• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 544 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Masnada is probably there as co-leader.
Maybe Evenepole and Masnada will be like Carapaz and Landa in 2019 Giro, or Frrome and Landa on the 2017 tour.

Even if Fausto is riding just as a gregario he can still get a good result. Just look at 2020 Giro where he was (sadly) riding as pure gregario for Joao Almida and still accidentally got a top 10 due to his ability.

Maybe Evenepole and Masnada will be like Carapaz and Landa in 2019 Giro, or Frrome and Landa on the 2017 tour.

Even if Fausto is riding just as a gregario he can still get a good result. Just look at 2020 Giro where he was (sadly) riding as pure gregario for Joao Almida and still accidentally got a top 10 due to his ability.

Exactly, let the road decide who gets full leadership.

The first four names of the Giro team of Remco have been "released".

Ballerini, Vervaeke, Cattaneo and Masnada

Those are different than the name Remco mentioned in this interview:

"First this: there is a report circulating that for three-fourths I may make the selection myself. That's not correct. What I meant: for three fourths I have my say in that selection. Small difference. But in any case I have my regular pawns that I would like to have and that will normally be there: Vervaeke, Van Wilder and Serry. I would have loved to have Julian Alaphilippe in the team, but since he is riding the Flemish classics, it will be hard to combine. And furthermore, we will need someone for the flat stages, someone who can set his body when needed. Genre: Lampaert, Asgreen or Ballerini. In short: three to four names are fixed, but certainly not everything yet."

-San Juan in January
-February Training camp in Teide
-UAE Tour
-Tirreno Adriatico
-1 month between 12th March and 12th April to rest and do another training camp at Sierra Nevada
-Brabantse Pijl, Amstel, Fleche and LBL, then 10 days to Giro to freshen up.

One example of how it could work. Maybe not exactly optimal but it's ambitious and I like that. He can also do Sanremo with this program. And he has better chance to repeat at Liege than to win Giro so make sense to be top form for that. Hopefully Masnada get opportunities of his own in the spring.
-San Juan in January
-February Training camp in Teide
-UAE Tour
-Tirreno Adriatico
-1 month between 12th March and 12th April to rest and do another training camp at Sierra Nevada
-Brabantse Pijl, Amstel, Fleche and LBL, then 10 days to Giro to freshen up.

One example of how it could work. Maybe not exactly optimal but it's ambitious and I like that. He can also do Sanremo with this program. And he has better chance to repeat at Liege than to win Giro so make sense to be top form for that. Hopefully Masnada get opportunities of his own in the spring.
Si, a parte le classiche, in theory he will need high altitude to deal with the third week of the Giro. I mean what is Roglic's approach? Thomas's? Vlasov's? That is the question. I think, he should sacrifice the Ardennes (I know he is Belgian), but the bigger goal Is Italy..

Those are different than the name Remco mentioned in this interview:

"First this: there is a report circulating that for three-fourths I may make the selection myself. That's not correct. What I meant: for three fourths I have my say in that selection. Small difference. But in any case I have my regular pawns that I would like to have and that will normally be there: Vervaeke, Van Wilder and Serry. I would have loved to have Julian Alaphilippe in the team, but since he is riding the Flemish classics, it will be hard to combine. And furthermore, we will need someone for the flat stages, someone who can set his body when needed. Genre: Lampaert, Asgreen or Ballerini. In short: three to four names are fixed, but certainly not everything yet."
I got mine from HLN

Si, a parte le classiche, in theory he will need high altitude to deal with the third week of the Giro. I mean what is Roglic's approach? Thomas's? Vlasov's? That is the question. I think, he should sacrifice the Ardennes (I know he is Belgian), but the bigger goal Is Italy..

Shouldnt be a problem for the best rider in the world to go for both. He should only continue to get even better. Thats what I been hearing.

Reactions: Extinction
Shouldnt be a problem for the best rider in the world to go for both. He should only continue to get even better. Thats what I been hearing.
I understand that, however, in today's cycling, even the "best in the world" can't afford to arrive at a GT appointment anything less than optimally prepared. He needs staying Power in the third week, which is no joke. Against Roglic poi...

