• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 559 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Disagree -- Pog won the Tour in his second GT, Vingegaard was second after being a GT dom. I still maintain that Remco's 2022 season was one of the most remarkable in recent memory and he showed, especially in the WC, that he is giving away nothing to the world's best. His time is now.
This has nothing to do with how remarkable Remco's season was, for the Tour is the biggest test in cycling, which he has not yet done. And then Pog winning the Tour after third in the Vuelta, doesn't mean his yellow in Paris was anything less exceptional, because the Tour is simply on another level. Can't see how you can disagree with these things. I don't mean to play down what Remco has done, but realism would suggest caution for what he can achieve in his first Gran Bouclé.

Reactions: Sandisfan
To the first bolded, precisely because it's those two, prodigous talents to be sure, who came good so young, we're talking about exceptions. And in theory they should be hitting their stride over the next several seasons. This means they will be even stronger than what allowed them to reach the top of the Tour so precosciously. Pog's first Tour victory was surprising, only because we didn't yet know him to be capable of such things so soon. Vingo's win was no less sensational, because he actually toppled Pog, even though he was a strong runner up the previous year. Thus not only will Remco be going into the race for the first time, but he will be facing two formitable foes, the likes of which the sport, as himself, has not scene in a several decades. Lemond in 84 was only third to Fignon and Hinault in his first Tour, over 10 minutes back from the maillot jaune. Sure, those were vastly different times, and Greg was not the team leader, but arguably as far as the Tour is concerned, Hinault and Fignon were to him, what Pog and Vingo will be to Evenepoel in his first Grand Bouclé. Experience I think in this case will thus matter. It's only a question of how much vs. how good Remco will be.

To the second bolded, I think you must also consider the teams. Pog and especially Vingo have proven squads, established and consolidated for protecting and setting up their leaders for overall Tour victory. This is not the case with QS, however. True, Lefebvre's team has another year to prepare, but it is working on a great transition from a classics powerhouse to a GT pilot. No matter what I don't think one year will be sufficient to equal, let alone rival, Jumbo-Visma in this regard or even Team UAE. So these factors, the quality of his rivals and the strength of their teams, will I think contribute to determining a harsh debut for the Belgian phenom. Although, again, how strong Remco will be also will doubtless play a significant role.

Remco is just as much of a generational talent as the other 2 and immediately showed his potential at an early age when he entered the sport. That said I still haven’t seen enough climbing prowess to be on par with those 2 so fair enough.

UAE a good team in 2020? Lol. And 2021-2022? Kind of. Quickstep is exceptionally bad for GCs currently so I’ll give you that.

I agree about Pogacar being a prodigious talent who was very good at an early age but Vingegaard? Didn't really show anything before he was, what, 24 or 25? That's not old or anything but compared to Pogacar or Evenepoel he didn't really show much at an early age that made you think "that is a generational talent who is going to win everything". His development kinda reminds me of Froome.

he should not. Rog would have to be totally out of form.

More of an example if he can conserve energy after the first TT and have a stress free win, then the tour should be in play
I really can't see any scenario where Evenepoel coasts to a GT win at this point. The Giro is going to be hard. He's not doing the Tour unless he crashes out before or during the Giro.

Last edited:
Remco is just as much of a generational talent as the other 2 and immediately showed his potential at an early age when he entered the sport. That said I still haven’t seen enough climbing prowess to be on par with those 2 so fair enough.

UAE a good team in 2020? Lol. And 2021-2022? Kind of. Quickstep is exceptionally bad for GCs currently so I’ll give you that.
No, UAE was not very good in 2020, which only shows how good Tadej actually was.

