• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The stage is being set

Jukebox said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zabriskie-ready-for-captaincy-at-garmin-transitions

They figured out his food allergies, upped his confidence, worked on his mental game. Do we see a huge leap in the future, due to physiological improvements of course?

Rice cakes, baby. It's all down to rice cakes.

Garmin must have hired the sorriest bunch of pros in the whole sport. It seems like every one of their riders has an allergy, carbohydrate processing problem, or mental issue--often all three.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah right now it looks like it's going to be:

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Contador
4. Zabriskie

or

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Zabriskie
4. Contador

BroDeal said:

Garmin must have hired the sorriest bunch of pros in the whole sport. It seems like every one of their riders has an allergy, carbohydrate processing problem, or mental issue--often all three.

And the last one is the kicker, isn't it. You can solve the other two issues to make the first big jump in performance, but always pull the 'mental issue' ticket whenever the form dives! And doesn't kinda seem funny that there are all these riders who made it to high level pro with mental issues? :p

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The first thing he needed was a security system at his house. After his burglary he said he couldn't concentrate. Needs to ride for another team, way too many"leaders" on his current one. If he really does have good form he can beat Levi. Z's TT skills are great. If he really is highly allergic to all the stuff mentioned he should probably stop racing. Hep B and C are in road water run off. Sounds like if he gets the wrong feed during a race he could die. Being super fragile and racing as a pro don't mix.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

so, can we expect to see Zabriskie on the podium, if he steps up to a Wiggins type 2009 program.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
most humans have food allergies to some degree but geeze if i had to give up both beef and dairy i would not be pleased. most pros are calcium deficient and anemic enough as it is lol.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Garmin really have this schizophrenic oscillation in their interviews. They say how they were underperforming because of Emergency Ward cases, then they delineated the solutions, and speculated on the future successes.

I reckon Public Strategies and StrongArm in Austin Texas would be proud how they learnt from the best.

blackcat said:
so, can we expect to see Zabriskie on the podium, if he steps up to a Wiggins type 2009 program.

As long as Garmin crushes Wiggins, I'll be happy.

Zabriskie said:
"My body is super sensitive. I’m the worst one on the team and you name it, I’m allergic to it – all dairies, oregano, basil, garlic, beef, pineapple, strawberries, sprouts, beans, sardines, a lot of fishes, the list goes on. I’ve never even know about this stuff and it could make a difference."

One thing is for sure. Zabriskie won't have problems losing weight. There is hardly any food he is not allergic to.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I just can't see a cyclist winning consistently at the PT level with an "aw shucks" attitude, or in most sports for that matter.

"It would be nice, wouldn’t it? But it’s up to me to make that happen. It’s cool that Jonathan has that belief and in me. I take it seriously, for sure, it’s just not that easy to do. I’ll try though."

Sounds like Tommy D's disease, "golly, I'll sure try."

Can anybody imagine Payton Manning approaching the Superbowl this way?

"If you don't [draft me], I promise you I'll come back and kick your *** for the next 15 years." - PM to Colts GM Bill Polian who was on the fence between him and Ryan Leaf.

I hope Dave Z proves me wrong, but I think I'd rather have the a-hole leading my team once and while.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
All Dave needs are some meat and potatoes and some Marvel Action figurs to win tour. I thought California was Levis' to lose.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Contador and Schleck won't be riding California.:rolleyes:

Geez, I thought all those guys going to Nevada City was gonna be huge... but he was talking about the ToC.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
After wiggins and vandevelde, zabriskie knows he is the talent on the team and is now ready to step up to the big boys program.
Honestly, I'm expecting a season like last, When the big boys come out to TT he'll be around the top 10, and he'll be great support in the mountains, nothing more.

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
When all all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

To Vaughters, diet and mental state are his hammers.

They used to be all about core temperature too, but that's really Lim's hammer, so it's Lance's problem now.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
Yeah right now it looks like it's going to be:

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Contador
4. Zabriskie

or

1. Armstrong
2. A. Schleck
3. Zabriskie
4. Contador

Lance hasn't won a pro tour stage or event in 5 years. Nice way to crack a joke. Fanboys, you gotta love em for their jokes. Hint, drop the over zealous patriotism and try and watch cycling events with your biased blinkers off.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Lance hasn't won a pro tour stage or event in 5 years. Nice way to crack a joke. Fanboys, you gotta love em for their jokes. Hint, drop the over zealous patriotism and try and watch cycling events with your biased blinkers off.
Events? You know they only watch one: the Tour Day France.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
HelmutRoole said:
Events? You know they only watch one: the Tour Day France.

picard-facepalm.jpg

BOB ROLL gets a Picard facepalm

How long are the ToC climbs this year?

TRENDING THREADS