Reactions: Salvarani
I understand that, however, in today's cycling, even the "best in the world" can't afford to arrive at a GT appointment anything less than optimally prepared. He needs staying Power in the third week, which is no joke. Against Roglic poi...

Roglic is getting old. He is 33.

Remco should be able to beat him and anyone else easily, no problem. Especially when he should evolve even more this season.

2022 must have been a miserable year for you.

It was a great year, actually, if I exclude everything else going on in the world. Why would you think it was miserable? That is a weird thing to just blurt out to someone and had nothing to do with the discussion.

And when it comes to cycling there were some great races and deserving winners. I have not said anything else. Tell me where, if I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
He won San Sebastian before the Vuelta, so winning L-B-L again before the Giro shouldnt be a problem for this rider.
That depends on his condition coming down from altitude, although, as noted, he won San Sebastian this way. After Liege his got basically 2 weeks before la grande partenza of the Giro and he plans to do one more spell at altitude in between. Since the Giro starts with a TT he'll want to already be in top shape, which he will need to hold for 3 weeks. Now to win Liege a second time he will need to be at or near his best, but how can he then hold such form for the next 5 weeks? It's unlikely that he would have a mini peak for Liege and then go down slightly, to then peak again for la grande partenza on 6 May. Rather it's more logical that he is still building form at Liege to peak for the start of the Giro. But in this case would his Liege shape be sufficient to win? Whatever the case, I think the Liege-Giro combo will be trickier for him than San Sebastian-Vuelta.

That depends on his condition coming down from altitude, although, as noted, he won San Sebastian this way. After Liege his got basically 2 weeks before la grande partenza of the Giro and he plans to do one more spell at altitude in between. Since the Giro starts with a TT he'll want to already be in top shape, which he will need to hold for 3 weeks. Now to win Liege a second time he will need to be at or near his best, but how can he then hold such form for the next 5 weeks? It's unlikely that he would have a mini peak for Liege and then go down slightly, to then peak again for la grande partenza on 6 May. Rather it's more logical that he is still building form at Liege to peak for the start of the Giro. But in this case would his Liege shape be sufficient to win? Whatever the case, I think the Liege-Giro combo will be trickier for him than San Sebastian-Vuelta.

Yes, agreed that it could be a bit trickier since he should be a little undercooked but at the level he has been riding he should still have a pretty good chance to win it again. Even at 90-95% it should be hard for most riders to match him, especially since he should naturally progress even further.

At the same time, it could be good to ride a hard race here? To be in peak form when the Giro start, as you speak of. A short camp to fine tune in between.

I would find it strange, if he does not start in the WC jersey on home soil after winning L-B-L last year.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed that it could be a bit trickier since he should be a little undercooked but at the level he has been riding he should still have a pretty good chance to win it again. Even at 90-95% it should be hard for most riders to match him, especially since he should naturally progress even further.

At the same time, it could be good to ride a hard race here? To be in peak form when the Giro start, as you speak of. A short camp to fine tune in between.

I would find it strange, if he does not start in the WC jersey on home soil after winning L-B-L last year.
I'd agree with you at 90-95 percent with most riders, but I don't think so against a top Pogacar. For if Pogacar is firing on all cylinders at Liege, than a sub-top form Remco would be pressed to beat him, and rightly so, because Tadej is another phenom. Now if he is at 98 percent for Liege and plans to gain that last 2 percent for la grande partenza the scenario becomes interesting. But again it will be tricky.

I'd agree with you at 90-95 percent with most riders, but I don't think so against a top Pogacar. For if Pogacar is firing on all cylinders at Liege, than a sub-top form Remco would be pressed to beat him, and rightly so, because Tadej is another phenom. Now if he is at 98 percent for Liege and plans to gain that last 2 percent for la grande partenza the scenario becomes interesting. But again it will be tricky.

Still, if he lines up he will have the ambition and condition to be able to win. L-B-L and Giro should be his biggest targets for the spring. He should be the main favorite for both.