I agree about Pogacar being a prodigious talent who was very good at an early age but Vingegaard? Didn't really show anything before he was, what, 24 or 25? That's not old or anything but compared to Pogacar or Evenepoel he didn't really show much at an early age that made you think "that is a generational talent who is going to win everything". His development kinda reminds me of Froome.
I agree, Vingegaard still has to confirm by winning TDF another time, and preferably also win other races.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Was just surveing TA and PN routes. I'd have thought the Italian stage race, given he's going to the Giro in May, would have been on his program. Although I really like the PN parcours more, which has better mountains and what appears a kind of Liege stage. I'd only have preferred an ITT over a TTT, but I guess you can't have it all. However, especially now that Pogacar isn't doing UAE, going to the Middle East seems like a waste of time. By contrast doing TA would be better preparation for the Giro, whereas a PN ride could be nice for Liege. At any rate, either race would be a more prestigious addition to his palmarès (naturally if he were able to win), particularly if other GT Bigs like Vingegaard were present. I get they want to keep the race program lighter, focusing on altitude camps to get him ready for his major goals. However, I can't see how substituting TA or PN for UAE Tour would change the scenario much.

In hindsight, I'd have scratched San Juan. What did it serve other than getting smoked on Alto de Colorado? There wasn't even a TT to measure himself against Ganna, who will be the main TT rival at the Giro, unlike Tirreno, which initiates with the traditional Tuscan coastal drag race. I'd also only have done UAE Tour with the effective presence of Pogacar, but you can't predict last minute pulling outs, as a warm-up for either TA or PN. Last year Tadej did UAE Tour then Strade Bianche, which he dominated, then Tirreno, which he also crushed, and then we saw how he went in Flanders. Unfortunately he was not able to take the start at Liege, but presumably he would have also been very competitive there too, had he participated.

So let me get this straight. Now Evenepoel does a gimped UAE Tour, misses all the fun at TA or PN, to then participate next at Liege before the Giro, with a couple of altitude camps in between? Is that correct? Can I say I don't like it? Evidently they know what they are doing, but could they not have sent him with some doms some place warm in the mountains in late Jan. to mid-Feb. before UAE-Tirreno (or PN), then back to altitude in early April, during the cobbled classics, to come down for Liege and afterwords the final mini-altitudine camp before taking the start of the Corsa Rosa as planned? Does this not seem a wholly more attractive schedule, better in the preparation periods both competition wise and for the racing parcours/environments? My two cents.

Last edited:
Was just surveing TA and PN routes. I'd have thought the Italian stage race, given he's going to the Giro in May, would have been on his program. Although I really like the PN parcours more, which has better mountains and what appears a kind of Liege stage. I'd only have preferred an ITT over a TTT, but I guess you can't have it all. However, especially now that Pogacar isn't doing UAE, going to the Middle East seems like a waste of time. By contrast doing TA would be better preparation for the Giro, whereas a PN ride could be nice for Liege. At any rate, either race would be a more prestigious addition to his palmarès (naturally if he were able to win), particularly if other GT Bigs like Vingegaard were present. I get they want to keep the race program lighter, focusing on altitude camps to get him ready for his major goals. However, I can't see how substituting TA or PN for UAE Tour would change the scenario much.

In hindsight, I'd have scratched San Juan. What did it serve other than getting smoked on Alto de Colorado? There wasn't even a TT to measure himself against Ganna, who will be the main TT rival at the Giro, unlike Tirreno, which initiates with the traditional Tuscan coastal drag race. I'd also only have done UAE Tour with the effective presence of Pogacar, but you can't predict last minute pulling outs, as a warm-up for either TA or PN. Last year Tadej did UAE Tour then Strade Bianche, which he dominated, then Tirreno, which he also crushed, and then we saw how he went in Flanders. Unfortunately he was not able to take the start at Liege, but presumably he would have also been very competitive there too, had he participated.

So now Evenepoel does a gimped UAE Tour, misses all the fun at TA or PN, to then participate next at Liege before the Giro, with a couple of altitude camps in between? Is that correct? Evidently they know what they are doing, but could they not have sent him with some doms someplace warm in the mountains in late Jan. to mid-Feb. before UAE-Tirreno (or PN), then back to altitude in early April, during the cobbled classics, to come down for Liege and afterwords the final mini-altitudine camp before taking the start of the Corsa Rosa as planned? Does this not seem a wholly more attractive schedule, better in the preparation periods both competition wise and for the racing parcours/environments? My two cents.

Catalunya or PN or TA, it all doesn't make any diference. Even moreso given Catalunya being more hillier than the previous dull editions.

