• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1005 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think I would replace Moscon with Casper Pedersen and keep Asgreen in the team.

I'm also not that high on Hirt but I don't really see a better alternative. That should always have been Cattaneo's place but sadly he's injured. Serry is also injured, Alaphilippe is focussing on the Olympics, Knox didn't impress at Dauphiné and Masnada couldn't finish Suisse. So yeah, it'll probably be Hirt.
I don't think it will matter that much. It's not like Evenepoel will lead the TDF for multiple days, so his team doesn't have to carry the race. He has enough with Landa and Van Wilder around him.

I don't think it will matter that much. It's not like Evenepoel will lead the TDF for multiple days, so his team doesn't have to carry the race. He has enough with Landa and Van Wilder around him.
Probably true but not having Cattaneo will be the biggest loss imo. He has been Remco's most loyal domestique the past years and has always come through, even when his climbing form was lacking, he was still really important on flatter sections.

I hope he/they can fix his health problems sooner rather than later.

Probably true but not having Cattaneo will be the biggest loss imo. He has been Remco's most loyal domestique the past years and has always come through, even when his climbing form was lacking, he was still really important on flatter sections.

I hope he/they can fix his health problems sooner rather than later.
I agree, he was a great help in the Vuelta last year. He's the perfect guy to send with an early attack, and help later in the race.

Reactions: Berflamand
I agree. Normally, Evenepoel will not have to defend a yellow jersey. So, the teammates only have to do their normal job on the flat. No one of the team will have to pace in the second last and final climb. In the mountains, Hirt and Vervaecke will have to bring food and drinking bottles. But they will not be able to assist Evenepoel in the final climb. Van Wilder (if back in shape) could do that job during the first km of the final climb. Landa will have to pace Evenepoel when dropped by the other GC-riders and climbers. If Evenepoel is really not strong enough, it could be Evenepoel has to work for Landa.

The VLAB-team has suffered many setbacks. But they have still a very strong team. Not much less than UAE. Benoot in the middle mountains and strong climbers Keldermann, Jorgenson and Kuss assisting Vingegaard in the final (climb). If they are tactical smart, they don't pace in the climbs, nor respond attacks of climbers or second degree GC-riders. Let do (all) the work by the actual superteam UAE. So that the UAE-rider are not at their best anymore during the last week.

If the Belgian Ulle manages to get down to his gc racing weight in time I can see him fighting for a gc podium.
Losing much weight while training to get in peak shape, is not possible without risking performance. As far as my basic knowledge goes, sportsnutritionists will tell you to lose the weight during off-season / off-peak periods. Ironically, that's the time our boy uses to do the exact opposite. Slow weight loss can help performance, fast weight loss impedes it, specifically strength and anaerobic performance. Basically, it's not just getting to your best optimal weight, but how you reach it is even more important. The difference between Vuelta '22 and '23.

Basically there is no way he will be at optimal GC weight AND optimal GC form at the same time, in time for the TDF.

Losing much weight while training to get in peak shape, is not possible without risking performance. As far as my basic knowledge goes, sportsnutritionists will tell you to lose the weight during off-season / off-peak periods. Ironically, that's the time our boy uses to do the exact opposite. Slow weight loss can help performance, fast weight loss impedes it, specifically strength and anaerobic performance. Basically, it's not just getting to your best optimal weight, but how you reach it is even more important. The difference between Vuelta '22 and '23.

Basically there is no way he will be at optimal GC weight AND optimal GC form at the same time, in time for the TDF.
Yeah, with that in mind and seeing that he didn't ride something like Strade Bianche to prepare (at least a bit) for the gravel stage I find it hard to believe that he and the team actually target the gc at the Tour...

Reactions: Sandisfan

That’s true. But he said it won’t be a problem to lose that 1kg untill the start of the Tour so that’s not a concern for me anymore. I think they know in how much time he drops his weight without losing performance.
It’s now more if he can get 100% without those weeks of training he lost.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I just have this feeling his trajectory going in that hes gonne suprise someone for no logic reasons besides my gut feeling or maby hope i dont know. Allez allez Remco lets see
Summer is when he shines. That's the impression I have. Last year was mentally difficult for him with the merger issues and the Vuelta was his breaking point but generally you see him at his best from late juni to late september. Lets see what happens this year.

No, it is not. Losing 2 kilos in the Tour is not good. He will increase his fatigue a lot during the race because he is not eating enough.
That’s not what I said. 2 kilos in 5 weeks of which 3 weeks before the Tour.

This shows they have no idea what they are doing. They already tried this in the Vuelta last year, with great succes.
Not the same