• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1004 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Yeah, you keep saying that. And i keep saying he finished 4th in UAE Tour and 4th in Romandie.
Well, keep on dreaming. I don't say (write on this forum) anything. I'm just stating. I recognise the talent of Van wilder. I conclude that Van Wilder has not evolved further (last season and this season). There is no reason that he suddenly wouldn't be able to digest an altitude training camp this year. In addition, he should be bad either just after the altitude training. So the days before the Dauphiné and during the first stage. Only to get better or even good after a few days (the TT !). Or vice-versa. Starting strong the first stages and gradual fading (the TT !). But Van Wilder did neither. Given the past, there is no reason that he would be bad after an altitude training period. Unless he was overtrained. If you have inside information, share it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, keep on dreaming. I don't say (write on this forum) anything. I'm just stating. I recognise the talent of Van wilder. I conclude that Van Wilder has not evolved further (last season and this season). There is no reason that he suddenly wouldn't be able to digest an altitude training camp this year. In addition, he should be bad either just after the altitude training. So the days before the Dauphiné and during the first stage. Only to get better or even good after a few days (the TT !). Or vice-versa. Starting strong the first stages and gradual fading (the TT !). But Van Wilder did neither. Given the past, there is no reason that he would be bad after an altitude training period. Unless he was overtrained. If you have inside information, share it.
Would you say his performance in the dauphine makes sense though? Even if he didn’t progress, he rode much worse than he did the last two years. So there’s clearly something wrong

Would you say his performance in the dauphine makes sense though? Even if he didn’t progress, he rode much worse than he did the last two years. So there’s clearly something wrong
Indeed. But I haven't the inside information about Van wilder allowing me to know the reasons of his disappointing performance. Logic should know, but he keeps spewing mist.
Anyway, if overtrained, I hope for Van wilder that the forced rest due to his crash will allow him to recover.

Indeed. But I haven't the inside information about Van wilder allowing me to know the reasons of his disappointing performance. Logic should know, but he keeps spewing mist.
Anyway, if overtrained, I hope for Van wilder that the forced rest due to his crash will allow him to recover.
If it has anything to do with SOQ training methods he would've shared it, so I don't think he's overtrained. Maybe just an unlucky season at the moment that the wrong things happen at the wrong time.

Remco got sick in the Dauphine. Not sure if Allergies or Covid again...

I like how he did not make an excuse during the race
He spoke of his dust mite allergy twice and said he was not able to get a good night's sleep because 2 hotels had carpet in his room.

Almost impossible. It's another context. Van Aert was not riding for the GC. Van Aert could win sprints (Evenepoel can not) and was allowed to go in a break during the Ventoux-stage. I think the only stagewin possibility is the first TT. Unless he is later put on at 10 minutes and given the freedom to attack.

TT, semi-mountain and flat sprint, both from the breakaway. I feel that could be possible, obviously if Remco not in a favourable GC position any more.

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
My preferred team for le tour would be this:
Remco,Landa,Van Wilder,Hirt,Vervaeke, Lampaert,Moscon and Asgreen. For me this is a balanced team with strength in the mountains and on the flat terrain. A mix of routine and young spirit. Its a question mark over IvW form and i believe its wise to put Hirt in the team so that Remco and Landa dont get isolated to early in the toughest mountain stages. One can also debate If Casper Pedersen should take Asgreen’s place.Right now Asgreen is lacking the last perentages of top form, but i see that he is on the right way and he can be a valuable road captain for Remco. Thoughts?

Remco,Landa,Van Wilder,Hirt,Vervaeke, Lampaert,Moscon and Asgreen. For me this is a balanced team with strength in the mountains and on the flat terrain. A mix of routine and young spirit. Its a question mark over IvW form and i believe its wise to put Hirt in the team so that Remco and Landa dont get isolated to early in the toughest mountain stages. One can also debate If Casper Pedersen should take Asgreen’s place.Right now Asgreen is lacking the last perentages of top form, but i see that he is on the right way and he can be a valuable road captain for Remco. Thoughts?
That's also my team. But..... Van Wilder is out of shape, although he will participate. Hirt rode the Giro for a top 10 ranking. What I do not understand. He was not scheduled for the Tour. But I read that he now also participates in the short altitude training. But he will not be in top form and will probably have to let go early during every final climb. Ironically the Soudal-Quickstep team will be less strong than the team during the Vuelta 22. Finally, Lampaert crashed yesterday in Switzerland....

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Hirt has been completely and utterly useless for the past 2 years in every race except for the Giro where he could ride for himself.
Van Wilder is not out of shape.
Second in Tour of Oman and 8th in the Giro is pretty good. Besides that i agree. He was bought to assist Remco in GT high mountains and has not done his job good enough thus far. I still believe its an advantage to have him in the tour team and make him save energy in every flat stage and focus solely to assist on the mountain stages. He is probably around 20-25th best climber in the tour, Landa 10-12th(On a good day he is top 10 climber). Landa looked really good before the crash in Basque country. I hope he gets back to that level or better in the tour.Dauphine was a promising comeback.

I think I would replace Moscon with Casper Pedersen and keep Asgreen in the team.

I'm also not that high on Hirt but I don't really see a better alternative. That should always have been Cattaneo's place but sadly he's injured. Serry is also injured, Alaphilippe is focussing on the Olympics, Knox didn't impress at Dauphiné and Masnada couldn't finish Suisse. So yeah, it'll probably be Hirt.