• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tom Simpson True Story

This thread is a sequel from the "Where will History place ..." thread.

So many lies have been told surrounded Simpson's death that I think it was time for a point of order.

Tom Simpson was a courageous rider who, on a bike, could push the limits of pain very far.

He already showed it in Paris-Roubaix 1960. He made 50 minute long solo before fatigue took him with 5 km to go, leaving Pino Cerami win the classic at age 37 at a record average speed (cobbles were rarer at that time). Simpson made a name for himself because it was the first race that was broadcast live on TV with a mobile cam on motorbikes.

One year later he won the Tour of Flanders beating the very fast Nino Defilippis in the sprint. What wasn't said on a tv program by Canvas was that Defilippis was deceived about where the finish line truly lay, since the finish banner was blown away by the wind.

However, in 1965, he showed he had some great sprinting skills by beating Rudi Altig to become World Champion in San Sebastian.

And one year earlier he would outsprint Poulidor in Milan Sanremo. Poulidor attacked on the Capo Berta, instigating a four man breakaway but only Tom could follow him on the Poggio. Poulidor was for once second and not third !

But Simpson's most impressive wins were Bordeaux-Paris 1963 with "La grande manière" said L'Équipe (6 minutes ahead of the second) - He was also the strongest in 1965 but decided to favour Anquetil's win and get his wallet full - and the Tour of Lombardy in 1965 with the rainbow jersey on, 3 minutes ahead of Gerben Karstens. He attacked in the Schignano with 40km to go. Motta was the last who could follow him while the year before, Simpson was the last who accompanied Motta in the Intelvi with 25km to go.

In the off season 65/66, he spent some holidays in the Alps with Jan Janssen and team mate Ferdinand Bracke among others and got a ski accident. He could only be back in 1967 at Paris-Nice, which he won with the help of young team mate Merckx. But his spring classics session was very disappointing and he decided to sign a fruitful contract with Gimondi's Salvarani. He could have been a luxury team mate for the latter. But there was a clause in the contract which said he should finish the Tour of France.

What happened on July 13 1967 is this?

Simpson had been ill for a few days. It was exceptionally hot. He hadn't drunk alcohol like has been said too often. His team mate Colin Lewis said he actually took little sips from a bottle of Cognac that he handed to him and then threw it away because he knew he shouldn't drink from it.

He was very close to the top, collapsed a first time but was put back on his bike by his mechanic. This episode is quite known so I won't come back to it.

He then collapsed a second and last time a hundred meters further.

It wasn't an exceptional case, argued Geminiani in Mes quatre vérités. Other riders were marked by pain and got over it.

What killed Simpson were the bad treatment that he received after the collapse. Dr Dumas - official Tour doctor who according to Aimar was no doctor but a kinesist - put him on the stones and did not auscultate him. If he had he would have known it was a heart collapse and hence required different treatment than those he gave, argued Pr Decourt from the "faculté de médecine de Paris" according to Geminiani. The Professor studied thoroughly the Simpson case.

He realized Dumas made 3 mistakes:

- The head was higher than the heart. It should have been the other way round in order for the blood to irrigate the brains.

- He should have injected adrenalin to start the machine again.

- Simpson should have been laid STILL, while he was moved around to be taken by the heli but a corpse arrived at the hospital.

Pr Decourt also added that nobody normally dies from heart collapse. And nobody dies of amphetamines.

The first autopsy said Simpson died of a heart attack due to the extreme effort and the heath. But amphetamines were found in his blood. A bargain !
That could have masked the irresponsability of all those who badly treated him.

The evidence that Simpson did not die of amphetamine is clear from the fact that Simpson subscribed to a life-insurance at the benefit of his wife, to the Lord's Bank.

His widow naturally wanted to get after his death but the insurance agents were reluctant to it because there was a clause that says it doesn't hold in case of suicide and excess of amphetamine is considered suicide.

Mrs Simpson was forced to have another autopsy that would prove he died of heart collapse (4 lines in the newspapers at the bottom of the page). Of course, she eventually was entitled to her life-insurance and won every trial against the newspapers who claimed her husband died of doping.

I hate those lies that hurt you so bad, and that hurt cycling so bad.

It's high time we stopped with the black legend of Tom Simpson and realized he was just a courageous rider who could suffer very hard on his bike, period. May he now rest in peace !

Echoes said:
And nobody dies of amphetamines.

Oh, people do die of amphetamine consumption with chronic and/or high doses.

The evidence that Simpson did not die of amphetamine is clear from the fact that Simpson subscribed to a life-insurance at the benefit of his wife, to the Lord's Bank.

His widow naturally wanted to get after his death but the insurance agents were reluctant to it because there was a clause that says it doesn't hold in case of suicide and excess of amphetamine is considered suicide.

But you are assuming Tom knew that an excess of amphetamines is considered suicide, which he might not have known. I personally find it very hard to believe he refrained from taking amphetamines while racing lest he died and it was ruled he had killed himself. It is a quite absurd argument that of considering someone has committed suicide while riding a Tour de France stage...

I doubt anyone thinks Simpson died of an overdose and that's that. But I also find it hard to believe that the drugs found in his body didn't play a part in his heart failure and this in his death.

I don't think he took more amphetamines than any other top rider of his time, he was just unfortunate enough it cost him his life.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
your understanding of amphetamines are wrong yes they can kill and yes they would exasperate dehydration and heart function in a hot mountain race no doubt. he would not have died if amphetamines were not involved sorry reality.
amphetamines override fatigue and pain signals which your body sends to keep you from hurting yourself in extreme physical efforts or going long periods without sleep its a safety system. forcing you to slow or stop whatever your doing to overwhelm the body. meaning on amphetamines a person can push themselves into the danger zone without knowing it. i have used them and know the effects. also i know people who have had heart failure and died directly from amphetamine usage as did simpson.

