• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The truth about L.A

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Terminal Cyclist said:
He did it in a different way. He was still better than the rest during other years when blood transfusions were used by other teams during the tour, so i don't think you can nail it all down to that.

please-do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
In his first professional race in Europe he finished last, so far behind that everyone had gone home.

And that world championship was held in atrocious weather conditions where half the field dropped out before halfway. In Norway when its cold and rainy you can be sure most of the warm weather riders just thought "sod it, let's wait til next year". <edit>

Selective truth alert. Yes he famously finished last instead of abandoning. The next week he famously almost won the Championship of Zurich with second place.

As to the Worlds, yes only chumps like Miguel Indurain were there at the end.

Hold the position that Lance is a doper, OK that's reasonable. However, when you try to assert that Lance was a no-talent and then won because he doped, you become a bit silly.

@ TeamSkyFans: Thanks for the comment.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:
Selective truth alert. Yes he famously finished last instead of abandoning. The next week he famously almost won the Championship of Zurich with second place.

Hold the position that Lance is a doper, OK that's reasonable. However, when you try to assert that Lance was a no-talent and then won because he doped, you become a bit silly.

...these are the types of posts that rile up Armstrong supporters...as LeMond would say, this guy was good from the start...

At the age of 12, he began his sporting career as a swimmer at the City of Plano Swim Club and finished fourth in Texas state 1,500-meter freestyle. He stopped swimming after seeing a poster for a junior triathlon which he entered and won easily.

In the 1987–1988 Tri-Fed/Texas ("Tri-Fed" was the former name of USA Triathlon), Armstrong was the number one ranked triathlete in the 19-and-under group; second place was Chann McRae, who became a US Postal Service cycling teammate and the 2002 USPRO national champion. Armstrong's points total for 1987 as an amateur was better than the five professionals ranked that year. At 16, Armstrong became a professional triathlete and became national sprint-course triathlon champion in 1989 and 1990 at 18 and 19, respectively.

...i concur about the possibilities of doping but you have to really know nothing about Armstrong's professional career to insinuate that this guy never had any talent...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Lance Armstrong pre-cancer = Phil Gilbert (being generous). And Phil Gilbert doesn't even bother riding the Tour, never mind have delusions of transforming himself into a GT rider.

But then Gilbert is clean.

And to assume LA was clean pre-cancer is ludicrous. There are too many associated riders that knew his abilities as a junior, neo-pro on up to accept that. USA Cycling's national team had all riders tested prior to shipping them to any event where they might catch a positive. Several of them sat at home more than once. Tyler's now a banned rider, leaving two others on the Shack.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:

+1 on the whole post.

and on the bold part - those guys ARE silly.

No offense to the "no-talent" guys, but that is not a very knowledgeable stance. Sillier than a "no-dope" fanboy.

Heck, Lance was seriously tipped to be "The Next Greg LeMond" from day ONE. Even before his classics successes. Young Lance learned from Greg to focus on and shoot for the Tour de France. Started the TdF as a NEO-PRO!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
+1 on the whole post.

and on the bold part - those guys ARE silly.

No offense to the "no-talent" guys, but that is not a very knowledgeable stance. Sillier than a "no-dope" fanboy.

Heck, Lance was seriously tipped to be "The Next Greg LeMond" from day ONE. Even before his classics successes. Young Lance learned from Greg to focus on and shoot for the Tour de France. Started the TdF as a NEO-PRO!

Only by himself. Carmichael thought he was a loud-mouth and selected other riders as the team captains. I competed with the Natz team at a stage race ending in a final mountaintop finish. George H was an excellent climber and finished 3rd to a pro and another amateur. LA was nowhere to be found in the top 20. The next season LA is getting a spot on the TTT squad and not through Carmichael's tutelage. Chris saw a potential money maker and hitched his wagon to him.
Young Lance learned how to make the money.

money trail

Saw this on the front page here. So what does this mean? Landis' story doesn't fit? Or can the UCI be believed?

