• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 952 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It's exactly because there have been weeks in between, that you actually can see the difference.
What focal length is the lens being used in this vs the last photo you saw? Is the light source consistent between this and the last photo? I could go on and on, it all affects how people look.

There's no way to draw a conclusion. One could wonder if there's been a change, certainly one could say "he looks different in this photo, I wonder if he's lost weight", but the "difference" you're seeing could be real or the light, lens, and angle of the shot.

What focal length is the lens being used in this vs the last photo you saw? Is the light source consistent between this and the last photo? I could go on and on, it all affects how people look.

There's no way to draw a conclusion. One could wonder if there's been a change, certainly one could say "he looks different in this photo, I wonder if he's lost weight", but the "difference" you're seeing could be real or the light, lens, and angle of the shot.
Yes thank you. I'm perfectly aware of these variables. But he isn't wearing make-up and this picture is taken in natural daylight. Like i said, you have a clear view on the profile of his cheekline. But let's agree to disagree. If you claim you can't see the difference, i believe you.

Reactions: ManicJack
Yes thank you. I'm perfectly aware of these variables. But he isn't wearing make-up and this picture is taken in natural daylight. Like i said, you have a clear view on the profile of his cheekline. But let's agree to disagree. If you claim you can't see the difference, i believe you.
I don’t claim I don’t see a difference. I do. I simply don’t claim to know if it’s the photo or if he’s actually lost weight. Clear now?

Make-up?

I realize this runs afoul of your purported ability to determine rider weight on sight, but…sorry, it’s nonsense.

I realize this runs afoul of your purported ability to determine rider weight on sight, but…sorry, it’s nonsense.
That indeed is nonsense. Not just about determining rider weight on sight, but especially you claiming it is a purported ability of mine. I never claimed i can determine weight. But depending on the photo material, i can see on certain images whether someone is leaner or not compared to other footage.

That indeed is nonsense. Not just about determining rider weight on sight, but especially you claiming it is a purported ability of mine. I never claimed i can determine weight. But depending on the photo material, i can see on certain images whether someone is leaner or not compared to other footage.
There’s no question you believe that. Lots of people do.

So guys, Remco is lining out again at Itzulia and the exciting thing is we get to see him against Vingo also.

Thankfully, the result in last year's Vuelta has served to take some pressure off Remco. He took a heavy loss to Jumbo in the big Pyrenean stage and expections have been refined.

As we look forward to the Basque stage race, Remco will be looking for a good performance and a podium should be seen as a good result.

I think he'll be ahead of Jonas after the 10k time trial. He should be ok for stages 2 and 3 and be able to follow any attacks as the gradients are shallow.

Some of the climbs at the end of stage 4 and 5 look like a pure watts per kilo test. Remco could hang with Jonas here.

I feel it all comes down to the last stage. Will Jonas power away to take the win from distance? Can anyone stop him??

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
There’s no question you believe that. Lots of people do.
I may offer up a sarcastic comment about rider weight or body, but as a rule for the elite, there is not lots of extra to lose. Most top riders are super low body weight and even lower body fat. Would say pretty subjective ( conspiracy theory) to think from a few photos or videos anyone can see obvious weight gain or loss from elite riders. The days of Jan Ullrich type winter weight gain is long since passed.

I may offer up a sarcastic comment about rider weight or body, but as a rule for the elite, there is not lots of extra to lose. Most top riders are super low body weight and even lower body fat. Would say pretty subjective ( conspiracy theory) to think from a few photos or videos anyone can see obvious weight gain or loss from elite riders. The days of Jan Ullrich type winter weight gain is long since passed.
Remco is also already so small weight wise. He's around 68 kgs off season 64-65 kgs at the beginning of the season and usually is 62.5kgs -63kgs during the season.

Conversion for non metric folks
68 kgs = 149.6 lbs
64 kgs = 140.8 lbs
62.5kgs = 137.5 lbs
61kgs = 134.2 lbs

It's extremely difficult to lose weight and not have negative effects unless it's done slowly throughout the season.

Remco is also already so small weight wise. He's around 68 kgs off season 64-65 kgs at the beginning of the season and usually is 62.5kgs -63kgs during the season.

Evenepoel is not skinny by nature. Two years ago he started the season weighing 68kg, he finished the season weighing 61.5kg. Exactly because he is relatively short and his absolute weight is (/should be) lower compared to a taller rider, that means it is easier to see those fluctuations. Furthermore, Paris Nice is 3 weeks ago, and it only makes sense that he would start Itzulia lighter than Paris Nice, which barely had real climbs and higher chance of bad/cold weather.

How about this? I'd say from the photo he looks leaner. Now this is either because he is, which would be a positive development in light of the competition and events he shall face moving forward, or he is not, because the image has deceived me. Both are a possibility, however, I'm hedging my bets on the former, given that the image was posted just before Itzulia, where he shall face Vingegaard and Roglic, etc. And you'd think that if such an image was posted in such a moment, it would be to get the fanbase riled up over a leaner and meaner Remco, for that is exactly what he must be like for the coming challenges this year. And, so, he should be doing better numbers with it. For he's gonna need to against Vingo at Itzulia and Pog at Liege, who should already be approaching, if not be at, thermonuclear Giro state. Indeed, Remco is gonna need wings from here on out...

Last edited:
Reactions: red_flanders
How about this? I'd say from the photo he looks leaner. Now this is either because he is, which would be a positive development in light of the competition and events he shall face moving forward, or he is not, because the image has deceived me. Both are a possibility, however, I'm hedging my bets on the former, given that the image was posted just before Itzulia, where he shall face Vingegaard and Roglic, etc. And you'd think that if such an image was posted in such a moment, it would be to get the fanbase riled up over a leaner and meaner Remco, for that is exactly what he must be like for the coming challenges this year. And, so, he should be doing better numbers with it. For he's gonna need to against Vingo at Itzulia and Pog at Liege, who should already be approaching, if not be at, thermonuclear Giro state. Indeed, Remco is gonna need wings from here on out...
And against Mathieu at Amstel.

We'll know in a couple of days. We'll see during team presentation, or in his TT outfit if he lost some weight. We'll get footage from multiple angles.