• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 796 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
7xlcur.jpg

How can they spell primož so wrong.

He has 2 more difficult days to make it to week 2. He hasn't shown anything against his main comp in a week 3.
Tomorrow is easy, Saturday that climb is only 4km, I would think he's able to follow, Sunday the climb might not be difficult enough. I expect him to not lose time anymore, get better, because I think he's actually not well, and then take time in the TT again, and lead by 30-40s.

Not that it matters, everything depends on stage 13 and 14. Jumbo smelled blood, they are going to go hard those 2 stages with the idea that too much effort will just break Remco.

Reactions: Prim and SHAD0W93
Le Patron has been too outspoken regarding his tactics recently: speaking about getting rid of the red jersey and sticking to Jonas wheel. So JV attacked with Kuss in the breakaway and then with Primoz on the last climb! Le Patron still isn't realizing that those yellow guys he was chasing are merely doms of the mighty Sepp!
Exactly, you don't headline on the front page your intentions. You always dissimulate or speak in sibyline verses.

It is a well known ''secret'' that Remco does bad on consistently steep gradients, anything above 8% looks to be his weakness.

Last 5kms of this climb was 10%
Remco was brilliant on steep gradients on shorter climbs last year, first when he dropped Yates in San Sebastian and then on Les Praeres in Vuelta where he dropped all GC-riders with more than half a minute. But both of these were only like 4 km.

Im not sure its correct that Remco always struggle on steep gradients, but he is performaning a bit more unstable here.

I think he is feeling the effects of the earlier crash. Plus he had a bullseye on his back being in red so early in the race. Jumbo have so many bullets to fire that they were always likely to hit the target at some stage and they struck a big blow today. Now they have an added one with Sepp Kuss right in the mix and at this stage a podium finish and a TT victory would be a good result for Remco.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It is a well known ''secret'' that Remco does bad on consistently steep gradients, anything above 8% looks to be his weakness.

Last 5kms of this climb was 10%

I mean clearly this wasn't his peak level right? Nobody can tell me with a straight face they think that.
Now as I wrote before, I'm not sure how long one can keep laying the blame on injuries and illnesses. But any talk trying to put this down to stuff like "the climb just didn't suit him" or "this is just his normal level" is clearly missing the point.

In a way, after reading his post race interview, I think this was 95% his level and maybe 5% influenced by little inconveniencies like his crash or maybe a tiny bit of fighting a virus.
He said it was hard and in the end he was done. And just looking at Vingegaard and roglic, they were done too at the finish. It was a hard climb, Remco couldn’t handle the change in rhythm and jumbo had to work very hard for half a minute, so they didn’t really have much more to give than Remco.

Everybody more or less on their level, and either things can change for the better or the worse.

I mean clearly this wasn't his peak level right? Nobody can tell me with a straight face they think that.
Now as I wrote before, I'm not sure how long one can keep laying the blame on injuries and illnesses. But any talk trying to put this down to stuff like "the climb just didn't suit him" or "this is just his normal level" is clearly missing the point.
You're not fooling anyone with that 2,5km steep bit before it then eased up :p

Last edited:
In a way, after reading his post race interview, I think this was 95% his level and maybe 5% influenced by little inconveniencies like his crash or maybe a tiny bit of fighting a virus.
He said it was hard and in the end he was done. And just looking at Vingegaard and roglic, they were done too at the finish. It was a hard climb, Remco couldn’t handle the change in rhythm and jumbo had to work very hard for half a minute, so they didn’t really have much more to give than Remco.

Everybody more or less on their level, and either things can change for the better or the worse.
The 'problem' is that he said the same thing last year in the stage he dropped a lot of time. So its hard to distil any useful information until further up the road.

It wasn't. But to me there's a clear trend of Evenepoel performing best in the mountains on unipuerto stages that are raced pretty soft before the final climb. And today was not that.

As for the steep vs not steep, when he struggles he's clearly much worse on steep gradients. It's like his legs block and he only seems to get some watts back when the gradient softens up a little. I don't think it's just being more aero, I think he legit blows up a bit and does bigger watts on a shallow bit later, his body language is just more aggressive in the final part of the climb. It's not a huge problem on MTFs like today, because he has to pace himself anyway, but on climbs like the Larrau it might put him in a hot mess.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks SQS paced Javalambre way too hard? They literally helped set up Roglic' attack.

Remco was brilliant on steep gradients on shorter climbs last year, first when he dropped Yates in San Sebastian and then on Les Praeres in Vuelta where he dropped all GC-riders with more than half a minute. But both of these were only like 4 km.

Im not sure its correct that Remco always struggle on steep gradients, but he is performaning a bit more unstable here.
Let's not beat around the bush Prares was very steep but only for 2,5km before it went down to 7%.

Nope. If he was at 95% of his level he would have lost minutes.

I wonder if he emptied his tank more than the others today? We haven't seen the battles for the break-away but I noticed that during the chase of the peleton he was mostly riding in 4th position of the peleton, putting his face in the wind a bit too often. It's good to take 6 seconds when it doesn't cost you much energy but it's even beter to know how to conserve energy when it can cost you a lot if you don't.