• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridiculous they can get

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Valley said:
Actually I'd look to Liquigas or Movistar long before I look to Sky. Wiggins or Froome doping? I don't buy it for a second.

When I read an interview with Nibali, on the other hand, and he says "when I want something, I'll do everything possible to achieve it", I get twitchy. It's that word "everything" that worries me.

But Wiggins? Maybe people outside the UK don't get to see as many interviews with him as we do over here. Maybe they don't get the measure of the man. But I'd bet my last pound that Bradley Wiggins is not doping.

Hope you like the Euro.

Dave.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Predictions:

- 1-2 in the remaining time trial.

- Froome to ride up to breakaway attempts by top tier climbers and then attack himself, slowdown and then ride on the front again.

- Sky doms to pace set for 50km’s at a time up HC mountains

- Cav to win one or more stages before Tour end.

- The grupetto to finish outside the time limit day after day.

- Known climbers being chased down by Sky doms.

Anything else I missed?

Don't be late Pedro said:
Unless there are no more flat stages how is this so absurd?

See above, he's eliminated by the time limit.;)

The Valley said:
But Wiggins? Maybe people outside the UK don't get to see as many interviews with him as we do over here. Maybe they don't get the measure of the man. But I'd bet my last pound that Bradley Wiggins is not doping.

I think we got a good measure of the man the last time he opened his mouth. It was not pretty.

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
the ignorance of people when they think they know someone from one interview which lasted no more than 3 mins is outstanding

maybe they should look in the mirror before slandering other people for doping.

nuggs1 said:
the ignorance of people when they think they know someone from one interview which lasted no more than 3 mins is outstanding

maybe they should look in the mirror before slandering other people for doping.

What ever do you mean? Are you saying we're doping?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Valley said:
Actually I'd look to Liquigas or Movistar long before I look to Sky. Wiggins or Froome doping? I don't buy it for a second.

When I read an interview with Nibali, on the other hand, and he says "when I want something, I'll do everything possible to achieve it", I get twitchy. It's that word "everything" that worries me.

Well if Nibalis comments make you twitch then I hope your sitting comfortably for Wiggins comments....
"It's making the most of the time I've got and not wanting to look back in five years and wishing I'd done more..."
Now, myself - I think both comments are innocent enough, but if you have a twitchy composition....

May 10, 2011
Visit site
You can explain away a lot of the goings on in this Tour just by looking at the facts. What you cannot explain is the performance of Chris Froome and Team Sky in the mountains. Wiggins, sure, but Froome and these other guys? Wiggins is right - he isn't some sh*t rider to come out of nowhere. But Froome? Since when did he suddenly have the form to beat World Champion ITTers? Since when did he ALSO suddenly have the form to OUTCLIMB his own GC contender team mate? Yeah he finished 2nd in the Vuelta last year, but seriously? Something stinks bad about this. Just watching him ride makes me cringe.

I started watching the Tour in 2003, so I saw a lot of the dominance from US Postal. I enjoyed it, it was fun, (I had no idea at the time of the doping history of the sport), and I grew to appreciate it. I also thought that part of the sport was gone for good when Lance retired and the sport became "cleaner". So when I suddenly saw Sky doing the exact same tactic (and actually, I think they're being more dominant than US Postal ever was) on Stage 7 last Saturday, I immediately got a pit in my stomach.

Up until this year, I've given most riders the benefit of the doubt, and been very slow to jump onto the bandwagon. I've avoided the Clinic because it made me mad (hence my low posts). The more I start to read and dig, the more stuff like what Sky is doing bothers me, because you just can't outperform people that much and do it clean, and you also can't just come out of nowhere and do it either. Cycling is too difficult of a sport and the talent levels are just too similar.

The Valley said:

I am suprise, i tell ya :rolleyes:

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Mishrak said:
You can explain away a lot of the goings on in this Tour just by looking at the facts. What you cannot explain is the performance of Chris Froome and Team Sky in the mountains. Wiggins, sure, but Froome and these other guys? Wiggins is right - he isn't some sh*t rider to come out of nowhere. But Froome? Since when did he suddenly have the form to beat World Champion ITTers? Since when did he ALSO suddenly have the form to OUTCLIMB his own GC contender team mate? Yeah he finished 2nd in the Vuelta last year, but seriously? Something stinks bad about this. Just watching him ride makes me cringe.

I started watching the Tour in 2003, so I saw a lot of the dominance from US Postal. I enjoyed it, it was fun, (I had no idea at the time of the doping history of the sport), and I grew to appreciate it. I also thought that part of the sport was gone for good when Lance retired and the sport became "cleaner". So when I suddenly saw Sky doing the exact same tactic (and actually, I think they're being more dominant than US Postal ever was) on Stage 7 last Saturday, I immediately got a pit in my stomach.

Up until this year, I've given most riders the benefit of the doubt, and been very slow to jump onto the bandwagon. I've avoided the Clinic because it made me mad (hence my low posts). The more I start to read and dig, the more stuff like what Sky is doing bothers me, because you just can't outperform people that much and do it clean, and you also can't just come out of nowhere and do it either. Cycling is too difficult of a sport and the talent levels are just too similar.

What about with high cadence, lazer like focus, weighing your food, and just downright hard work?:rolleyes:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Froome says he's just having a bit of fun:eek: its pure comedy gold ..!

These guy's are taking the micky.. Rico might want to get a spot on their team.

I'm looking forward to stage 12 tomorrow. Christian Knees is going to shred the peloton to pieces on Grand Cucheron, before being left behind picking up bottles for Eisel and Cavendish. Richie Porte will shake the tree once more on Granier, then guiding Rogers, Boasson Hagen, Froome and Wiggins safely down the descent. On the flat, the five Sky riders will use the echelons to get rid of the final opponents, doing a 100 K TTT, delivering Boasson Hagen at the foot of the last climb, where he'll take off for a solo win. Froome and Wiggins will do a couple of trackstands a la Contador/Schleck 2010 - for entertainment purpose - before passing the finish line hand in hand with Rogers and Porte.

That's teamwork!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I can be pretty damned confident about it. I was confident with Stephen Schumacher. Same with Ricco and Armstrong and Indurain. We have seen this farce too many times.

Forget Wiggins. Rogers is the tell.

Agreed and not. Pharmstrong was unreal from the 1st second i noticed him in 1999. I remember it as if it was yesterday: He´ll be a one year wonder who already was caught. So i didn´t give a $hit about him. I was sure he either dies soon from cancer or gets a life time ban when caught again. Well i was wrong. I still wait for justice.

When Indurain came from nowhere, i stopped watching cycling for 6 years (until Ullrich 1997). I knew something was unreal.

Ricco & Schumacher (or Kohl) i didn´t see it coming.

Anyway, Sky has riders who performed before (even tough some doping assisted, but who wasn´t ?).

They have a pretty good line up. I mean WIGGINS, FROOME, KNEES, PORTE, ROGERS and SIVTSOV all finished high on GT-CG´s before, and the numbers from Tucker don´t show unreal performances. So i am not convinced that they are on a special or better program than others. And HAGEN is one of the bigger talents in the peloton, we shall not forget.

I think we should expect teams with a high payroll to perform better than other teams.

I know i was very sceptical after last saturday, but after reading Tucker and knowing more about bilharzia, i am convinced that they are no more suspect than any other team.

mortand said:
I'm looking forward to stage 12 tomorrow. Christian Knees is going to shred the peloton to pieces on Grand Cucheron, before being left behind picking up bottles for Eisel and Cavendish. Richie Porte will shake the tree once more on Granier, then guiding Rogers, Boasson Hagen, Froome and Wiggins safely down the descent. On the flat, the five Sky riders will use the echelons to get rid of the final opponents, doing a 100 K TTT, delivering Boasson Hagen at the foot of the last climb, where he'll take off for a solo win.

Seems likely to me given the way Froome shot off the front of the GC group today.

What is different this time around is the limited use of ridiculous explanations. It seems Sky didn't get Eurosport's commentators on the payroll to dream up junk. They missed an opportunity there.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Agreed and not. Pharmstrong was unreal from the 1st second i noticed him in 1999. I remember it as if it was yesterday: He´ll be a one year wonder who already was caught. So i didn´t give a $hit about him. I was sure he either dies soon from cancer or gets a life time ban when caught again. Well i was wrong. I still wait for justice.

When Indurain came from nowhere, i stopped watching cycling for 6 years (until Ullrich 1997). I knew something was unreal.

Ricco & Schumacher (or Kohl) i didn´t see it coming.

Anyway, Sky has riders who performed before (even tough some doping assisted, but who wasn´t ?).

They have a pretty good line up. I mean WIGGINS, FROOME, KNEES, PORTE, ROGERS and SIVTSOV all finished high on GT-CG´s before, and the numbers from Tucker don´t show unreal performances. So i am not convinced that they are on a special or better program than others. And HAGEN is one of the bigger talents in the peloton, we shall not forget.

I think we should expect teams with a high payroll to perform better than other teams.

I know i was very sceptical after last saturday, but after reading Tucker and knowing more about bilharzia, i am convinced that they are no more suspect than any other team.

Same here. I stopped following cycling during the Indurain, Chiapucci and Rominger years. Up until that time, cycling talent manifested itself very early. Then all of the sudden, these second tier riders began dominating. I remember Rominger's explanation. It was his allergies for his hitherto poor performance!

I found this photo of Sky and Evans doing some training races in Tenerife:

skyEvans.png