• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The rider's tribute ride to a colleague and friend: Giro d'Italia Stage 4

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why is RAI covering this stage throughout the whole day? I don't mean to be callous but I couldn't see myself watching the people on bikes all day mourning the loss of a colleague and a friend. Maybe coverage of the finish would be more appropriate.

Btw, lets be understanding of people when emotions are running high in the forum. Meaning less bickering won't get people anywhere.

A

Anonymous

Armchair cyclist said:
I certainly mean no disrespect to Tyler Farrar, nor do I accuse him of any exaggeration of the closeness he had with WW or his anguish today, but I dislike the idea of judging comparative sense of loss. He was close to people at Quickstep for 6 years, he will have been well known to all the Belgians (and presumably the Dutch guys) for many years, and people with less access to the English language media will also have considered him a very close friend.

Sympathy to Tyler, all at Leopard and Quickstep, all his friends and former colleagues, whose ride today will be difficult. But no-one should have to judge who is more deserving of taking the honours on his behalf.

Who is comparing a sense of loss? You are doing the comparing here. I am pretty sure that Tyler knows what his relationship was with WW, and any decision he makes in relation to that is his business. You started out saying you meant no disrespect, and then showed disrespect about a subject you know **** all about.

A

Anonymous

Lupetto said:
Farrar will leave the Giro tomorrow.

Glad he will ride today. The quote I saw only quoted Millar as saying Tyler would pull out. It sounded like it was today, but it makes sense that he will ride today and pull out tomorrow like Leopard.

Grzdylu said:
Will Leopard leave Giro tomorrow?

quote from kim andersen as reported on danish tv2

"Når rytterne fra Leopard Trek tirsdag har valgt at fortsætte i Giro d'Italia, skyldes det ikke mindst et ønske fra familien til holdkammeraten Wouter Weylandt, der mandag mistede livet efter et styrt.

Det fortæller holdets ledende sportsdirektør Kim Andersen.

"Wouters forældre ønsker, at de øvrige ryttere fortsætter i respekt for Wouter og hans kærlighed til cykelsporten, som han har levet med i så mange år," siger Kim Andersen."

google translate:

When riders from Leopard Trek Tuesday chose to continue in the Giro d'Italia, it is not least a desire from the family of teammate Wouter Weylandt who died Monday after a crash.

It tells the team's leading sports director Kim Andersen.

"Wouters parents wish that the other riders will continue in respect for Wouter and his love for the sport which he has lived with for so many years," said Kim Andersen.

he later tells that it will be up to the individual riders to make a decision for themselves about wheter to stay or leave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/10/wouter-weylandt-leopard-trek-giro

"The Leopard Trek team have confirmed they will continue in the Giro d'Italia despite the death of Wouter Weylandt.

The Leopard Trek general manager, Brian Nygaard, added: "We will start on Tuesday out of respect for the family Weylandt and also to share our grief with the world of cycling. The boys were totally defeated. If there is anyone who did not want to continue, we accept that.
"

today's Guardian.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Why is RAI covering this stage throughout the whole day? I don't mean to be callous but I couldn't see myself watching the people on bikes all day mourning the loss of a colleague and a friend. Maybe coverage of the finish would be more appropriate.

Btw, lets be understanding of people when emotions are running high in the forum. Meaning less bickering won't get people anywhere.

Actually I think it is entirely appropriate that RAI cover the stage as normal - it offers everyone - from the tifosi on the road to the fans tuning in - the opportunity to acknowledge this sad occasion.

Also, it must be said - the cycling community is a close bunch and I am very heartened and proud of all on the agreed format for todays stage in memory of Wouter.

Too often, the commercial interest reigns and hollow platitudes are put out that "they would have wanted us to race or continue on" etc.
It is one of the beautiful aspects of this sport - how the peloton comes together and the riders get to choose what happens today (and the organizers let them decide).

It is just a bike race so it is entirely correct to set aside the day in memory of their colleague and friend.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0080095_1_full_600.jpg

:(

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
CN didnt say anything about neutralising the stage, they only said a minutes silence like i said. well if they do neutralise the stage there is no point watching it. Im sure a racer would like his death to be remembered by some racing.

Like ryo said, colleagues probably don't feel like racing atm. I really don't feel like watching racing, but a tribute, contrary to what you said, I don't mind having a look at.

Moondance said:
Neutralised or not I doubt I can watch this stage.

I might not be able to bring myself to see any of this Giro.

i feel some what the same. It might pass in a few days, but we'll see.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
I think that will be the case, i wouldn't be surprised if a few others from different teams who knew wouter will pull out..

I think a few will, wouldnt be surprised if a few that witnessed the crash and its aftermath will be going home as well.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I think a few will, wouldnt be surprised if a few that witnessed the crash and its aftermath will be going home as well.

how about the quickstep guys, i believe some of them who were old colleagues of weylandt may leave too. Im sure after some days you guys would be able to watch the giro.