Romandie or TotA, to be substituted with altitude camps I'm sure.

I think it all has to do with replicating the Vuelta prep that worked so well. Altitude camp. Couple of race days. Second altitude camp. Then GT. He will be working on extended efforts on long climbs at altitude.

also, yes, romandie traditionally had been the stepping stone to the giro, but hasn’t been for a while. Again I think it is about scheduling the most productive altitude camps for a GT prep.

Lo pinto tough mtf was added to Catalunya. Three mountain stages. May have something to do with choosing it over TA…

Last edited:
I think it has to do with replicating the Vuelta prep that worked so well. Altitude camp. Couple of race days. Second altitude camp. Then GT. He will be working on extended efforts on long climbs at altitude.

also romandie traditionally had been the stepping stone to the giro, but hasn’t been for a while. Again I think it is about scheduling the most productive altitude camps for a GT prep.

Lo pinto tough mtf was added to Catalunya. Three mountain stages. May have something to do with choosing it over TA…

I wonder if TA will be added back, since that was the information initially leaked

Reactions: Big Doopie
It seems Remco has already chosen his Giro team

Fldth48WQAAn-lD

TRENDING THREADS