• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The stars of the Tour 2008 must tremble"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
"It's only cheating if they catch the drugs on you"
- Marco Pantani

Bala Verde said:
they would be retesting the top 10 (and more?) in September. So I guess it's postponed till October now huh..

They announced at the time that in late September/early October they would start testing 15 riders, all of them top 20, plus ten Dam. Menchov and Evans have been confirmed as two of the ones being re-tested.

I remind you that the ones being re-tested are those that presented suspicious blood values indicative of blood manipulation. The reason they're being re-tested is due to the new, more efficient, EPO test that's been around since May (notice the large number of positives since then compared to the near absence of positives before). It's also the first test that can detect Dynepo.

Isso, you have misread once again. McQuaid + doping agency both expressively emitted the testing was not because of suspicious values like in the first press reports (where you base yourself on), but a general retest of the top riders in that Tour.

Funny you always base yourself on not corrected versions or older versions of certain news articles.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
They announced at the time that in late September/early October they would start testing 15 riders, all of them top 20, plus ten Dam. Menchov and Evans have been confirmed as two of the ones being re-tested.

I remind you that the ones being re-tested are those that presented suspicious blood values indicative of blood manipulation. The reason they're being re-tested is due to the new, more efficient, EPO test that's been around since May (notice the large number of positives since then compared to the near absence of positives before). It's also the first test that can detect Dynepo.

I found the 'original article' here and, quickly glancing over it, they only mention:

"Im September", sagt AFLD-Sprecherin Delphine Saint-Laurent, "werden etwa 15 Proben der Tour 2008 auf das Epo-Mittel Cera nachuntersucht.

So it's not the top 10 or 15, but 15 riders selected, probably based on suspicious blood values or performance? Menchov, Ten Dam, Evans had been asked before the 2009 start that their 2008 samples would be retested, correct?

Wie jedoch die belgische Tageszeitung Le Soir Ende September 2008 unter Verweis auf "seriöse Quellen" gemeldet hatte, soll es sich bei den weiteren auffälligen Tourstartern um den damaligen Sieger Carlos Sastre, den Schweizer Fabian Cancellara, den Luxemburger Frank Schleck und den Australier Stuart O'Grady gehandelt haben - allesamt vom CSC-Team (jetzt Saxo) um den umstrittenen Chef Bjarne Riis.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Isso, you have misread once again. McQuaid + doping agency both expressively emitted the testing was not because of suspicious values like in the first press reports (where you base yourself on), but a general retest of the top riders in that Tour.

Funny you always base yourself on not corrected versions or older versions of certain news articles.

The AFLD ordered the testing, so I'll believe Bordry and not McQuaid, thank you very much

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Menchov, Ten Dam, Evans had been asked before the 2009 start that their 2008 samples would be retested, correct?

Yes. The reason those particular riders needed to be asked is that the samples remaining weren't already separated into B samples, so they had to be asked for permission to split each sample into 2 so as to form an A and B sample :)

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
yes i want the cheats found out. but why the waiting. the uci/afld messy decisions are like eating indian food out of an unflushed toilet bowl

more bad press for biking.

solution. one multi national governing body with teeth.
the structure of the national testing bodies remain but with independent central control

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
are like eating indian food out of an unflushed toilet bowl

Mods! Arrest him!

Man that's just so disgusting it's hilarious.

This retesting stuff is actually good science. New test? Well lets use old samples that passed the old testing protocol and see if we get different results.

Of course it also probably has a lot of riders needing one of Zebriske's sports-nappies (due to involuntary auto-defecation).

As far as why certain people are being tested? I think that testing pretty much the entire top 20 plus one other person suggests that they are routine or at least most of the tests are routine. If they were just of people who were posting suspicious blood values then surely there would be a few stage winners in there? Ok, if people are taking drugs then you would imagine they would end up in the top 20 but having such a cut-off makes me think they cant all be suspicious. We'll see:)

Ferminal said:
Surely they can't bust anyone "big", even though they are reportedly only testing a handful of key riders. If they busted one of the top 5, why that rider and not the next?

Maybe they will go for Valverde and kill two birds.

Well, only one may test positive for what they are testing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
so who is gonna go down?

i’ll start..

sastre no yes no yes no
menchov no yes no yes
evans no yes no no
vdv no no no no
kirchen no yes no yes
astarloza yes yes yes yes again again again
SCHUMACHER again and again and again
fschleck no????yes????
ashleck no????yes????
nibali ??????????????

and another thought. if they announce the same intention (retro testing of 2009 samples for autologous infusion) some dinosaurs from texas may re-retire before the tour down under 2010 gets underway:p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
python said:
so who is gonna go down?

i’ll start..

sastre no yes no yes no
evans no yes no no
vdv no no no no

Euh, WTF?
Evans and Sastre are 2 riders who most people believe are clean. VDV has a pretty shady team history (USP, Saiz, Riis). And he's the only guy yo no no no no no?!?

I love speculation so I'll say:
sastre: no
menchov: yes
evans: no
vdv: yes
kirchen: yes
astarloza: yes
SCHUMACHER: yes
fschleck: yes
ashleck: don't want to think about it ;)
nibali: Italian

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Euh, WTF?
Evans and Sastre are 2 riders who most people believe are clean. VDV has a pretty shady team history (USP, Saiz, Riis). And he's the only guy yo no no no no no?!?

I love speculation so I'll say:
astarloza: yes
SCHUMACHER: yes
fschleck: yes
ashleck: don't want to think about it ;)
nibali: Italian

Ha ha.... totally agree.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Ive heard before that it is due to the labs being busy with various other tests. Not sure how true this is but it sounds plausible

What?! Ashenden says when new tests are developed they try them on already tested samples, perfect way to test two testing protocols. jeez elementary science there.

astarloza: no
SCHUMACHER: breaks the machine
fschleck: no
ashleck: no!!!
nibali: no

I can dream anyway.

BTW they can only retest whoever the Tour organisers tested in the first place, i.e. top GC men, top 3 of each stage and random tests.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Or maybe Evans will get caught now. Leaving us with Kolobnev as world champ

Man, you really are bitter about your fancy little hero getting exposed, aren't you?

TRENDING THREADS