• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Shrinking Vuelta

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ultimobici said:
What McQuaid & the UCI need to remember is that between them RCS & ASO own most of the top races. ASO own the Tour, P-R LBL & Flèche. RCS own MSR, Lombardia & the Giro. As a result they wield enormous clout within the sport. Pat needs them, not the other way round.

I don't know though if the ASO would leave. Yes they own half the Vuelta but we know its not their headline event. RCS would leave and maybe Unipublic, but ASO could stay.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I don't know though if the ASO would leave. Yes they own half the Vuelta but we know its not their headline event. RCS would leave and maybe Unipublic, but ASO could stay.

The UCI have had many more "disagreements" with ASO than RCS or Unipublic. Wasn't Paris-Nice run as a non-UCI event a couple of years back?

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i read this McQuaid's nonsense too, and the more he says an utter crap like this, the more i'd like to see the Big Cycling Split caused by ASO, RCS, Flanders Classics and others. I can't say i'm a big supporter of such a scenario, but if the UCI officials act like idiots then they'll be left with their Tour of Beijing and the likes of it one day, i'd love to see McQuaid's face then :rolleyes:

The Tour isn't threatened (well as much as you consider Pat airing any random thought of his a threat) with reduction.

ASO seem to be expanding in recent times and I would say that perhaps one of the reason for this expansion is the support that they have from the governing body.

And finally, a 2-week Vuelta while incredibly disappointing for some (many?) fans isn't a big deal for me with the route usually being a slightly more mountainous Tirreno-Adriatico stretched into 3 weeks with "decisive" stages thoroughly interchangeable and 15 minutes being a maximum time of action during a stage.

Kvinto said:
Yeah, i read this McQuaid's nonsense too, and the more he says an utter crap like this, the more i'd like to see the Big Cycling Split caused by ASO, RCS, Flanders Classics and others. I can't say i'm a big supporter of such a scenario, but if the UCI officials act like idiots then they'll be left with their Tour of Beijing and the likes of it one day, i'd love to see McQuaid's face then :rolleyes:

I remember reading that ASO had a hand in running Beijing.

Edit: link

http://www.tourofbeijing.net/2011/07/inaugural-tour-of-beijing-to-showcase-chinese-capital/

I would say that it's a case of UCI getting ASO onboard with their ventures and helping them gain access to the Chinese market.

ASO are probably the only organization capable of organizing a split or at least the most important one (having seen RCS let races like Lazio, Milano-Torino, Giro della Provincia di Lucca and even Primavera Rosa die I am not convinced that they are capable of running a breakaway) so the UCI are doing the right thing.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Of course the split is impossible without ASO, and UCI will do everything possible to prevent ASO from doing so, but imho ASO can gain access to the Chinese market without UCI, while the UCI is worth nothing without ASO, it is the matter of business in the end and i highly doubt McQuaid can offer something special if ASO would find running their races without UCI more profitable. And we all know it would cause a chain reaction in result of which UCI can lose everything.

The only reason to cut a week from the Vuelta is to free up some calendar space and possibly add more events in cycling's new, economic heartlands, such as China and the Midwest.

So, from a fan's perspective, it boils down to priorities.

If you favour the relative prosperity, but shaky security offered by the likes of Beijing, or the US Pro Cycling "Challenge", this proposal should make sense.
Forward thinking? Perhaps

If you prefer your Grand Tours, "grand", then clearly keeping them all as 3 week tests of skill and endurance carries sway.
Old fashioned and traditional? I hope so.

hrotha said:
Yeah, it's not like it's been talked about many times in the last decade, including by the organizers themselves. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love that our silly jokes day is different from everyone else's. We caught everybody off their guards all the time.

Funny that you say that. In primary school they told me that we have April's fools day on that exact date because it was the first time we managed to beat the Spanish who were occupying the Netherlands at the time. But seeing most of the world has the same day on the same date, I don't think there is a lot of truth in that explanation.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Kvinto,
you're quite likely right but I can't think of a reason why UCI would get a potential competitor to help organize one of "their" events. I have my doubts that it was needed to avoid the boycott by the teams (which are a third party in a split).

ASO is not a competitor to the UCI so far, it (organization of Beijing) might be a method to please ASO, i dunno. But as i understand UCI's guarantees refer only to the Tour as an untouchable race, but ASO runs other races too. I don't believe their collaboration is without stumbling blocks.

As for the teams, they pay money to the UCI for PRT/PROF licences, and i don't see them happy by McQuaid and co, so if it would come to the split i'm sure they won't support the UCI

EDIT: But to be honest i think the UCI will sacrifice McQuaid before the split danger becomes highly likely

Arnout said:
Funny that you say that. In primary school they told me that we have April's fools day on that exact date because it was the first time we managed to beat the Spanish who were occupying the Netherlands at the time. But seeing most of the world has the same day on the same date, I don't think there is a lot of truth in that explanation.
Op 1 april verloor Alva z'n bril.

