• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The twilight zone called Portugal.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's right, yes. However, it got held against him more because it was the year that Euskaltel folded, so Movistar, having already contracted Marque before the Euskaltel collapse, used it as a pretext to void the contract and free up some funds which they used to hire Igor Antón who had held on longer than many of his teammates and was therefore available at a comparative bargain price.

Reactions: carolina
My understanding is Nocentini rides for a CT team which are not part of the Biological passport program - I must be missing information.
I think Nocentini has been part of a year-long anti-doping investigation by CONI. They can put any rider into biological passport. What he isn't is part of CADF testing pool where this happens automatically once you are at World Tour & Pro Conti level. ie once International level.

Reactions: yaco
Nocentini suggested that blood samples taken during the Volta a Portugal in uncontrolled conditions might be at fault.
"On more than one occasion with my teammates we wanted to refuse to undergo tests in unsanitary or inappropriate situations," but said riders were afraid to complain. "Once I had two tubes of blood taken and at the end of the check they gave me one in my hand, saying it was extra and I could keep it as a souvenir. Another time I had to take the test in the hotel lobby because, they said, there wasn't even a free room."
He said that during the Tour of Portugal at the centre of the dispute, "I remember that it was very hot and we had pointed out that the samples could not remain for 2 or 3 hours at 50°C. In the checks I was subjected to at home, they rightly checked the temperature of the environment."

Should be relative simply for him to prove the temperature issue as the kits come with a temperature logger and this log is used by the labs to determine if the samples have been in conditions outside the expected criteria.
If Nocentini's samples have been improperly stored which has resulted in a false positive, he only has himself to blame.
Have you heard the Nocentini story?
Yesterday he got tested, but they didn't know where to store the B sample, so they just gave it back to him, making the whole test meaningless because of the missing B sample.
Source: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2017/08/...-sorpresa-antidoping-provetta-tuttobiciweb.it

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Balarcón was kind of way more obvious than them, though.

Like, not even kidding.
Just politics bro! Next thing you know they are gonna go after Rui Sousa.

Alarcon had the skills to become a good rouleur, he finished Paris-Roubaix as a neopro (69th place) ahead of future winners like Terpstra (2 years older than Raul) and Vansummeren (5 years older than Raul).
He didn't get another pro contract after SD/Scott folded and went back to the Spanish amateur ranks, in 2010 he won the Copa de España amateur de ciclismo, the individual ranking on the Spanish amateur/CT scene.
While his climbing performances in the Vuelta remain the stuff of legend and make even the most hardcore Volta a Portugal fans shake their heads in disbelief, the guy had the talent to be a good rouleur/one day racer.

Just politics bro! Next thing you know they are gonna go after Rui Sousa.

Alarcon had the skills to become a good rouleur, he finished Paris-Roubaix as a neopro (69th place) ahead of future winners like Terpstra (2 years older than Raul) and Vansummeren (5 years older than Raul).
He didn't get another pro contract after SD/Scott folded and went back to the Spanish amateur ranks, in 2010 he won the Copa de España amateur de ciclismo, the individual ranking on the Spanish amateur/CT scene.
While his climbing performances in the Vuelta remain the stuff of legend and make even the most hardcore Volta a Portugal fans shake their heads in disbelief, the guy had the talent to be a good rouleur/one day racer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6J-c8qPgtk&t=4692s