The Chicken more protected than the bossCarstenbf said:Much more interesting than the Ryder angle imo ..
- Monday was restday. We were to have blood test by the UCI officials. Afterwards we went for a training ride. When we got back to the hotel, Frans Maasen sought me out, and told me that they'd been called by the UCI. He had been told there was a problem with one of the riders.
- I hope it's not you, he said.
- It was me.
- I was finished.
However, at that time Rabobank was among the biggest sponsors. That meant that the team had a good relationship with the UCI, and hence the Rabobank doctor got together with the UCI doctor and came up with a solution.
- Doctor Leinders og doctor Mario Zorzoli, chief of the UCI medical department, had a meeting, in which they thoroughly discussed the case. When it was over, I was allowed to continue. No cause for alarm.
- Afterwards doctor Leinders told me what transpired. He used a dutch expression: 'We have butter on our heads'. They just slide off, the cases. Rabobank had a good relationship with the UCI; things had been taken care of in amicable fashion.
- You are the most protected rider in the TdF right now, he told me.
- They just acknowledged that you're allowed to break the rules.