I'm with you on San Juan. The transfer alone is 4 days without quality training. Valencia would have been a better option. But i guess Lefevere had an agreement with SJ.

Catalunya or PN or TA, it all doesn't make any diference. Even moreso given Catalunya being more hillier than the previous dull editions.

I'm with you on San Juan. The transfer alone is 4 days without quality training. Valencia would have been a better option. But i guess Lefevere had an agreement with SJ.
I agree, although arguably TA is the "perfect fit" for the Giro, as it's on Italian roads and they can take getting used to. Nibali 2013 is a perfect blueprint for success.

Last edited:

Yeah, I would think they get some money for Evenepoel starting in San Juan and UAE, more than they would have gotten for the European races, and they want to expand the brand, at least that's my assumption.

In hindsight, I'd have scratched San Juan. What did it serve other than getting smoked on Alto de Colorado?
Money. They got paid a decent amount of money to show up and race. It's also an easy way to start your season, with some guaranteed wins with your team.

So let me get this straight. Now Evenepoel does a gimped UAE Tour, misses all the fun at TA or PN, to then participate next at Liege before the Giro, with a couple of altitude camps in between? Is that correct? Can I say I don't like it?
I agree, his schedule is a bit boring at the moment, and doesn't challenge him properly against top riders which is needed before starting in the Giro. Maybe they make some changes, although I'm pretty sure that they keep it fixed as-is.

Why would ASO see a business opportunity in designing a Remco friendly course? Britain was an unconquered market with Wiggins. Not so Belgium.
Business opportunity, yes. If cycling gains in popularity, succeeds as a whole, ASO will benefit. There are not too many "unconquered markets" left. In the conquered ones, the sport isn't as popular as it used to be.

ASO has to get Remco in addition to Jonas and Tadej. This could trigger a golden age for Le Tour and for cycling, and ASO will cash in. A friendly route seems to be the best way to get Remco, methinks.

Money. They got paid a decent amount of money to show up and race. It's also an easy way to start your season, with some guaranteed wins with your team.

I agree, his schedule is a bit boring at the moment, and doesn't challenge him properly against top riders which is needed before starting in the Giro. Maybe they make some changes, although I'm pretty sure that they keep it fixed as-is.
To the bolded, hallelujah! I have seen the light! Bless your soul! For the Lord has illuminated our minds! You know what I'm saying! Haaa!

He needs proper challenges, so why doesn't QS provide that for him, instead of thinking about chump change when there is a pot of gold over the rainbow? "One day, over the rainbow, way up high..." Come on y'all, sing it with me!, said Robin Williams (RIP) from the stage/interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berniece and Tonton
The problem with remco riding the San Juan is that it's not good for the sport that any rider receives appearance money at a race which is on at the same time as a WT race being the TDU - In saying that TDU organizers put in an unsuccessful bid for Remco's appearance - Finally, the TDU was a better suited parcour for Remco's attributes.

The problem with remco riding the San Juan is that it's not good for the sport that any rider receives appearance money at a race which is on at the same time as a WT race being the TDU - In saying that TDU organizers put in an unsuccessful bid for Remco's appearance - Finally, the TDU was a better suited parcour for Remco's attributes.
The problem with Remco riding San Juan is that San Juan is a terrible race. :D

Reactions: Andre
Ah, well, if only riders were not to receive apperance fees...we got that, but the Don Kings of the sport always think otherwise. Let's move on to the Giro and see if it comes back to haunt him.

Last edited:
You can continue the Remco hype also in the UAE thread, which he is racing: :screamcat:

Boring might be a nice way to avoid inflated press attention, too. The New Champ needs some space to actually train and race; not be trotted out for every race. The Giro is a tough race.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Well Catalunya does change things a fair bit, because that's a really tough stage race. Since the Giro is no walk in the park, it's nice to see he'll get that hard racing and tough competition in over multiple stages before la grande partenza in May. Which other Bigs in the GT milieu will be participating in the Spanish event? Do we know? I still think Tirreno in place of San Juan and UAE Tour would have been better preparation for him in light of the Giro appointment.

TRENDING THREADS