But yes, that explanation is incorrect.

I would leave the Vuelta as a 3 week race due to tradition, plus I like my Grand Tours, but I've often thought it a little strange that on the European circuit there are numerous one week races and three 3 week races yet no two week ones. Does anybody else find this strange? Or maybe there is a 2 week race that I just don't know about? We have the Tour de Swiss which is 9 days (so closer to one week) and the Tour of Cali is something similar, correct (and is not in Europe anyway)? So I am thinking that if there is a change in the cycling calander then it could be something like a T-A or Pais Vasco becoming a two week race. Anyone else agree?

gregrowlerson said:
I would leave the Vuelta as a 3 week race due to tradition, plus I like my Grand Tours, but I've often thought it a little strange that on the European circuit there are numerous one week races and three 3 week races yet no two week ones. Does anybody else find this strange? Or maybe there is a 2 week race that I just don't know about? We have the Tour de Swiss which is 9 days (so closer to one week) and the Tour of Cali is something similar, correct (and is not in Europe anyway)? So I am thinking that if there is a change in the cycling calander then it could be something like a T-A or Pais Vasco becoming a two week race. Anyone else agree?

In b4 Libertine says TDF 2011 was a 2 week race.

Portugal is kind of european circuit isnt it though. Otherwise, yeah no 2 week ones, but I guess that increases the prestige of the Grand Tours since they are that extra bit separated from all the other races.

Would UCI want to minimize Vuelta to 2 weeks, lengthen ToC to 2 weeks and move it to compete against Vuelta? They would expand the territory also to more than Cal.
ToC will never be a major race where it is at now except for Levi and Horner. There is a lot of money to be made in the US with the right time slot to get the big names that actually will try to win.
Just a maybe.

veganrob said:
Would UCI want to minimize Vuelta to 2 weeks, lengthen ToC to 2 weeks and move it to compete against Vuelta? They would expand the territory also to more than Cal.
ToC will never be a major race where it is at now except for Levi and Horner. There is a lot of money to be made in the US with the right time slot to get the big names that actually will try to win.
Just a maybe.

Theres more money for cycling in a country where cycling is big, and the primary endurance sport, and has years of tradition, and 1 part of the country is literaly cycling mad - Pais Vasco, than in the US where its just another endurance sport and has practically no history ( compared to Spain).

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
The UCI have had many more "disagreements" with ASO than RCS or Unipublic. Wasn't Paris-Nice run as a non-UCI event a couple of years back?

Paris-Nice is the most overrated race on the calendar. I'll take T-A everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Some years ago, Eddy Merckx was quoted as saying that the Giro and Vuelta should be reduced to two weeks. I thought that was two thirds of a great idea. ;)

I don't support shortening the Grand Tours to benefit races in China or California or Colorado. It would help the GT's themselves. Currently, most of the top stage racers only race one GT per year. But, shorten the GT's (as well as lengthen the recovery time between them), and those delicate flowers such as the Schleck Brothers wouldn't have much of an excuse not to ride at least one other GT besides the Tour. Ideally, a substantial bonus should be awarded to the rider who places best in all three.

gregrowlerson said:

the volta and the old tour of germany had all the conditions to be 2 week races but german tour died and volta is struggling with little to no support from the UCI, a shame to the sport and the volta is actually even older then vuelta

May 6, 2009
Visit site
And for years teams used the Volta to get themselves and their riders used to riding a GT seeing as though it was just as long (or close to 3 weeks), and racing in Portugal in August is tough work (plus the hotels are generally pretty good). Maybe everybody in Portugal needs to start speaking English and Chinese and the UCI will be more proactive.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't get two-week races, they are just too long and obviously not as prestigeous as GTs, which (as was mentioned) often are "1-2 week" races without any shrinking.

We have 11-days Volta and 5-day Burgos in the same time, Volta is bigger in any regard, any but the field. I think it's better to have something like 9-days race (to cover two week-ends) instead of engaging ourselves in self-deception that "longer means better" (i have no idea how the Volta was held during 3 weeks before 1980 taking into account that Portugal is not as big as France, Italy or Spain). It won't necessarily change things in this certain case (Portugal/Burgos) but generally i find it wise, i prefer a 1 week race with 1 week of racing instead of a 2 week race with the same 1 week of racing.

But it doesn't work this way in the case of GTs because decreasing any of them to two weeks would mean the course won't cover whole (bigger part of) the country, so it is not the tour of this country but just a race of several regions.

TRENDING THREADS