The President of the UCI Pat McQuaid has revealed that Lance Armstrong is the only rider ever to have made a donation to UCI and has admitted that in hindsight, the decision to accept $100,000 while the Texan was still racing was regrettable.

Speaking to the media for more than an hour at Plan des Corones before the finish of the Giro d'Italia time trial stage, McQuaid also revealed that he has asked the Canadian, Australian, Belgian and French national cycling federations to investigate the accusation made by Landis against Team Sky rider Michael Barry, Garmin-Transitions directeur sportif Matt White, RadioShack team manager Johan Bruyneel and BMC directeur sportif John Lelangue. McQuaid confirmed that Landis has also been placed under investigation by USA Cycling via USADA.

McQuaid presented a paper trail of letters from the Paris and Lausanne anti-doping labs, WADA and the Tour de Suisse organisers that he claims showed that Armstrong did not test positive for EPO in 2001 and so could never have attempted to bribe the UCI.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
vrusimov said:
...these are the types of posts that rile up Armstrong supporters...as LeMond would say, this guy was good from the start...

At the age of 12, he began his sporting career as a swimmer at the City of Plano Swim Club and finished fourth in Texas state 1,500-meter freestyle. He stopped swimming after seeing a poster for a junior triathlon which he entered and won easily.

In the 1987–1988 Tri-Fed/Texas ("Tri-Fed" was the former name of USA Triathlon), Armstrong was the number one ranked triathlete in the 19-and-under group; second place was Chann McRae, who became a US Postal Service cycling teammate and the 2002 USPRO national champion. Armstrong's points total for 1987 as an amateur was better than the five professionals ranked that year. At 16, Armstrong became a professional triathlete and became national sprint-course triathlon champion in 1989 and 1990 at 18 and 19, respectively.

...i concur about the possibilities of doping but you have to really know nothing about Armstrong's professional career to insinuate that this guy never had any talent...

Wow, Lance was a top Triathlete in the 80's?

Sorry, competing against lifeguards and wash up college runners does not make you a Pro

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
While I applaud the rhetorical stance of Pat McQuaid as per todays performance, (it's quite obvious that he has finally consulted with media-experts whose grasp of rhetoric clearly surpasses that of the average Irish hick), but it's also equally clear that when he states that "the UCI Biological Passport ensures that riders who take EPO won't get away with it any more", he is just completely out of touch with reality.

The title of this thread is "The truth about Lance Armstrong".

The real truth about LA is that he was doped to his gills, and the UCI turned a blind eye because he generated a lot of interest in the sport. Whether they "turned a blind eye" because all the dots hadn't been connected in a formally correct way, because they had accepted a $100.000 bribe, because they were disinterested in following up on all corroborative evidence not in sync with formal evidence or whatnot, because they turned a blind eye on account of a lot of politicians sporting the yellow bracelet and embracing "his story", my conclusion is that as of today I wouldn't pizz on him if he was on fire.

It's quite funny, really. Lance got rid of cancer, but made sure his sport didn't.
I really won't settle for anything less than a full confession/chemo for the sport I fell in love with as a kid, some 42 yrs ago. Lance has a personality big enough for confessing AND getting out of it with a minor road-rash only. If he wants to. Let me write his confession and I'll have you weeping.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I posted this link in the stickied links thread, but Sports Illustrated has delved into the matter and provided a few interesting bullet points on questions that may need to be addressed in order for there to be a federal case. In the article it says that Floyd texted a friend with the following prediction: "Big Tex is going to jail".

Anyone out there a Sopranos fan? Remember the term RICO predicates that Tony Soprano bounced around from time to time? Well, welcome Lance to the world of organized crime.

Sports Illustrated 'Big Trouble' Article.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
I posted this link in the stickied links thread, but Sports Illustrated has delved into the matter and provided a few interesting bullet points on questions that may need to be addressed in order for there to be a federal case. In the article it says that Floyd texted a friend with the following prediction: "Big Tex is going to jail".

