• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The twilight zone called Portugal.

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorry to spam the topic, but this just keeps on getting better:
View: https://twitter.com/CabineSport/status/1548801330713706499?s=20&t=eiVLunYE0L9iRw0GQGcQ8Q

It says that serynges and blood bags were found by the Portuguese anti doping agency (ADOP). The source is kind of a tabloid so not ideal but it doesn't surprise me. It was totally mask off, no worries about anything.

The same source is also claiming that only Amaro has escaped the investigation, but I'd add "so far". Don't believe they're not going to find links to him, specially as the main winner in the last years. They also said Neves is involved so the celebration we saw today is gonna be short lived.

Finally, GP Joaquim Agostinho a few weeks ago barred them from competing unlike these clowns at Douro Internacional. The organization can always just barred them and that would it.

If they aren't barred, they need to find 5 guys in the next two weeks. Improbable, but it's Porco so, not entirely impossible.
Torres Vedras is a UCI-categorised race while Douro is not, though, which is probably why they could get away with inviting W52.

I'm really sorry to double post again but this one is kind of fresh: needles and banned substances were found during the searches. Mind you, they not only searched the hotel where the riders were staying at the time (before GP O Jogo) but also their homes.

Everyone is either suspended or about to except Antunes. Don't know exactly why, particularly considering he's been glowing, but if I had to guess because his WT experience at least thought him not to keep that kind of stuff in this own home. Guess that experience wasn't passed long to his team mates, kek...

Anyway, the excuse is this: the stuff that was found isn't the cyclists', it's their families'. So pretty original.

I'm not sure what's the excuse is gonna be for the blood bags that were also mentioned a few days ago but perhaps they weren't at their homes. A bit unsure about this detail for now.

I don't have a source for you just yet, but in a few days time some more details are gonna come out in the Portuguese sports press when they announce the rest of the suspensions.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
Rosón and Gaspar are actually reasonable possibilities, given Gaspar signed with a Portuguese team after his suspension ended only for Covid problems to prevent him actually taking up the contract. I guess the big problem they'll have though is that there really aren't many Iberian riders without pro deals who are performing at a decent enough level and could reasonably want that potential hazard on their CV, I mean if you're Fernando Tercero or Alejandro Franco right now, 20-21 year old strong prospects in the Spanish amateur scene, do you ride for W52 for a glimpse of pro life but knowing that you've forever got that association?

I guess they're therefore better served looking at some of the older journeymen in the Spanish and Portuguese amateur scenes, especially in Galicia - but then how competitive are they likely to be? Can they scrounge some of the guys from the Japanese teams like Marcos García? Rubén Caseny and Benjamí Prades (back from Japan in his old age) have been showing up in a few amateur results, they're past 35 and have some international results, they would be reasonable pickups, no? Eloy Teruel or Salvador Guardiola perhaps? I haven't seen Javi Chacón in any results yet this year but he was active until last season at least? Gabi Reguero perhaps?

Do they throw some money at Daniel Silva or Fabio Silvestre to come back... or David de la Fuente?

Actually... come to think of it... if they throw some money at David de la Fuente... did his running buddy's suspension not end last month? Could we see mythical Bisonte de la Pesa?

No, of course we won't, it's eight years since he entered a race and more since he raced competitively... but wouldn't that just be something?

Reactions: zlev11
Rosón and Gaspar are actually reasonable possibilities, given Gaspar signed with a Portuguese team after his suspension ended only for Covid problems to prevent him actually taking up the contract. I guess the big problem they'll have though is that there really aren't many Iberian riders without pro deals who are performing at a decent enough level and could reasonably want that potential hazard on their CV, I mean if you're Fernando Tercero or Alejandro Franco right now, 20-21 year old strong prospects in the Spanish amateur scene, do you ride for W52 for a glimpse of pro life but knowing that you've forever got that association?

I guess they're therefore better served looking at some of the older journeymen in the Spanish and Portuguese amateur scenes, especially in Galicia - but then how competitive are they likely to be? Can they scrounge some of the guys from the Japanese teams like Marcos García? Rubén Caseny and Benjamí Prades (back from Japan in his old age) have been showing up in a few amateur results, they're past 35 and have some international results, they would be reasonable pickups, no? Eloy Teruel or Salvador Guardiola perhaps? I haven't seen Javi Chacón in any results yet this year but he was active until last season at least? Gabi Reguero perhaps?

Do they throw some money at Daniel Silva or Fabio Silvestre to come back... or David de la Fuente?

Actually... come to think of it... if they throw some money at David de la Fuente... did his running buddy's suspension not end last month? Could we see mythical Bisonte de la Pesa?

No, of course we won't, it's eight years since he entered a race and more since he raced competitively... but wouldn't that just be something?
Obvious Rui Sosa comeback is obvious.
Sadly Frolov will probably not be an option. He'll race some more races in Vietnam but for the Volta him getting a Visa while being Russian might be a bit much to ask in such a short timeframe.

Obvious Rui Sosa comeback is obvious.
Sadly Frolov will probably not be an option. He'll race some more races in Vietnam but for the Volta him getting a Visa while being Russian might be a bit much to ask in such a short timeframe.
I'd also want to see Stanislau Bazhkou if we're getting guys from the sanctioned world. He'd probably work well in Portugal on his skillset if he can cope with the heat, but I basically came to like him because of Hanna.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
Gazprom rider should be avaible :cool::cool:.

Quintanilha (w52 boss) say that they put a injunction (dont know if is the right word on English) in hope that can use the suspended riders ... Lets see what court say.

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
On media its not clear to were they are making the appeal.

But if i have to guess, a portuguese court its easy to have some kind of influence with a name like Porto on the back (or any other big football club).

Even if they won't be able to get visas for the Russian Rusvelo guys or Cosmonaut Frolov in time, they could maybe still try to go full villain mode and sign Alexandre Geniez? I mean, the Portuguese scene has always thrived on signing 30+ riders not wanted anywhere else...

Ficara should also be available.
A bit too late now, but Portugal would have been perfect for a JTL comeback.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS