• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The ridicolous Contador vs Wiggins/Froome comparisons

...What's up with that?

Don't forget that Contador made a fool out of a fully prepared Nibali in the Giro. That he eased away from Evans so many times uphill. Gaining +1 min with a serious attack. Even 1'30+ in not-topform TDF 2010 on guys like Vandenbroeck.
Now compare that to the Sky duo. Strong as they might seem, they can't shed Evans on a climb. Nibali lost what, 8 seconds on 200m sprint? And JvdBroeck attack on saturday put Froome and Wiggins on the limit...
Contador rode away from that same guy with ease when he wasn't in ultimate shape in TDF 2010. Who are we kidding?

Contador uphill is in another league than Wiggins or Froome. And I doubt he would lose more than 40 seconds on Wiggins in a topform in an ITT.

Discuss

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
People are generally inclined to compare superiority with superiority, so this is actually quite logical.

We will see whether these comparisons are as stupid as they seem when the real mountains come about but they probably are.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Did you forget Contador's best ITTs? He even beat Cancellara when Fabian was in much better shape than he is now

Contador is a monster. Even in ITT's.

I would have liked to see Contador consistently be the best in TTs like Wiggins has been this year before we come up with claims like that.

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Er, why did you start your own thread on the same subject as my thread? A bit rude.

In the last couple of tours Contador has not dominated. Last year he cracked, the year before he scrapped a win against A Schleck, only later to have it taken away. His TTing won't be much better than Evans' TTing, and look what happened to day. And his team won't be as good as sky. The tour is unlikely to have many steep climbs where he can put minutes into people. I think Wiggins may well have the edge next year.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
People are generally inclined to compare superiority with superiority, so this is actually quite logical.

We will see whether these comparisons are as stupid as they seem when the real mountains come about but they probably are.

Yes but this is comparing superiority of a rider (Contador) to superiority of a team (Sky).

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Did you forget Contador's best ITTs? He even beat Cancellara when Fabian was in much better shape than he is now

Contador is a monster. Even in ITT's.

Shame I now have to repeat the same points.

He only beat FC by a second, the TT had a big hill in the middle, there was a reported change of wind direction that favored AC, and AC also broke the power record that year, if you know what I mean. He won't be doing that again.

Today he would have lost at least a minute, probably more.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
2 Volta ao Algarve, Stage 5 : Lagoa - Portimao I.T.T.
2 Critérium International, Stage 3 : Porto-Vecchio I.T.T.
1 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon, Stage 4 : Ponferrada I.T.T.
6 Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 : Monteux - Sorgues I.T.T.

Those are Contador's results in TT in begining on 2010 as you posted now lets check Wiggins in same time frame in 2012 racing many of the same races:

1 Volta ao Algarve, Stage 5 : Lagoa - Portimao I.T.T.
1 Paris - Nice, Stage 8 : Nice - Col d'Eze I.T.T.
1 Tour de Romandie, Stage 5 : Crans-Montana - Crans-Montana I.T.T.
1 Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 4 : Villié-Morgon - Bourg-en-Bresse I.T.T.

Now you tell me who is better?

Mount Megiddo said:
Er, why did you start your own thread on the same subject as my thread? A bit rude.

In the last couple of tours Contador has not dominated. Last year he cracked, the year before he scrapped a win against A Schleck, only later to have it taken away. His TTing won't be much better than Evans' TTing, and look what happened to say, and his team won't be as good as sky. The tour is unlikely to have many steep climbs where he can put minutes into people. I think Wiggins may well have the edge next year.

Have you seen my post in the other thread about the last two Tours? :rolleyes:

Froome19 said:
2 Volta ao Algarve, Stage 5 : Lagoa - Portimao I.T.T.
2 Critérium International, Stage 3 : Porto-Vecchio I.T.T.
1 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon, Stage 4 : Ponferrada I.T.T.
6 Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 : Monteux - Sorgues I.T.T.

Those are Contador's results in TT in begining on 2010 as you posted now lets check Wiggins in same time frame in 2012 racing many of the same races:

1 Volta ao Algarve, Stage 5 : Lagoa - Portimao I.T.T.
1 Paris - Nice, Stage 8 : Nice - Col d'Eze I.T.T.
1 Tour de Romandie, Stage 5 : Crans-Montana - Crans-Montana I.T.T.
1 Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 4 : Villié-Morgon - Bourg-en-Bresse I.T.T.

Now you tell me who is better?

Wiggo. D_T didn't say Alberto is better btw.

Alberto is obviously not a natural TTist.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
...What's up with that?

Don't forget that Contador made a fool out of a fully prepared Nibali in the Giro. That he eased away from Evans so many times uphill. Gaining +1 min with a serious attack. Even 1'30+ in not-topform TDF 2010 on guys like Vandenbroeck.
Now compare that to the Sky duo. Strong as they might seem, they can't shed Evans on a climb. Nibali lost what, 8 seconds on 200m sprint? And JvdBroeck attack on saturday put Froome and Wiggins on the limit...
Contador rode away from that same guy with ease when he wasn't in ultimate shape in TDF 2010. Who are we kidding?

Contador uphill is in another league than Wiggins or Froome. And I doubt he would lose more than 40 seconds on Wiggins in a topform in an ITT.

Discuss

Agreed with most of it-We shall see next year, when the UK Postal faces the real test against Contador & Andy-both eager to prove their TDF pedigree

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Why are people so upset by the "40 second" prediction. That sounds about right to me.

After being totally gassed from the Giro and riding through most of the tour, Contador was 1:07 behind Tony Martin in the 42.5 km ITT last year. Why is 40 seconds an unreasonable prediction for today's stage if Contador was rested for the Tour? To me that sounds about right.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Why are people so upset by the "40 second" prediction. That sounds about right to me.

After being totally gassed from the Giro and riding through most of the tour, Contador was 1:07 behind Tony Martin in the 42.5 km ITT last year. Why is 40 seconds an unreasonable prediction for today's stage if Contador was rested for the Tour? To me that sounds about right.

We are splitting hairs a bit. It could be 60 seconds, but you say 40.

The really question is, is can Wiggo put more time on Contador in the ITT then Contador can put on Wiggo in the mountains?

kurtinsc said:

I still dont know how he managed to get 3rd in that TT, I thought he would lose like 3 minutes to Tony as he was insanely tired from previous days

kurtinsc said:

Hm.. I don't know..

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

You're not factoring in that Wiggins has taken it to a new level. AC would be 40 seconds down on FC's time, meaning he would have lost 1:40 to Wiggins.

TRENDING THREADS