• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 592 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Well, his team was about as good as Jumbo, which was heralded as a "TDF team" to support Roglic in the Giro. I had hoped Missnada to be able to do better this year, but so far it doesn't seem like it. Vervaeke and Serry are about what you could expect, good domestiques for a hilly stage but not the guys to be there on the final climb. Hirt was a disappointment, and frankly so was Cattaneo. Of all the guys that should be able to support him at least halfway up the final climb, only Van Wilder was up to the task.
They've got time to get Giro-ready, too.

Reactions: jmdirt
Rog was clearly struggling on the long climb in Tirreno. Now he's very clearly 2nd best.
He’s improved immensely in two weeks. As much as we kid around with what percentage ”they are at”, it’s probably the one thing that will decide the Giro… based on the vague evidence presented here and in Tirreno, Roglic does seem on a steeper part of the curve of his form approaching the peak (as far as longer climbs are concerned) but as ever, we’re not able to really back any claims with hard evidence and will have to wait a bit more.

This race will also show how they stack up against each other on the punchier terrain and I believe it will be there (and not stage 5) where this race gets decided…

Reactions: Oldermanish
He’s improved immensely in two weeks. As much as we kid around with what percentage ”they are at”, it’s probably the one thing that will decide the Giro… based on the vague evidence presented here and in Tirreno, Roglic does seem on a steeper part of the curve of his form approaching the peak (as far as longer climbs are concerned) but as ever, we’re not able to really back any claims with hard evidence and will have to wait a bit more.

This race will also show how they stack up against each other on the punchier terrain and I believe it will be there (and not stage 5) where this race gets decided…
I've been noticing that "evidence" in cycling many times just gets thrown out of court when least expected; meaning that we think we have it figured out and then something completely unaccounted for turns out in the next race in which the so called evidence was going to make a stand.

Reactions: Gratemans
I've been noticing that "evidence" in cycling many times just gets thrown out of court when least expected; meaning that we think we have it figured out and then something completely unaccounted for turns out in the next race in which the so called evidence was going to make a stand.
Absolutely agreed. All it takes is the rider you expect to do well all of a sudden puts on his sufferface, emptily staring at the front of his wheel moving his body all over the place on his bike while the commentators are yelling in disbelief. I’ve had traumas because of that:)

Absolutely agreed. All it takes is the rider you expect to do well all of a sudden puts on his sufferface, emptily staring at the front of his wheel moving his body all over the place on his bike while the commentators are yelling in disbelief. I’ve had traumas because of that:)
Some, er....all of the best have made mistakes that cost them energy. We could rate the most dramatic Bonks of all time. Start with Pogacar.

I think the Indurain-Pantani episode was at the 94 Giro, Mortirolo stage, where Pantani was a raging bull.

When chasing Pantani Miguleon climbed Mortirolo in about 43 and half minutes dropping all other top guys (BTW it's a ridiculous time for an almost 80 kg guy, it's close to 500 watts of sustained power!). He paid for it on Santa Cristina, where he lost a lot of time.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS