The twilight zone called Portugal.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rafael Reis, a donkey who couldn't even hold a position on the PCT peloton, is about to win the ITT at Volta ao Algarve. This year, with a worse peloton, W52-Porco and other Portuguese riders are taking advantage and doing a mini Grandíssima in May.

Barely lost in the end to Asgreen, but still a huge performance for such a rider.

Last edited:
Rafael Reis, a donkey who couldn't even hold a position on the PCT peloton, is about to win the ITT at Volta ao Algarve. This year, with a worse peloton, W52-Porco and other Portuguese riders are taking advantage and doing a mini Grandíssima in May.

Barely lost in the end to Asgreen, but still a huge performance for such a rider.
Calling him a donkey is harsh, the guy was a strong TTer in the junior and u23 ranks. 6th at the WC in 2010 (as a junior) and 4th in 2014 (in the u23 ranks).

Calling him a donkey is harsh, the guy was a strong TTer in the junior and u23 ranks. 6th at the WC in 2010 (as a junior) and 4th in 2014 (in the u23 ranks).
He's a donkey now. You're mentioning a result eight years ago and another one eleven years ago. Yeah, he was a good promise, but never evolved past that.

He transferred to Caja Rural a few years ago and returned to CycloTugão aka Portugal because he couldn't hold a spot in PCT. That's how harsh my assessment is. Now, all of a sudden he beats Benjamin Thomas in a medium range ITT... Sounds legit.

Porco just detonated the climb to Malhão and get the GC with João Rodrigues.

Porco gets the better off Sky.

Grandíssima stuff in the middle of May.
I quite like seeing these w52 minions best the top world tour teams at their own game. Given the things they've done in the Volta, Rodrigues, Brandao and Antunes on paper should be bossing Algarve. More so at least than sprinter Hayter and 83 kg Asgreen

I quite like seeing these w52 minions best the top world tour teams at their own game. Given the things they've done in the Volta, Rodrigues, Brandao and Antunes on paper should be bossing Algarve. More so at least than sprinter Hayter and 83 kg Asgreen
They had 3 guys in the top5 today. Yet everytime they leave Portugal they either get popped or dropped. Ofc Hayter and Asgreen climbing so well is a joke too, but this was some serious Grandíssima vibes today by Porco.

Reactions: Ripper
They had 3 guys in the top5 today. Yet everytime they leave Portugal they either get popped or dropped. Ofc Hayter and Asgreen climbing so well is a joke too, but this was some serious Grandíssima vibes today by Porco.
Is this because, even with all the dope in the world, they are just not as fast as the super talent+program folks? I mean, they won and were all over everything. But Asgreen was 3rd in a stage race with a considerable climb in it. And Hayter. That says something, no?

Portugal is an interesting bike racing place!

Our prayers were answered: https://movistarteam.com/en/races/race/volta-a-portugal-2021

It's probably going to be a weak team but please bring someone with a bit of pedigree so he can get crushed. Please, please, please. It's gonna be so good.
It's too close to the Tour and the Vuelta team will largely be in Burgos which is overlapping. I'd expect Oliveira, the trackies and them testing the recovery on some of the young guns they don't want to send to a GT yet, like Abner González and Íñigo Elosegui. Maybe somebody like Pedrero or Cataldo as leader. I think the rouleur corps like Jacobs, Hollmann and García Cortina will be in Poland.

The problem is, we already know Valverde is doing the Vuelta. He would be the de facto, no-brainer choice for leading the team at the Volta a Portugal, as he's the perfect age to peak for it.

It's too close to the Tour and the Vuelta team will largely be in Burgos which is overlapping. I'd expect Oliveira, the trackies and them testing the recovery on some of the young guns they don't want to send to a GT yet, like Abner González and Íñigo Elosegui. Maybe somebody like Pedrero or Cataldo as leader. I think the rouleur corps like Jacobs, Hollmann and García Cortina will be in Poland.

The problem is, we already know Valverde is doing the Vuelta. He would be the de facto, no-brainer choice for leading the team at the Volta a Portugal, as he's the perfect age to peak for it.
Valverde will Rebellin it at Grandíssima in his late 40's. We just need to wait a few more years.

Abner was the first name the popped in my mind. If he finishes within half an hour he's GT TOP 10 material for sure...

Someone on the level of Pedrero would be amazing although Cataldo is a better fit age wise...

Jan 29, 2021
Valverde at the Volta would've been Christmas. Some things are too good to be true
The volta is a world apart, even pogi and roglic have afraid of come to portugal, they know that they have no chance!
They know that they beat easily quintana, thomas, bernal, yates, but not alarcon!

Reactions: bigcog
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fmk_RoI The Clinic 23

ASK THE COMMUNITY