• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I don’t know, Evenepoel seems confident though, and thinks he’s ready. Who are we to doubt that.
I hope so. He will be ready but not at his best. He should be to challenge Pogacar. I think, even at his best, he would be beaten by Pogacar. As we could see during the Tour de France (ok, longer and steeper climbs). But on this hilly stretch, we would have a nice battle. Now I think the final will be predictable and boring. Unless we end up with a battle between the two Slovenians

I hope so. He will be ready but not at his best. He should be to challenge Pogacar. I think, even at his best, he would be beaten by Pogacar. As we could see during the Tour de France (ok, longer and steeper climbs). But on this hilly stretch, we would have a nice battle. Now I think the final will be predictable and boring. Unless we end up with a battle between the two Slovenians
Ah no, at his best I don't see Pogacar easily beat Evenepoel. Maybe in a sprint, but not finishing solo. Evenepoel is too good as a rouleur for that.

It could also be that none of them win the WC, because neither wants to chase. If Roglic and Van Gils are in a group in the front, I don't see them chasing it. Since those riders will have a free role, I hope they understand they need to go before the last two rounds. I've seen many races of which I though, oh Valverde will win this easily, and then because of race dynamics he isn't in the picture the whole race.

Ah no, at his best I don't see Pogacar easily beat Evenepoel. Maybe in a sprint, but not finishing solo. Evenepoel is too good as a rouleur for that.

It could also be that none of them win the WC, because neither wants to chase. If Roglic and Van Gils are in a group in the front, I don't see them chasing it. Since those riders will have a free role, I hope they understand they need to go before the last two rounds. I've seen many races of which I though, oh Valverde will win this easily, and then because of race dynamics he isn't in the picture the whole race.

Pog and Remco have too much history on the line to let a teammate win this

If he does the double again, and Lombardia would he win Velo d'or?
It would be extremely close. Like rghysens already said, winning the double in Olympics, and winning the double in WC has never been done before. But those are of course single day races while Pogacar won 2 GT's in a single year. Personally I don't find one better than the other, so it might come down to who people like more. Like Vingegaard winning last year.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Sicne I feel velo d'or should be a points based award for best rider, Pog would get it.

I've laid out my scoring scale before, but even if Pog ZEROs the worlds and Lombardia, he'd still be at 152

Remco's max would be 127 (at 80 now). Yep the crash would prove to be the difference, but part of the sport is being able to stay on your bike

Sicne I feel velo d'or should be a points based award for best rider, Pog would get it.

I've laid out my scoring scale before, but even if Pog ZEROs the worlds and Lombardia, he'd still be at 152

Remco's max would be 127 (at 80 now). Yep the crash would prove to be the difference, but part of the sport is being able to stay on your bike
You are missing a multiplier on the uniqueness of the event.

Pogacar.

TdF+Giro+Catalunya + LBL+ Strade Bianchi + Montreal
beats
Algarve+ Figueira+Olympic (RR&TT)+ Worlds (RR&TT)+Lombardi.
It really is
TDF + Giro + LBL
v.
OG double + WC double + Lombardia

The rest just doesn’t matter to the people voting. Not that it matters, this award doesn’t really matter anyway.

Also for Evenepoel to win WC RR and Lombardia there needs to be something seriously wrong with Pogacar

If he does the double again, and Lombardia would he win Velo d'or?

This is an interesting speculation. Double double by Evenepoel would be something unique. 4 golds. If he adds Lombardy to that then who knows (if Pogacar wins Lombardy then his 2 GTs + 2 monuments obviously topples double double). It's still far from realization and unlikely so let's wait and see.

Reactions: joe_papp
This is an interesting speculation. Double double by Evenepoel would be something unique. 4 golds. If he adds Lombardy to that then who knows (if Pogacar wins Lombardy then his 2 GTs + 2 monuments obviously topples double double). It's still far from realization and unlikely so let's wait and see.
What is this poker? Well then, Strade, Catalunya, LBL, Giro-Tour is certainly a Straight Flush, while double Olympic Gold, double Worlds Gold and Lombardia a Full House. It's the Giro-Tour combo factor, however, that adds decisive weight to the one-day race achievements.

What is this poker? Well then, Strade, Catalunya, LBL, Giro-Tour is certainly a Straight Flush, while double Olympic Gold, double Worlds Gold and Lombardia a Full House. It's the Giro-Tour combo factor, however, that adds decisive weight to the one-day race achievements.

I'd say iwth the Undisputed World road cycling championship, plus 3rd at the TDF, plus a Lombardia, it is a straight flush.

A J high straight flush. Beaten by Pogs K high straight flush

Last edited:
Without WVA Remco will need to search other allies in the road race, 1 vs 1 Teddy wins.
Unfortunately, there are not that many round. Hirschi seems the best of the rest? Not to mention the danger from within the team, Primoz?
And the fact that a WC always tend to spring a little surprise.

Without WVA Remco will need to search other allies in the road race, 1 vs 1 Teddy wins.
Unfortunately, there are not that many round. Hirschi seems the best of the rest? Not to mention the danger from within the team, Primoz?
And the fact that a WC always tend to spring a little surprise.
There are enough allies in the race for Remco. If I was him, just counter Pogacar, and don't take over. There's no reason for Remco to ride with Pogacar to the finish line, he'll lose the sprint, and Evenepoel already won the WC. Play it more tactically. Pogacar has the choice to keep riding or to slow down and let other people come back. Of which I'm sure MVDP will be one. Then there's still a chance Evenepoel is able to attack and ride away from that group, unless Pogacar shuts everything down, but then he's riding with MVDP to the finish line.