• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 799 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He went all in for WWTT gold, however, in sight of the big mountains of this Vuelta that was not ideal prep. Naturally this doesn't necessarily mean it's the reason for his getting dropped yesterday, but when going up against this Jumbo-Visma, anything that isn't ideal in the preparation most likely will punish you with a severe verdict. One could argue that Vingo, coming out of the Tour, didn't have ideal prep either, which is true. Yet his natural climbing prowess and the fact that he focused on recovery from the Tour, likely means he can ride into top shape or thereabouts in the third week. His level at the Tour, however, was 2 steps higher than the rest, so even if he only makes it to 1 step above the rest in this Vuelta that should be good enough. Of the big contenders, Roglic arguably had the closest to ideal prep, which should carry him through in this Vuelta to a win or second place. Time will tell.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I’m with the crowd preaching patience and moderation. I’ll take the same stance I did last year when Remco, Ayuso, Vine, and their mothers put Roglic to the sword on a climb in the first week of the Vuelta: No way this is Remco’s peak level. Or at least I wouldn’t extrapolate from this to future climbs and conclude he will lose minutes. On stage 3, he smoked everyone and the narrative was that Roglic didn’t have it (like Remco, he had just crashed).

Personally, the most I’m willing to go out on a limb and say at this point is that I think the podium will come from these riders: Roglic, Vingegaard, Remco, and Ayuso, with Kuss as a wild card. Almeida could sneak in, but I don’t see it. I still think Remco will smash this ITT.

Remco admits that he wasnt feeling 100% yesterday . And that he is feeling better today . He didn't elaborate further but it can explain one or two things ..

In any case , he looked sharp before the start .

Game on !
It was pretty clear in his post race interview yesterday he didn't look good, like he was sick. His face, pale, his demeanor, his eyes, his voice.
Something was definitely off, it wasn't just being at his limit.

Reactions: xo 1
I’m with the crowd preaching patience and moderation. I’ll take the same stance I did last year when Remco, Ayuso, Vine, and their mothers put Roglic to the sword on a climb in the first week of the Vuelta: No way this is Remco’s peak level. Or at least I wouldn’t extrapolate from this to future climbs and conclude he will lose minutes. On stage 3, he smoked everyone and the narrative was that Roglic didn’t have it (like Remco, he had just crashed).

Personally, the most I’m willing to go out on a limb and say at this point is that I think the podium will come from these riders: Roglic, Vingegaard, Remco, and Ayuso, with Kuss as a wild card. Almeida could sneak in, but I don’t see it. I still think Remco will smash this ITT.
What is your definition of "smoked everyone"?

It could well be that the crash produced more collateral damage than naturally he could comunicate, in which case, like last year after his crash, he ships time until feeling better. The weekend will tell more about his actual state and further prospects for this race. I think, regarding Kuss, Jumbo will actually try to win with him until he no longer can be a viable candidate for overall victory. But you certainly won't see Rog or Vingo attacking him with the current lead he enjoys.

Reactions: Sandisfan
it seems whenever someone gets beat it's because of some previous races that still linger in their legs or something else: The Fish gets beat=he has the Tour under his legs. Roglic gets beat=he still has some cobwebs left from the Giro. Thomas gets beat=he has father time on his back. Ayuso gets beat= hey, I'm still too young. Mas gets beat= I'm the almighty (or maybe not). But anyway, the strongest team on the planet gained 30 seconds on the weakest team ever on a GT. Not the end of the world.

Reactions: wickedw
it seems whenever someone gets beat it's because of some previous races that still linger in their legs or something else: The Fish gets beat=he has the Tour under his legs. Roglic gets beat=he still has some cobwebs left from the Giro. Thomas gets beat=he has father time on his back. Ayuso gets beat= hey, I'm still too young. Mas gets beat= I'm the almighty (or maybe not). But anyway, the strongest team on the planet gained 30 seconds on the weakest team ever on a GT. Not the end of the world.
Remco gets beat= the list of excuses is endless.

Remco gets beat= the list of excuses is endless.
nope, they are entirely in line with the others. (see stage 3 regarding Roglic).
Just that in the remco thread these things get repeated a lot more due to the additional trolls joining the conversation and loudly declaring as well know established facts how bad & stupid remco and his supporters are for believing in him.

(again see roglic on stage3 crash?/badly positionned. nobody declaring he sucks, can't climb, can't sprint, will never win a GT)

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and xo 1