• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The stage is being set

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
HelmutRoole said:
Events? You know they only watch one: the Tour Day France.

How daft of me. I forgot all they watched was Lance prance round France. Do you think they are like his children, whom reportedly asked in Paris, "daddy why is that man wearing your jersey?" Some people just don't understand that you have to beat the best to be in yellow. Even in California. Levi wins, courtesy of his agreement to bust his behind off for the Boss in France. Only win the Shack is guaranteed, unless Kloden wins something in an odd ITT like last season.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
How long are the ToC climbs this year?

Longish. Levi helped on input for some stages. Apparently going up some monster climb to BigBear, the ski resort. Might make the event watchable if Saxo send Frank and Cancellara like last year.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Lance hasn't won a pro tour stage or event in 5 years. Nice way to crack a joke. Fanboys, you gotta love em for their jokes. Hint, drop the over zealous patriotism and try and watch cycling events with your biased blinkers off.

Bruyneel's program still hasn't lost a TDF. It was only the 2006 TDF that they didn't win and that's because they were not on the full program, otherwise Hincapie would have won that year. They should have lost to Rasmussen in 2007, but that was taken care of.

quarterpounder said:
Bruyneel's program still hasn't lost a TDF. It was only the 2006 TDF that they didn't win and that's because they were not on the full program, otherwise Hincapie would have won that year. They should have lost to Rasmussen in 2007, but that was taken care of.
What happened in 2008? The Hog couldn't pull any strings to get an invite?

quarterpounder said:

The big unknown. Unlike some people here I'll celebrate Lance losing in 2010 after the final TT and not before.

quarterpounder said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You realize that the 'full' program, + another 10%, would never net Hincapie the win? Or were you joking?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

Forget about Hincapie.

I wonder what happened with them (Discovery) in 2006, they had at least two excellent climbers-Popovych and Azevedo and yet failed big time with no apparent reason. How come? Why the "full" program wasn't provided to riders?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
Forget about Hincapie.

I wonder what happened with them (Discovery) in 2006, they had at least two excellent climbers-Popovych and Azevedo and yet failed big time with no apparent reason. How come? Why the "full" program wasn't provided to riders?

Popovych doesn't seem to cope well with leadership pressure, not to mention chronic consistency issues. His form varies wildly from season to season.

As for Azevedo, after his 5th place in 2004, he was declining steadily. 2005 was worse. 2006 was a lot worse. 2007 was awful and 2008 was beyond awful. He was getting dropped by sprinters.

Delicato said:
Forget about Hincapie.

I have always suspected that when Fuentes was busted a similar operation in Spain may have feared they were next and dumped their stored blood that included DIsco's supplies, or maybe Fuentes main office in the Canary Islands dumped its supplies. Disco's perofrmance in 2006 was bizarre when compared to the previous years. The team could barely climb a speed bump. Leipheimer suffered a similar loss in ability.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
The big unknown. Unlike some people here I'll celebrate Lance losing in 2010 after the final TT and not before.

Come on, you know you want to celebrate earlier. Means you can focus on the real race and not the Phil and Paul commentary on the duel that never eventuates.

On a serious note, if the Alps and Pyrenees play out like tactics and strategy dictate they will (Contador loves to attack and doesn't have to go slower this year to help teammates) then you won't have to wait till the ITT.

By the way, what constitutes losing? Lance not winning? Lance not podiuming? Lance not making the top 5? I'd recommend the last one. But that's me. He makes the top 5, then he's done well.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I have always suspected that when Fuentes was busted a similar operation in Spain may have feared they were next and dumped their stored blood that included DIsco's supplies, or maybe Fuentes main office in the Canary Islands dumped its supplies. Disco's perofrmance in 2006 was bizarre when compared to the previous years. The team could barely climb a speed bump. Leipheimer suffered a similar loss in ability.

Leipheimer's performance in 2006 was similar to Evans in 2009. Both did very well in the Dauphine, and had a disastrous TdF (the first indication being the time-trial).

I also think the reasons are similar: Mis-timed the top form a bit, and spent too much energy in the Dauphiné. Perhaps some signs of illness during the first days of the tour, which only get worse as the days go on. Evans was reportedly coughing up a lot of slime after every stage, and I remember reading that Leipheimer had diharrea. Ofcourse, these stories may or may not be true. Finally, there was probably much frustration after the first time-trial.

I don't think they were doping any more or less than their successfull years.

jonjungel said:
Leipheimer's performance in 2006 was similar to Evans in 2009. Both did very well in the Dauphine, and had a disastrous TdF (the first indication being the time-trial).

I also think the reasons are similar: Mis-timed the top form a bit, and spent too much energy in the Dauphiné. Perhaps some signs of illness during the first days of the tour, which only get worse as the days go on. Evans was reportedly coughing up a lot of slime after every stage, and I remember reading that Leipheimer had diharrea. Ofcourse, these stories may or may not be true. Finally, there was probably much frustration after the first time-trial.

Leipheimer or Evans can be explained by sickness or a mistimed peak, but that does not explain the entire Disco team's collapse during the 2006 TdF. They went from being able to ride the entire peloton into the ground for seven years to an embarassment, as though a switch had been flipped.

Leipheimer's drop in form is suspicious because it occurred at the same time Disco's performance dropped, he came from Postal/Disco, and went back to the team the following year, where his performance shot up to new heights at an age when he should be on the decline.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:

Evans also did very well in 2007 and 2008 in the Dauphine yet it didn't prevent him from reaching the podium in Tour Day France

Galic Ho said:
Come on, you know you want to celebrate earlier. Means you can focus on the real race and not the Phil and Paul commentary on the duel that never eventuates.

On a serious note, if the Alps and Pyrenees play out like tactics and strategy dictate they will (Contador loves to attack and doesn't have to go slower this year to help teammates) then you won't have to wait till the ITT.

By the way, what constitutes losing? Lance not winning? Lance not podiuming? Lance not making the top 5? I'd recommend the last one. But that's me. He makes the top 5, then he's done well.

I just mean that everyone seems to be dismissing his chances already, despite knowing that he'll have the most high-powered doping regime possible, a team of decent GC riders that will also have the high-powered dope and that will be loyal, and most importantly all the right friends. This is the one rider that you know can do what he likes and will never be busted for doping. For me, losing = not winning, and every year until he retires again I will settle for him losing by 1sec after the ITT and won't celebrate before that.

Delicato said:
Evans also did very well in 2007 and 2008 in the Dauphine yet it didn't prevent him from reaching the podium in Tour Day France

Is that a dig at Bob Roll, because he calls it the Tour Day France all the time and it really irks me. I'm always thinking in my head 'just say it properly and don't mention Lance, you tool'

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
I just mean that everyone seems to be dismissing his chances already, despite knowing that he'll have the most high-powered doping regime possible, a team of decent GC riders that will also have the high-powered dope and that will be loyal, and most importantly all the right friends. This is the one rider that you know can do what he likes and will never be busted for doping. For me, losing = not winning, and every year until he retires again I will settle for him losing by 1sec after the ITT and won't celebrate before that.

Fair enough then. I think he'll need all of it to not lose 5 minutes by the end of the Alps.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Interesting thread. Yes, Zabriskie is a potential GT contender. He's demonstrated the ability to climb with high finishes at races like Dauphine.

It should be interesting to see if he can challenge Shack at California. I haven't had a good look at the map...is the climbing tough enough to crack Dave Z or will it come down to the chrono?

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Let's bring this one back. I sort of changed my mind about Zabriskie after reading the full article and the peaking for Tour of California thing.

But I was sure Garmin would have a new surprise GC man and now we know it's Hesjedal.

So this will almost certainly be the result of the TDF:

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Contador
4. Hesjedal

Same as I said 5 months ago except for the Zabriskie to Hesjedal change.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
So this will almost certainly be the result of the TDF:

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Contador
4. Hesjedal

Same as I said 5 months ago except for the Zabriskie to Hesjedal change.

Yeah ok, great prediction there bud. Two of the four won't be in the top 10. The big question really is IS LA man enough to ride domestique for LL or does he quit tomorrow because of his "injuries?"