I'd like some not to attribute to me comments that I quoted.

This is what Pr Decourt exactly said:

"Amphetamine couldn't cause Tom Simpson's death. Amphetamine is a remarkably little poisonous medecine. I don't know of any human death case that can be attributed to it."

Please, say what you want but not that it comes from me.

OK Decourt worked for a famous pharmaceutic group.

The fact remains that Mrs Simpson got her life-insurance and that he was poorly treated on the spot.

Enough to convince me.

Okay I will get abuse here but this is my honest opinion. I genuinely do not understand the obsession and eulogising that goes on towards Tom Simpson by the fans and the riders. Of course it's sad what happened - for his family and friends. I am not talking denying that for one second. But the guy was taking enough drugs those last couple of years to sink a ship. He now seems to be a kind of martyr and I honestly do not understand it. Are we supposed to admire this as if he's some kind of hero?

Note: to the OP even if we accept what was said, that amphetamines was not the root cause on that day, surely we cannot discount the abuse over a cummulative length of time.

Digger said:
... But the guy was taking enough drugs those last couple of years to sink a ship. He now seems to be a kind of martyr and I honestly do not understand it. Are we supposed to admire this as if he's some kind of hero?

Note: to the OP even if we accept what was said, that amphetamines was not the root cause on that day, surely we cannot discount the abuse over a cummulative length of time.

Agree.

1. Retelling Simpson's story may be part of a longer popular opinion trend where PED's are rationalized. Don't take my comment any further than an observation. One way to alter opinion is to find something to agree upon, then start wearing down the opposition.

2. The argument that amphetamines didn't kill Simpson is a distraction equivalent to the NRA phrase, "guns don't kill people. People kill people." Which any sensible person *has* to agree with. See the trick? The logic is a failure, so disagree from now on.

The reality is if the consequences for taking PED's were serious when combined with other factors, a dead Tom Simpson at the TdF would have been avoided.

Tom Simpson . . . Eddy Merckx

Simpson, the doper, is a polarizing figure.
Merckx, the doper, is a cycling god.
Both are legends.

It doesn't make any sense, but there it is. In the end, the reverence you hold for your cycling heroes is a matter of personal taste.

MarkvW said:
Both are legends.

It doesn't make any sense, but there it is. In the end, the reverence you hold for your cycling heroes is a matter of personal taste.

I see what you're saying - however there is a big big difference in the talents of both. One of the reasons Tom went so mad on PEDs was due to not having it in the Grand Tours. When Merckx is treated as a God, he has an awful lot to show for. The same can#t exactly be said for Simpson.
People seem to celebrate Simpson - but for what?

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Clear blue sky in early feb with only the 100m of road past this monument covered with snow .
montventoux

Glad to see the reality of Tom's death being dragged out from under all the "Hype "!
This thread revealed a few facts that i had been unaware of until now .

Edit was to try to put photo up but you can find it on skippi-cyclist.blogspot /mont ventoux if it continues to hide !

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm aware Tom Simpson's death is a combination of factors.

Illness during the tour. Hot day in Provence with the ridiculous two bottle rule. The drugs that he took. Alcohol that was stolen from bars along the was. Poor medical treatment on the mountain side. And finally Simpson just not giving up pushing himself too far.

Yes drugs paid a part but it was not the only factor and maybe not even the primary one.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Treated statements made as facts , but then all that appears in the forum are only opinions , RIGHT?
Spent last week at the Trentino so if anyone is interested in my "facts" go check tourdafrance.blogspot
Expect to get to the Romandie in the next days on the way to the Giro in Torino .
Anyone know if the women's ITT will be run on Saturday or where i look other than UCIless site ?

skippy said:
Treated statements made as facts , but then all that appears in the forum are only opinions , RIGHT?
Spent last week at the Trentino so if anyone is interested in my "facts" go check tourdafrance.blogspot
Expect to get to the Romandie in the next days on the way to the Giro in Torino .
Anyone know if the women's ITT will be run on Saturday or where i look other than UCIless site ?

So I'll take that as a 'no" on the link...

I tend to agree with all the level headed people in this thread - drugs might not be the only reason he died on that mountain, but it was most definitely a contributing factor. The earth might not be completely spherical, but it's most definitely not flat either...

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
I'd like some not to attribute to me comments that I quoted.

This is what Pr Decourt exactly said:

"Amphetamine couldn't cause Tom Simpson's death. Amphetamine is a remarkably little poisonous medecine. I don't know of any human death case that can be attributed to it."

Please, say what you want but not that it comes from me.

OK Decourt worked for a famous pharmaceutic group.

The fact remains that Mrs Simpson got her life-insurance and that he was poorly treated on the spot.

Enough to convince me.

oh ok fair enough well in that case (**** bird) doctors opinion is of epic delusion and was said many years ago based not on reality either through actual beliefs or monetary gain/protection regardless amusing none the less.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Both are legends.

i love them both. what we forget is the mental toughness what its all about in all facets of human ability genetic talent is a lottery which i have no respect for. but i love the human who never gives up and works it. thats beauty in sport imo the epic champions have both at will.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Califer Hill said:
As far as I'm aware Tom Simpson's death is a combination of factors.

Illness during the tour. Hot day in Provence with the ridiculous two bottle rule. The drugs that he took. Alcohol that was stolen from bars along the was. Poor medical treatment on the mountain side. And finally Simpson just not giving up pushing himself too far.

Yes drugs paid a part but it was not the only factor and maybe not even the primary one.

well put i agree....