• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Top 50 Under 23 Riders of 2010

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Fiery desired, long forged, sweat soaked and yet finally finished. The Mock List 2010, the seventh of its kind. Like all prior this edition as well has been extended in scale:

The – according to us – 50 best U23 cyclist were wormed into a ranking and provided with short (50 to 31) and long (30 to 1) articles. Fot the first time ever the Mock List is published bilingually. For the first time in years we also adjusted the head of the articles. A total of eleven people, living in seven different countries, worked at the Mock List.

For everybody who wondered how the ranking comes into being, here is a short introduction:

The seven writing team members have independently from each other each nominated 20 cyclists. Because we restricted the ranking to 50 cyclists two cyclists had to be erased.

The amount of nominations is the criterion for the riders placing in the ranking (5 nominations > 4 > 3…). Cyclists with the same amount of nominations were put into an subjective ranking by each of the writing team members. Out of this classification the Mock List 2010 emerged from a mathematically, pedagogically and probably even anthropologically valuable calculation.

The Team
Previous Editions

>>>> ranking 50 - 41
>>>> ranking 40 - 31

The Top 30 follow within the next three days.

Very very interesting,

Who will get number 1 this year. I think Henao (9th last year) definately deserves it but i feart it will go to Sagan.

Looking at previous editions they dont always work out.

How on earth did Andy Schleck not make the top 10 in 07 when he came 2nd in a brutal giro, coming 3rd on the Zoncolan.

For those who dont want to go looking through the links here is a quick list of who came first.

04 Dekker
05 Kai Reus
06 Grabovsky (Gesink 2nd)
07 EBH
08 Coen Vermeltfoort
09 Rasmus Guldhammer

Looks like the bias towards Dutch in cycling isnt limited to these forums:rolleyes:
Bauke Mollema appears a few time so maybe he shouldnt be seen as such a joke

Tony Martin appears top 5 in about 3 additions.

The Hitch said:
Who will get number 1 this year. I think Henao (9th last year) definately deserves it but i feart it will go to Sagan.

Looking at previous editions they dont always work out.

How on earth did Andy Schleck not make the top 10 in 07 when he came 2nd in a brutal giro, coming 3rd on the Zoncolan.
Because pros are not u-23, despite being under 23. Thus Sagan is not qualified this year.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Don't take these rankings at face value guys. Don't mull on a rider being higher than another.
Take the entire list as a rough guide of who's promising and likely to make it/be any good :)

Like in any sport, there are guys right now who everyone is sure will be stars who are going to end up being crap or average......and there are guys who everyone thinks are crap (and are) who will be stars.
A rider's development is a lottery. So take it with a grain of salt and appreciate the effort of the people who contributed to this article.

That said, for the sake of the discussion, I don't really have a problem with the dutch riders who topped the rankings (Vermeltfoort was a bit forced, though). Guldhammer topping the 09 ranking is the really mind boggling one for me.

??
The CQ ranking has 0.00000 to do with this.

I don't see how a simple points ranking for professional races can be better or worse than something completely different (defining best U23 riders which are not full professionals yet...)

So, your comment makes no sense at all

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
??
The CQ ranking has 0.00000 to do with this.

I don't see how a simple points ranking for professional races can be better or worse than something completely different (defining best U23 riders which are not full professionals yet...)

So, your comment makes no sense at all

compared to the lists, CQ is better.

But you are right. it is hard to say who is the best U23 rider.

The CQ ranking says nothing about U23 category racing, since cat 1.2 and 2.2 and U23 races barely give any points for the CQ ranking, if at all.

So it says nothing about U23 riders who are not professional yet. So your comment makes no sense in this topic ;)

It's like being in a discussion about which is the best fruit (eg apple or banana). And you say pork meat is better than everything...

The Hitch said:
Im hoping Kwiatkowski has a future to spread the sport a bit in my country. Does anyone know what type of rider he is and what he can maybe expect in the future if he develops well? Climber? Lead out man? Cobbled rider?

Looks to be good in time trials and sprints and can get over hills well. Thing is he's only 20 so it's really hard to tell what his specialty will be.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Hmm, Phinney should still qualify for this right? If so then I can't see anyone being ranked higher than him.

Yeah, Phinney is qualified. It is riders from 1988 to 1991 without PT or PCT contract.

We usually publish the ranking before the world championships, so Tour de l'Avenir is not in the ranking because writing needs some time. The ranking isn't in the foreground. It's mainly about the presentation of the young riders.

The Hitch said:
04 Dekker
05 Kai Reus
06 Grabovsky (Gesink 2nd)
07 EBH
08 Coen Vermeltfoort
09 Rasmus Guldhammer

Looks like the bias towards Dutch in cycling isnt limited to these forums:rolleyes:
Bauke Mollema appears a few time so maybe he shouldnt be seen as such a joke
Well, Dekker and Reus really were major talents, the results speak for themselves... and it's sad the two biggest Dutch talents of the past decade are sidelined, for various reasons :p

So we're very happy to still have Mollema ;)

Hmmm... Seems clear to me at least the winner will either be Degenkolb or Phinney. Probably Phinney after he scalped Levi at the US ITT champs. Matthews would be a strong third i guess (although I guess there is an argument that he can be put above Degenkolb). Quintana and Romain Hardy to round out the Top-5... Maybe.

TRENDING THREADS