Anyone out there a Sopranos fan? Remember the term RICO predicates that Tony Soprano bounced around from time to time? Well, welcome Lance to the world of organized crime.

This story just keeps getting more and more serious. Watching it unfold is seriously hurting my billable hours!

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
This story just keeps getting more and more serious. Watching it unfold is seriously hurting my billable hours!

It's had an impact on me too. Between this story and the Giro, my schoolwork since this story hit has been about as productive as Warren Beatty's respect for abstinence.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:

Mine, too. But I am writing contract boilerplate so, like an attorney; if I'm "thinking about it" I'm billing it as well. I'll deal with my concience after this is all over.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Being a Marine Biologist, the time I waste thinking about the Lance Case could be much better spent finishing articles for the Crustaceana Journal.

But anyway, what I want to know.....How did Lance get last-minute reservations at Nice's "La Petite Maison" earlier tonite? The waiting list there is months long I understand. Who did he have to bribe??

"Every night is a party at Nicole Rubi's superb restaurant La Petite Maison. The glittering celebrity hangout that serves delicious eclectic food in the heart of Nice"

Read more at Suite101: La Petite Maison Restaurant in Nice - a Review: Gourmet Dining with the Stars in the South of France http://european-culinary-travel.sui...a_petite_maison_restaurant_nice#ixzz0ozFDGKzJ

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Being a Marine Biologist, the time I waste thinking about the Lance Case could be much better spent finishing articles for the Crustaceana Journal.

But anyway, what I want to know.....How did Lance get last-minute reservations at Nice's "La Petite Maison" earlier tonite? The waiting list there is months long I understand. Who did he have to bribe??

"Every night is a party at Nicole Rubi's superb restaurant La Petite Maison. The glittering celebrity hangout that serves delicious eclectic food in the heart of Nice"

Read more at Suite101: La Petite Maison Restaurant in Nice - a Review: Gourmet Dining with the Stars in the South of France http://european-culinary-travel.sui...a_petite_maison_restaurant_nice#ixzz0ozFDGKzJ

They're converting Euros to dollars as fast as they can. Lance is busy converting dollars to a safe haven. Why he'd chose France is beyond me.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
trompe le monde said:

I like Kirsten's response..."I don't recall that". Sounds a lot like Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and the South American investigation with Noriega.] Iran Contra scandal

NW

Neworld said:
I like Kirsten's response..."I don't recall that". Sounds a lot like Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and the South American investigation with Noriega.] Iran Contra scandal

NW

I think Landis may have confused Kirsten for Lance's Mum. Easy mistake. Or then again it could have been some other blonde women Landis is confused with. The Feds will allows this as they all look the same. If they do police lineup there's no way Landis will be able to tell them apart.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think Landis may have confused Kirsten for Lance's Mum. Easy mistake. Or then again it could have been some other blonde women Landis is confused with. The Feds will allows this as they all look the same. If they do police lineup there's no way Landis will be able to tell them apart.

I'll agree with BossHogg for the first time. I'm a fan of Lance, to be sure, but the whole thing about him banging an endless succession of chicks that look like his mom rings true.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Landis's mention of Kristin Armstrong, who was divorced from Lance in 2004, raises the possibility that the feds will question her. But Kristin told SI in a text message, "I have not been contacted, nor am I in communication with Floyd or anyone else." As for Landis's claim that he received EPO in her presence, Kristin wrote, "I don't remember that."

Well well, will she say that if/when federal investigator Jeff Novitzky comes a-knockin?
And is it believable that she hasnt been in communication with anyone alse, not even Armstrong or his advisors?

Aim for a 3, Novitzky!

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Doping, conspiracy, fraud, bribes and mommy issues?

this is getting kinda sick, could that angle come up in a future trial? I hope it is at least included on the TV movie.

Neworld said:

NW

As I've mentioned in another thread, she doesn't deny the possibility of it having happened. If someone claimed they saw my g/f deal drugs in my presence I'd be more like "WTF? Of course not", than "No, I can't remember that happening...".